SAU Community

Whos Buying A Ps3

HR32_GTS-T

Ahh it is if you compare proper australian ps3 units. Not hong kong, japanese, units which won't support psx, ps2 games from australia or blu ray movies from australia. I know when i get my ps3 it will definetly be an aussie unit. just for those reasons alone.

Yes I was talking about AUS PS3s, they are much cheaper on eBay full stop. Hundreds of dollars cheaper than retailers in fact. Everything is cheaper on eBay typically.

Edited by geno8r

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if they are even 100 dollars cheaper than retail they are far bellow cost price from sony australia.

got any examples?

It’s just economics, bulk wholesale buying, lower business costs via the internet, no shock really. Search eBay & you'll see yourself. Surely you could have easily done that yourself if you really wanted proof? You don’t me to find you an example, you seem computer literate enough.

actualyl even though kralster is a bit of a whinger I do agree with him a little. stuff on ebay is no longer (comparitively) as cheap as it once was.

example. I bought a game that was coming out. retail was $90. got it on ebay for about $65, $10 postage and it took about 8 days to get to me (which pissed me off as I wanted it in a hurry). the next day after bidding on it I was in JB HiFi, and sure enough, there was the game priced within a dollar of what I paid for the other one (inc post) and I could have had it on the spot, and returned it easily if problems etc.

another example. I'm getting a new TV for the living room. A sony braxia X series 40". retail is around $4500. most places have it atm for around $4000. cheapest on ebay is $3600 + post. I walked into JB, said, c'mon you can do better than $3900, he straight out said, ok how about $3600? and of course there is always room to negotiate a little further.

another example. I just bought a creative zen micro 5gb mp3 player from harvey norman. it was marked down from $399 to $80. I've looked on ebay and there are none cheaper than $150.

so I no longer blindly buy stuff of ebay. always check the real world price.

and having owned a japese ps3 at launch when I buy another one it will be aussie version and I will probably buy it from a retail store. I just hope they are not made in china.

yea i saw that... plus $20 shipping, its a hell of a lot cheaper than going instore, but i have since found out the bidding quwirk that ebay has with their last highest bid system. I have to set myself a target price that im willing to pay and hope for the best.

Theres two more good ones for sale tonight around 10pm so im trying my luck with those. Ill be happy with anything less than $760

actualyl even though kralster is a bit of a whinger I do agree with him a little. stuff on ebay is no longer (comparitively) as cheap as it once was.

example. I bought a game that was coming out. retail was $90. got it on ebay for about $65, $10 postage and it took about 8 days to get to me (which pissed me off as I wanted it in a hurry). the next day after bidding on it I was in JB HiFi, and sure enough, there was the game priced within a dollar of what I paid for the other one (inc post) and I could have had it on the spot, and returned it easily if problems etc.

another example. I'm getting a new TV for the living room. A sony braxia X series 40". retail is around $4500. most places have it atm for around $4000. cheapest on ebay is $3600 + post. I walked into JB, said, c'mon you can do better than $3900, he straight out said, ok how about $3600? and of course there is always room to negotiate a little further.

another example. I just bought a creative zen micro 5gb mp3 player from harvey norman. it was marked down from $399 to $80. I've looked on ebay and there are none cheaper than $150.

so I no longer blindly buy stuff of ebay. always check the real world price.

and having owned a japese ps3 at launch when I buy another one it will be aussie version and I will probably buy it from a retail store. I just hope they are not made in china.

Yeah I'd agree TVs can well priced in retail stores, I got my LCD at a very good price from JB. As for games on eBay, I've purchased them 25% cheaper via eBay & had quick delivery, no problems there. Yes sometimes you can get better deals in retail stores, but remember I said "typically" when I said eBay sells stuff cheaper, not “absolutely”.

Yeah I'd agree TVs can well priced in retail stores, I got my LCD at a very good price from JB. As for games on eBay, I've purchased them 25% cheaper via eBay & had quick delivery, no problems there. Yes sometimes you can get better deals in retail stores, but remember I said "typically" when I said eBay sells stuff cheaper, not “absolutely”.

yeah it's true. I just meant a year or two ago pretty much everything could be had cheaper on ebay. now it seems it's worth hassling retail stores as you can sometimes beat the ebay prices.

Ahh it is if you compare proper australian ps3 units. Not hong kong, japanese, units which won't support psx, ps2 games from australia or blu ray movies from australia. I know when i get my ps3 it will definetly be an aussie unit. just for those reasons alone.

PSX & PS2 ? buy a ps2 for like $50 if you want to play the old titles.. Bluray? by the time region encoding truly kicks in, standalone bluray players with more features will be probably around $300-400 mark.

These days, really, by the time you factor in $50 shipping, console for around $700AUD and a transformer you won't save much though so it doesn't make sense to only save $100 you're right. Few June specials around now on PS3 as well here in Oz.

Ebay has always been a rip.. I love it for selling, buy very little.

If you want to buy games online, gameswarehouse.com.au, gamehead.com.au, and jbhifi.com.au all have pretty good prices. If you buy 2-3 at a time you'll discount the shipping cost and may work out a bit cheaper than most stores.

It's hard with the retail environment at the moment - the games are very much fixed by the publisher, and to some extent the hardware manufacturers.

If a few retailers have a whinge about any other retailer trying to sell games too much lower than the RRP, therefore cutting into their profits, they'll quickly let the top of the chain know that they may consider not selling titles from that publisher, or entire console altogether. Obviously then pressure can be exerted from the top on that retailer to ensure that prices don't go too low.

Rumour has it the reason the PS3 is $999 here, and not $720 ish as per japan and the US, is that Harvey Norman and some of the larger retailers demanded that Sony gave them a RRP price, that allowed a $200 or so profit on each console. Their old model used to be 'as long as we make it up on the games its ok', but I guess they got sick of that... and soon as people pirate too many games they lose out on sales as well.