SAU Community

Rb31dett - Twin Turbo Selection

I am wanting to use a twin turbo setup for my build up but I cannot decide what turbo's to chose from.

I have seen a site where a GTR in Japan was using twin GT3037s but I cannot find the specs of the turbos.

I am chasing big power and I will have the components to support the power...

A little help maybe?

Thanks

Veilside have a green r32 thats running twin 3037's, making around 1000hp (i think), 0-300kb/hr in 13sec.

i have a video of it, i think most people have seen it. i believe its still stock displacement too, but dont quote me..

what happened to that crazy 200sx you had ?

Edited by mokompri

twin 3040's is the only way to go for twins at around 1000!!! Much wider available turbo to, 3037 are good but look to the japs for this one most of their experience denotes that even on a 2.6 for drags 3037 is the choice of a racer who wants to get out of the hole with better low down response but sacrifices soem top end, 3040s should be in around 5000RPM on a 3 litre would be my guess and that still gives you some room to move. Plus their is a greater selection of manufactureres that make a 3040!!! hope this helps

Veilside have a green r32 thats running twin 3037's, making around 1000hp (i think), 0-300kb/hr in 13sec.

i have a video of it, i think most people have seen it. i believe its still stock displacement too, but dont quote me..

i'm pretty sure the veilside car is using veilside/HKS 3040s or 3240s. cant remember which but i was standing next to it talking to the owner about a month ago so i should have paid more attention. lol

Up to you but when running twins of this size I would lean towards the HKS versions because their detail changes generally better suit a model specific application .

Their variant of the GT3040 uses a smaller trim compressor than the generic Garrettt version . The GT3240 is a real orphan , GT35 turbine ground back from 68 to around 64mm and a 54T GT40 compressor . Only one turbine housing (.82 T28 flange) available for its unique turbine . Both of these are slightly compressor flow biased but when used in pairs on 2.6L they need to be this way to "spool" south of the redline

and not go backwards at gear change time .

Really need to know its intended use because even a drag car has to have a usable rev range where a dyno queen could run near the redline and have its maximum torque output at this point .

Just on the subject of twins/singles do you really have to have twin turbos as there are singles capable of feeding 1000Hp . If this project got to the trial and error stage and you had to fiddle housings to get the power where you want it a single is far cheaper and easier to "tune" if you see what I mean . I reckon std GTR's are a plumbing nightmare but when the turbos grow ....

It could be worth looking into Garrett GT42R/T51R turbos as something of this nature is almost certainly going to be lighter/more compact/cheaper/simpler .

Cheers A .

i'm pretty sure the veilside car is using veilside/HKS 3040s or 3240s. cant remember which but i was standing next to it talking to the owner about a month ago so i should have paid more attention. lol

your probably right, i cant quite remember, ill check the video. 3037's will only flow 300rwkw each (only haha..) too so either the turbos are wrong or im quoting the wrong amount of power.

something i found for you, ~1000hp GTR, although it doesnt give much info on the turbo used:

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_1560/article.html

what i found interesting was they claim to be running 12.9:1 AFR's under load. and again according to the article/nizpro this engine would cost 40K to build.

and also this one, not a GTR but pulling 1000hp:

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2311/article.html

again the turbo choice is kept a secret, but both these 1000hp setups are running singles.

Nizpro turbo on the BA is a custom item from a certain place i know of not far from Nizpro... :laugh:

i love the first part of the RB26 article

With vital statistics like that, it's no surprise that this is the most powerful RB26DETT engine ever bolted together in Australia

Yeah, pity it isnt an RB26 :laugh:

Rather an RB26/31 if im correct

I still have it.

SR20 is going out and the RB31 is going in.

I would prefer to sacrifice top end to have a better response down low. I will try and find a comparison (specs) between the specs of the 3040 and 3037.

Some good info so far though, keep it coming!

P.S.

I am not looking to buy any turbos from anyone. I have accounts for a few suppliers so there is no need to PM me with what you have available.

Pretty sure it used Veilside GT3540's, a slightly modified version of the HKS 3540.

Grab some HKS 3540's, theyre commonly for sale on Yahoo Auctions in Japan at a decent price. Quickest GTR in the world runs these turbos too ;)

Edited by Amaru

if your chasing 1000hp.. wat about a T51r spl? i'd imagine on a extremely strong 3litre would be insane

or if you really have gone that insane wat about a setup like GTR700

HKS 58mm external GT-Pro spec wastegates (x2)

VeilSide/GT exhaust manifolds (x2), split as 2 banks of 3 cylinders, each feeding one turbocharger and an external wastegate

VeilSide/SPL GT-3540 turbo chargers (x2) with uprated customised GT-42 compressor wheels and compressor/exhaust housings

[200] I'll save you the trouble .

HKS GT3040 Turbine is GT30 (60 x 55mm) 84trim .

Compressor is 82mm 50 Trim GT40

HKS GT3240 Turbine is GT35 cropped from 68mm to ~ 64mm still in 84 Trim . (~ 64 x 58.8mm)

Compressor is 82mm 54 Trim GT40

Many spec sheets for the GT3240 turbine show 54 x 58.8 which is a misprint and leads many to believe its a slightly modified GT30 turbine which its not .

Will have to look into HKS 3540 and Veilside GT3540 because they're new to me .

Note Simon Gisgus (sp?) uses large singles on his I6's , I would not think there's anything groundbreaking about them except their size . Note that Simon in the past was using blow off valves to vent the compressor outlet rather than using a wastegate to bypass the turbine to control turbine/compressor speed and boost .

Also note the torque limit of the XR6 engine was capped at I think 800 while the rev limit was raised to 8000 . Without being insulting I am curious to know if this was done purely to reach the Hp number ie Hp = torque x engine speed .

Cheers A .

Edited by discopotato03

• 2 weeks later...