SAU Community

Bf F6 Typhoon

Amir

a few people are now driving the bf typhoon in 6 spd auto. Went onto ford forum and it looks like it can pull a low to mid 13sec 1/4 std. In gear acceleration should wollop any std GTR, with 550nm from 2000-5000rpm.

Ive been contemplating for a while to either get a moderately modded R33 or the bf typhoon and its not an easy choice.

have any of you come across the tyhoon on the roads to see how they go?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a few people are now driving the bf typhoon in 6 spd auto. Went onto ford forum and it looks like it can pull a low to mid 13sec 1/4 std. In gear acceleration should wollop any std GTR, with 550nm from 2000-5000rpm.

Ive been contemplating for a while to either get a moderately modded R33 or the bf typhoon and its not an easy choice.

Wollop any std GTR? Aren't the 1/4 specs on GTR's in the low 13's?

My standardish GTR ran 12.4.

They are completely different cars. If you need 4 doors, and to tow a caravan, go the ford. If you want a sports car, and no need to tow a caravan, go the GTR.

personal choice tho :nyaanyaa:

since i'm so extremely, heavily and utterly in love with skylines, there's no way in hell I would chose anything else. 15 years of living with holden and ford advertisements and they still haven't convinced me on either. In fact, everytime I see a ford or holden ad, my love for the skyline goes up a notch................

my 2 cents.

^^

Good luck wolloping GTRS with your typhoon, your best hope will be to keep up with one in a drag race . 9 times out of 10 you will see the rear exhaust of the GTR. I know they have more power and more torque but the have to haul 200 kg extra too .

Edited by wrxhoon

My friend got a turbo Falcon new when they first came out.So far,2 diffs,3 waterpumps,4 front disc rotors have been replaced by Ford,plus numerous smaller problems.He is THE most conservative guy I know.He bought the car with views to modifying but changed his mind and is patiently waiting for the lease to run out.Maybe he just got a bad one.Maybe not.I thought of getting one 18 months ago,he turned me off with his horror story.

I hope the new ones are better because I have owned about 20 Ford V8's in the past,and I would like a new Typhoon.

Its been posted before torque doesnt mean much unless you are towing a caravan when u are draging the gtr.....but it would be good to see in real life tho

No offense - but thats a load of bollocks.

Anyhow - Typhoon and GTR are two very different cars. I don't know why you'd bother comparing them.

My friend got a turbo Falcon new when they first came out.So far,2 diffs,3 waterpumps,4 front disc rotors have been replaced by Ford,plus numerous smaller problems.He is THE most conservative guy I know.He bought the car with views to modifying but changed his mind and is patiently waiting for the lease to run out.Maybe he just got a bad one.Maybe not.I thought of getting one 18 months ago,he turned me off with his horror story.

I hope the new ones are better because I have owned about 20 Ford V8's in the past,and I would like a new Typhoon.

haha thank god it would of been under warrenty for him :blink:

Good luck wolloping GTRS with your typhoon, your best hope will be to keep up with one in a drag race . 9 times out of 10 you will see the rear exhaust of the GTR. I know they have more power and more torque but the have to haul 200 kg extra too .

When I said wollop, I was referring to ingear acceleration, not from a standing start like in a drag. The torque is what will pull one car away from another and the f6s figure is substantially higher than the GTRs.

Dont get me wrong Im also a skyline nut (have owned 2). The f6 is about as close to a local car that can be compared to the GTR. Several months ago they compared (wheels) a R34 GTR, typhoon and a charger- they said the better car by miles was the typhoon. Now the Bf model with 6spd auto is even faster than that model they tested.

Would not be caught dead in a Falcon - any Falcon.

In Germany we say:

"Ford fahren - nach Hause laufen"

Roughly translates as:

"Drive forth (Ford) - walk home"

Sums up my experiences of the blue oval :-)

If you are compairing a f6 to a gtr then you need to join the ford forums and buy an f6 as stated above...

True SAU followers (brain washed by the skyline) would not ask that sorta question. I mean their not even in the same catergory of cars.

whilst i am of the opinion with most guys on here, sure the skyline gtr kicks ass and is a true "pacesetter" as far as its history and heritage and racing merits are concerened but i do give ford a lot of credit for trying something new.

they've done something new and its come out thumbs up, as far as market demand and even hype over the new ford models which are avaiable thanks to the r&d of the xr6 turbo. im sure garrett would be fairly happy right about now being their suppier for most of the oem parts too.

that being said i think its a great car (and range) and they've done well, i dont believe the aim is to compete with the skyline gtr and other such high performance sports/track cars but they've certaintly come close it to not by intention i dont believe. i believe their aim was to more go against hsv but also on a new turbo level instead of just plain old v8s

amir: buy one.. get your low 13's.. come back with a timeslip. Then we'll believe it.

I had a look on XR6 Turbo forums to see what their quickest Typhoon times were:

13.22 Pass XR6 Turbo forums

13.2 Pass XR6 Turbo Forums

Magazines are running about 13.9 on average.

Note that magazine times measure with a VBox or Corviet or other measuring equipment will always be slightly slower than strip times due to roll out. Those few inches before you trip the timing beams can be worth several tenths at the strip. Wheels or Motor (can't remember which) compared VBox 1/4 mile times of a Porsche 911 Turbo S, and that ran 11's on the strip, but could "only" manage a 12.2ish on their VBox. And no there wasn't a problem with the VBox!

0.7 seconds is too big of a different to attribute only to roll out though - the 13.2 must have been an exceptional run!

I think with a rolling start a Typhoon would have a real shot at running down a stock GTR, but from a standing start the Typhoon just can't get the power down like a GTR :P

Guest Mashrock

why would you buy a r33..??

why would you pay 60 something for a ford, when you could buy a r34 gtr for around that price

Insurance for one thing - I was quoted $1200 for an F6 a GTR was over $4000. Also New Car Factory warranty is important to some.

I don't think you can compare the two cars though - they are completley different. The F6 with the ZF 6-speed is an awesome car but not quicker than a GTR. Then again it is not designed to be, it is a big, comfy cruiser, with massive pace when you want it. It won't outhandle an AWD Skyline but it is surprisingly good steer for a large RWD sedan. 11/12's are easily obtainable for about $1500 outlay.