SAU Community

Hicas Question

Tebie

gday

lately when ive been starting my car the hicas light has been coming on

can anyone tell me what this is?>

ive got the slightest idea what this is for.

ive checked everything and all fluid levels are not near minimum so i dont know what going on

after the car has been on for a little while and the engine has warmed up a little the light turns off

any info would be great

thanks

chris

Does it stay on when it rains? Could be a bit of moisture in one your connections that dries out when its warm, give them all a spray with lanox, when the light is out of course. My2c.

it usually comes on in the morning when its cold

i park my car in an underground carpark so its not covered in over night moisture or wet in anyway...

• 1 year later...

i have the same problem..when i start iut when its cold or if i havnt driven it for a while the hicas light will stay on for a few minutes/until the car has warmed up

ive checked the power steering fluid but its just below max

does anybody no what is going on it pisses me off???

if that was for the op, r33's have electric hicas. The res in the boot of 32's is for the 4wd system, hicas uses the normal power steering res in the engine bay.

vinnie32gts4: have you tried doing a hicas diagnostic to see what faults have occurred?

Edited by heller44

i hv r33 4doors,since i change my steering wheel my hicas light is on when i drive 10km more...could anyone tell me wots wrong and does it effect the car lyk handling? it is expensive to do hicas diagnosis? thanks

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/HI...icas+diagnostic

your problem looks to be more related to the steering wheel change, the boss kit should have been hicas compatable, if generic then it probably wont be and won't have the *bits* for the steering wheel angle sensor mechanism, then faults.

Edited by heller44

Stupid question: Has an R33 got a seperate res for hicas fluid or is it incorperated in with the power steering fluid res ???? My hicas light comes on at wierd times too mainly when just putting 'round town. Only occaisionly does it come on when giving it a bootfull through the hills

Hmmm.... Don't think the HICAS has anything to do with the steering wheel... Well not that I know of, anyway...

Maybe check out the HICAS fuse in the fuse box or something, thats all I can think of.

Steering wheel angle is one of the inputs the hicas uses to calculate to response.

If the power steering is fine for about the first ~5mins then goes hard, then the fuse is definately allright as the control unit obviously has power, fuses don't come good again after the car is restarted.

james.

If you have an after market boss kit, if its not the right one it wont line up with the sensors for the Hicas. Which means the hicas computer thinks you are always turning.

Normally if this is a problem if you are driving with out turning the steering wheel much, say on the freeway, the light comes on after around 10mins because to the computer thinks you have been going round and round in circles!

The other problem ive had is that the Hicas computer is pretty voltage sensertive so with the age of the cars you get voltage drop across plug connectors or old wiring and if your running many accessoires as well they can add to the problem. This problem normally just causing the system to reset. When it does you lose power steering for about 1 second and the light comes on and goes off.

The light also comes on when fluid is low. Which is the pump in the front. The res. in the back is for the 4WD.

Steering wheel angle is one of the inputs the hicas uses to calculate to response.

If the power steering is fine for about the first ~5mins then goes hard, then the fuse is definately allright as the control unit obviously has power, fuses don't come good again after the car is restarted.

james.

I see! Thanks :blush:

Jamie

how do i do a hicas dignostics???

the wird thing ive noticed is round a few weeks ago i got new tyres put on and seom adjustable castor arms..i told the guy to do a wheel allignment but after the ew tyres and castor arms were on i noticed that when the steering wheel is straight the car pulls to the left a bit so i have to turn the steering wheel to the right to compensate but my hicas light wasnt on then...only in the past week or two has my hicas light stayed on after start up and then gone away after a min or 2 of driving.

Another thing ive noticed is that say the light has just gone off after driving if i go round a round a bout or drop it back a gear and give it a bit then the light will flash back on and off

im maybe thinking the guy didnt do a wheel alignment or my steering wheel wasnt put on straight coz my power steering fluid is just below max

The wheels need to be aligned with the steering wheel straight (not align the wheels, then make the steering wheel match).

Did they adjust the castor settings evenly when they did the alignment? Uneven castor will cause the car to "pull" to one side.