SAU Community

Converting A Turbo R33 To N/a Non Turbo !?

my girlfriend got the turbo taken off her 25t about 3 years ago for the same reason. took it to a few mechanics and majority of them just laughed and said it was not possible, but obviously they didnt know ****. anyway, a few parts were simply replaced with those necessary off a na engine and a few pipes were blocked.

ran ritch as a bitch while it was off but its back on now with no problems. cost about 800 to take it off and 800 to put it back on - got the work done at hills motorsports in sydney. when shopping for a na, we only went down the path of buying a turbo car because we got the car so cheap that it would be stupid not to do it!

it sucks you've driven it before hand though, cos now you'll know what your missing over the next few years! on the other hand, it will give you time to learn to drive properly before you put yourself unsupervised behind the wheel of what litereally is a weapon. if i had my car when i was on my p's i probably wouldnt be here writing this message.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

800? from hills motorsports? is that just the parts, or parts + labour? thats not too bad at all, i might just do that, what was it like to drive after the conversion? apart from the lack of turbo, was the car very sluggish? well putting it out there, selling a 33gtst, looking for 8.5k at this stage, if anyone wants it before i chop its balls off or any more info, let me know, located in sydney. thanks guys for all the help though, even though i grave dug this thread, lol.

price was labour only. parts were not much at all, we just left them there after we did the conversion back to turbo so they are probably still there if you wanted them. car ran ok, just like a standard gts.

Edited by KR4-GTR

i would kill for the parts, if it is at all possible, i would love to get my hands on them, and they provide mod plate right? so can be driven under new laws, i dont want to stiff some poor p plater, lol.

cheers

i would kill for the parts, if it is at all possible, i would love to get my hands on them, and they provide mod plate right? so can be driven under new laws, i dont want to stiff some poor p plater, lol.

cheers

we didnt have a mod plate? haha - didnt think you needed one?

maybe you should just leave it as is - turbo and just not put p's on it. :)

if u got pulled over, you'd be twice as ****ed, but atleast you'd go down in style.

Edited by KR4-GTR

ndawg keen, but im in sydney. and kr34, LOL, dont worry, its been done, but i am off my p's, its not the problem, i need to sell my gtst, but gts's fetch more these days cause p platers can buy em, and anyone that can drive a gtst now can afford a gtr, lol, so hard sell, hence the conversion. but yea, anyone that can help me out with the parts, much appreciated, cheers.

In that case talk to Dori34, he's in mid-conversion. I fly down Sydney/Wollongong a few times a year not sure the next time I'll be down that way though.

Legally as per the OP's comments - couldn't you just get an old blown turbo - rip out the wheels and shaft and stick a bolt in it's place?

It is essentially the same thing as messing around with NA manifolds etc

That way your P plater purchaser could then just put a good turbo back on once they are off there P's.

haha you could just rip the guts out of the turbo but the P plater is going to

hav a hard time trying to convince a cop that its non turbo when the turbo

is sitting right there!

• 1 month later...

i am looking at doing this to, i have 2 skylines one is stock and the other is turbocharged, can i just take both my cars in get the ecu's and the extractors swapped over then get both the cars tuned? or would there be more to it?

i dont know if this sends me a notification that someone replies to me so if possibly drop us an email [email protected]...

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I was actually going to do the same thing with a 180SX Turbo because its hard to find non turbo ones (SR20's 1997-1998 model) but i ended up not doing it because it was a big hassle car has to be retuned after parts are swapped compression would be screwed up so i called it quits are searched for an NA Skyline R33/S13 because i'm on my P's.

my girlfriend got the turbo taken off her 25t about 3 years ago for the same reason. took it to a few mechanics and majority of them just laughed and said it was not possible, but obviously they didnt know ****. anyway, a few parts were simply replaced with those necessary off a na engine and a few pipes were blocked.

ran ritch as a bitch while it was off but its back on now with no problems. cost about 800 to take it off and 800 to put it back on - got the work done at hills motorsports in sydney. when shopping for a na, we only went down the path of buying a turbo car because we got the car so cheap that it would be stupid not to do it!

it sucks you've driven it before hand though, cos now you'll know what your missing over the next few years! on the other hand, it will give you time to learn to drive properly before you put yourself unsupervised behind the wheel of what litereally is a weapon. if i had my car when i was on my p's i probably wouldnt be here writing this message.

actually they would've known that it could phsically be done, but that it would result in a car with much less power than a normal NA version and couldn't be bothered wasting their time on such a pointless excercise. i'm pretty sure that someone in another thread said that their mate did this and on the dyno the car only made 65kw at the wheels.

infact i found a link to the guys post.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=4775249

actually they would've known that it could phsically be done, but that it would result in a car with much less power than a normal NA version and couldn't be bothered wasting their time on such a pointless excercise. i'm pretty sure that someone in another thread said that their mate did this and on the dyno the car only made 65kw at the wheels.

infact i found a link to the guys post.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=4775249

Correct, but not all of the power loss was because of the compression. Comparing the two a GTS25t has a bit more driveline loss when compared to a GTS25 which runs what looks like an RB20DET gearbox. So, yes it is pretty pointless as you'll be driving a low compression N/A with a turbo tranny that'll be sucking up more power, and that loss will only start to increase if you have an Auto tranny. Best solution? Hell i found it cheaper to get a GTS25t, drop in RB25DE, 20DET Box and sell turbo parts off. In the end you'll end up with a N/A skyline with the 5stud brakes, making similar power to a normal N/A liner.

For example:

N/A R33 - Price boosted by P plater laws - $12,000

Turbo 33 - $8,000

RB25DE - $1,000

20DET box - $800 (best price i found)

Labour - Depends, i do most of my own work though. lets say $2000

Thats $11,800

Now sell off your box and motor

25DET - $1,700

25DEt Box - $1,500

Total: $8,600

There you go, unless you can get an N/A 33 for under 8k its not really worth it.

Edited by Super Drager

• 2 weeks later...

But I thought even if you convert a turbo to an NA, it is still illegal to drive it when on your P's, because at the end of the day, it is still registered as a turbo.

If not then, they could dick you for engine modification lol, because in VIC, when you are on your P's, you cannot mod the engine in any ways.

changing the gearbox to an RB20 one is pointless. why change a perfectly good and strong box for one that will require a modified tailshaft, has a mechanical spedo drive and is no where near as tough.

You can keep the standard 25t box in there, but it won't be making the power of a standard N/A due to larger driveline loss although that doesn't matter to some people. As for engine modification, thats not the case in NSW. Word from the RTA is that aslong as it's non turbo its legal.

• 3 months later...

Hmm... I was thinking about doing this exact same thing due to P-plate restrictions.

Seems like it's a better idea to go the NA route into Turbo.

Good luck with your conversion Coco.