SAU Community

Whos Buying A Ps3

HR32_GTS-T

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PSX & PS2 ? buy a ps2 for like $50 if you want to play the old titles.. Bluray? by the time region encoding truly kicks in, standalone bluray players with more features will be probably around $300-400 mark.

These days, really, by the time you factor in $50 shipping, console for around $700AUD and a transformer you won't save much though so it doesn't make sense to only save $100 you're right. Few June specials around now on PS3 as well here in Oz.

Ebay has always been a rip.. I love it for selling, buy very little.

If you want to buy games online, gameswarehouse.com.au, gamehead.com.au, and jbhifi.com.au all have pretty good prices. If you buy 2-3 at a time you'll discount the shipping cost and may work out a bit cheaper than most stores.

It's hard with the retail environment at the moment - the games are very much fixed by the publisher, and to some extent the hardware manufacturers.

If a few retailers have a whinge about any other retailer trying to sell games too much lower than the RRP, therefore cutting into their profits, they'll quickly let the top of the chain know that they may consider not selling titles from that publisher, or entire console altogether. Obviously then pressure can be exerted from the top on that retailer to ensure that prices don't go too low.

Rumour has it the reason the PS3 is $999 here, and not $720 ish as per japan and the US, is that Harvey Norman and some of the larger retailers demanded that Sony gave them a RRP price, that allowed a $200 or so profit on each console. Their old model used to be 'as long as we make it up on the games its ok', but I guess they got sick of that... and soon as people pirate too many games they lose out on sales as well.

Ok so

PS3 ebay - 700

Blu ray - 350

PS2 console - 100

TOTAL 1150 plus shipping

Buying a PS3 of the store for 999.95 PRICELESS.

I work for a videogame wholesaler here in Australia. And i know how it all works. It doesn't matter if places like JB sell games and consoles cheaper because there is nothing that independents can do to beat that. there is no way that places like harvey norman are making a margin that big on ps3 consoles. It is just impossible.

yahoo auction is where its at :)

thats where i got my ps3 and 2x games and in the end it was alot cheaper :)

just about to buy an 30gig video ipod cant go pass $200 from yahoo auction :)

nothing wrong with a jap spec ps3 :) buying blu-ray stuff from usa and japan will be cheaper than buying it locally and im sure in time somesort of action-reply/gameshark will come out that allows you to play any region dvds.

Ok so

PS3 ebay - 700

Blu ray - 350

PS2 console - 100

TOTAL 1150 plus shipping

Buying a PS3 of the store for 999.95 PRICELESS.

Total 1150?

What dimension are you living in? Where'd you pull "Blu ray - 350" from>?

I'll simplify it down for you:

AUS PS3 eBay: $700 - $800 *cheaper full stop.*

AUS PS3 from retailers: $1000.

Edited by geno8r

. there is no way that places like harvey norman are making a margin that big on ps3 consoles. It is just impossible.

I don't know exactly how much they are making.. however, the large retailers definitely have a big influence..

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/T9U8X2Q9

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/K2H9K2K6

SHN knows that Harvey Norman demands up to 17% margin then an additional 25% for sell through plus additional money for C0-OP advertising in Harvey Norman Media which last year was a massive profit centre for the mass market retailer. In the USA the same gaming system is sub $600.
There will be no price cuts for the PS3 in Australia as the gaming console is selling as expected, claims Sony Computer Entertainment boss Michael Ephraim.

He claims that despite the lowering of build costs the product will not be cut in price as the cost of going to market in Australia is significantly higher than the US market. "Sales have gone well and between now and the Xmas selling period we see no need to cut prices as we are confident that we will reach our targets" said Ephraim.

On the question of the price difference wetween the USA and Australia where a PS3 unit sells for $995 Vs $599 in the USA, he said, "Like the UK, the price of going to market is a lot more expensive". When asked specifically whether he meant the margins that SCE had to pay the likes of Harvey Norman he said, "Yes, retailers want a lot more margin than US retailers. In addition we also sell through distributors into certain outlets . This adds an additional cost."

In Australia Harvey Norman is taking as much as 45% of the cost of a CE product sold in their stores. This consists of a 17% margin, 25% for achieving targets and additional money for co-op advertising as well as additional money for training. All of these costs are past onto consumers who are being forced to pay some of the highest prices for CE products in the world.

Total 1150?

What dimension are you living in? Where'd you pull "Blu ray - 350" from>?

I'll simplify it down for you:

AUS PS3 eBay: $700 - $800 *cheaper full stop.*

AUS PS3 from retailers: $1000.

I'm replying to predator. Who says your better to buy an oversea's ps3 to play ps3 games, a "cheap standalone blu ray player to play blu ray movies, and an old ps2 to play your ps2 games.

Do you need me to simplify it for your?

As I said before... the shelf price of a ps3 now is $845.00 so yes you could save a little from ebay, but not as much as when they were $1000....

Where is that from?

as there has been no official price drop.

Both GameTraders and EB Games here in Perth have dropped the price....

Gametraders are selling the Aus spec PS3 with hi-def cable included for $850 and EB Games in the Perth CBD are selling their PS3 for $845.

And thats without a trade in or any other fancy offer.... walk in and thats the price.. :P

Although who can complain for $760 to your door :O

i used to work for SONY. still got my account since they didn't bother to cancel it.

**logs into the www.sony.com.au website**

ah crap its not that much cheaper :action-smiley-069: $850.

bought my ps3 a while back, downloaded gt concept hd just the other day and been playn it on my 50" plasma, the drift is fun but, the race still needs a little improvement, altho it is a demo.....

I got mine yesterday and it was worth the wait. I also got a HDTV as well cause my old TV was crap and Resistance is one of the best games I have played. I got ridge racer 7 and Motorman as well. Dont know what the others are like as I cant stop playing resistance.

Edited by smurf80

nice setup Wink. i bought one of those BigW Acer LCD 32" TVs that was some ridiculous price about 2 weeks back. best $690 ive ever spent!!! pitty they were sold out where but Mittagong had to drive through shithole Cambelltown to get there hahaha but so worth it!!!