SAU Community

Which Would You Choose

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well seeing as though a rb25 half cut for a series 2 is around the $4500 without brakes, and a 1jz half cut with manual box is $4200 (working off quotes i have recieved) so i don't think it is as rediculous as what you think. i also got a quote from my mechanic that he would only charge me an extra $600 for installation for the 1jz compared to the rb25.

Edited by snuffle_uffugus

then the problems of the exhaust etc etc etc etc etc

Its harder than you think as the motors are reversed, the pan allows for the motor one way, not the other, lots of fabrication. Far more than $600

Then there is the whole engineering side of it, gearbox mouting etc etc etc

I wouldnt even consider the Toyota motors, simple reason the turbo / exhaust is on the wrong side for starters :)

Secondly, the wiring issues etc, gearbox etc all means too hard when there is a simpler alternative. I doubt an RB25 is as stron...but im of the beleif provided you arent running more then 1.2-1.3bar of boost then a well tuned/modified RB25 will happily live at 280-310rwkws....and odds are if you can afford the gear to get to that power level you can afford the price of a set of pistons and balanced GTR rods?!?!?!?

well the thing is my friend has already done the conversion and he left the stock dumps as they are expensive to change, but he went through the same mechanic as im going to go through and he said he only charged my mate an extra $600 to do the conversion compared to an rb25 conversion.

he used the standard ca18 engine mounts made custom gearbox mounts and custom tail shaft and besides that it was just a bolt in affair, the extra exaust yes to change to the other side but he saved plumbing in plumbing cost as he didn't have to do the run around in the engine bay.

as to do with the wiring bit more dramas hooking up the speedo and tacho but everything else cost the same with the auto electrician.

you can check out the conversion via this link.

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...howtopic=132278

just after some opionons as which way you would go, taking into account the half cut is an extra $300. the whole conversion will cost an extra $300 to do the whole thing.

cheers

Can I ask why your not wanting to use the SR20? What's the intended use for the car?

Stroker kits (HKS, Tomei etc) are falling in price all the time and can transform the SR into a seriously torquey motor.

The weight distribution will be more suited towards road/track work and the rebuild costs will obviously be less with a 4 cyl.

i feel that a four cylinder is going to be too laggy and not as streetable as a 6 cylinder would be. i just recently sold the ca as a package with motor gearbox loom so on and so forth.

so by the time i bought an sr20 and built it seems rather pointless if you ask me considering the cost of building a stroked sr20.

also what happens god forbid soemthign happens with and oil pump or the car leans out (or in my case some how my sump plug falls which actually happened to me but in my case i found out beffore i ran out of oil)o and i pop the motor i will have to pay for a new rebuild where as you can buy a 1jz half cut for 2200 (automatic) that includes everything so i think that the sr20, altough a good motor isn't the way i want to go i am looking at making a 300rwkw daily driver. i think a 4 cylidner at that kinda power would be a bit of a pig on the road with lag and so on. this is just my opionon and im wanting to discuss it so i make the right decsion thanks for the advice.

cheers

Edited by snuffle_uffugus

mate, i say stick with the SR20, lot easier in terms of insurance/ engineering/ rego not to mention you are upsetting the balance of te car (yes, i know there are many cars with the 6cyl conversion, but Nissan designed them with the 4)

for the price of the conversion you are considering, you can get a HKS turbo, ECU, Pump, injectors, I/C... the list is endless and it will eat the stock 1JZ or RB25.....

added -

just noticed you had the CA and offloaded it.... I still vote the SR20.

If you go ahead with the 6cyl, consider the upgrades avail and their costs.

Edited by DAN00H

i feel that a four cylinder is going to be too laggy and not as streetable as a 6 cylinder would be. i just recently sold the ca as a package with motor gearbox loom so on and so forth.

so by the time i bought an sr20 and built it seems rather pointless if you ask me considering the cost of building a stroked sr20.

also what happens god forbid soemthign happens with and oil pump or the car leans out (or in my case some how my sump plug falls which actually happened to me but in my case i found out beffore i ran out of oil)o and i pop the motor i will have to pay for a new rebuild where as you can buy a 1jz half cut for 2200 (automatic) that includes everything so i think that the sr20, altough a good motor isn't the way i want to go i am looking at making a 300rwkw daily driver. i think a 4 cylidner at that kinda power would be a bit of a pig on the road with lag and so on. this is just my opionon and im wanting to discuss it so i make the right decsion thanks for the advice.

cheers

Before deciding, try to arrange a drive in a stroked SR with a well matched terb (and of course a well tuned ECU). I have driven an S15 with an HKS 2.2L kit and was amazed at the off boost torque.

Edited by Gav

well to buy a sr20det half cut you are looking at $3500 then you look at the price of building it... atleast $8,000 decent rebuilding including head gasket stroker kit bearings and machining and so on (including labour), and that doesn't include labour on fitting the motor give it will only be like $500 or so labour and then allow for parts and materials. you are still stuck with a bog stock motor that is just rebuilt.... and i still get back to the fact that rebuilt motors can blow, whether just from too much power and thrashing it to much, or whether it is from bad luck with something going wrong like leaning out in one of the cylinders and poping the motor (i know it is highly unlikly but it can happen) then i gotta pull the motor out and rebuild it yet again then there goes thousands of more dollars...

can you guys see where im comming from, where as with the rb25 and 1jz they are pretty strong internally stnadard and if they blow after a year or 2 i can just replace with another stock motor which would set me back $1,000 for the motor istead of another rebuild. also if you setup your suspension correctly you can get the car handling pretty close to the way it handles with the four cylinder.

can you see my side of it or do you still think sr20 is the go?

1jz is deffinatly able to make more power with the stock internals over the Rb25, that goes without saying, however the Rb25 would be a much simpler install then the 1jz and the $600 you would save coulld then be spent elswhere to improve the 25 and make it a much better package over all.