SAU Community

Any Current R34 Gtr Owners Up For Some Purchasing Advice?

Hi all,

I am seriously in the market for a mint R34 GTR. I currently am leaning towards buying one locally in Australia unless other owners suggest otherwise as it is alot of money that I would rather have something to show for asap rather then wait weeks/months etc.

Just need some advice on what to look for, recommendations etc?

I live in Darwin and previously had a R33 GTR and loved it but, now it is time to step u to the plate.

I can not offer any advise on 34GTR's, but I see this one every day driving to work

Considering it is a 2001 model and very low Ks, and has some good extra's fitted, it is well priced at 70K

You would be hard pressed to import a 2001 model much cheaper and have to hope it is in as good as condition.

http://www.streetmachines.com.au

post-14923-1158635336.jpg

I've seen that one listed @ street machines and what turns me off is the speedo has been wound back from 22 odd to now around 9K...it even says so on the details!

It is a very clean looking car though...

It hasn,t been wound back, it has an aftermarket Nismo 320KM speedo cluster fitted which cost approx $650

All jap cars have 180km speedo fitted, so it is not a un-common upgrade, esp in a GTR

A car of this age and quality should have the Jap log books to verify

At least you live in the NT so you will get a chance to go past 180km/hr :O

Dont own one, but thought id just add this..

I know you said you dont want to import, but I see R34's on J-Spec Imports go at some pretty decent prices. Im not sure, but ive heard J-Spec are very good with the quality of there cars and such too.

Meh, ill just link what made me post this.. there's a 34GTR going for $60, 400 landed and complied, which is a freakin' good price to my knowledge.. Grade 4 condition..

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=7881

Thats a non v spec - hence the price.

Dont own one, but thought id just add this..

I know you said you dont want to import, but I see R34's on J-Spec Imports go at some pretty decent prices. Im not sure, but ive heard J-Spec are very good with the quality of there cars and such too.

Meh, ill just link what made me post this.. there's a 34GTR going for $60, 400 landed and complied, which is a freakin' good price to my knowledge.. Grade 4 condition..

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=7881

sleepyboi - Thanks for that link....V Spec or notm that R34 GTR is cheap and hopefully has a good history behind it....will make an enquiry tomoorrow about that one....just wish I found one in Bayside Blue :woot:)

darrinspencer - On the site it says "Nismo 320khp Dash which was changed at 22300km and now showing 9387km" which sounds to me like it was wound back? Please explain if I am wrong....

Edit - It may be a total of 31,687 racked up but, it only 'shows' 9,387klms.....I'd rather it show what it's really done...Wouldnt you?

Edited by JUN R33

Doesnt mean its been wound back - when the Nismo dash goes in they start back at 0km - they do not continue from where the stock dash was upto.

JUN R33 - dont settle for a non v-spec car or one that doesnt meet your criteria (colour, etc) just because its cheap - you will regret it later.

Dan

sleepyboi - Thanks for that link....V Spec or notm that R34 GTR is cheap and hopefully has a good history behind it....will make an enquiry tomoorrow about that one....just wish I found one in Bayside Blue >_<)

darrinspencer - On the site it says "Nismo 320khp Dash which was changed at 22300km and now showing 9387km" which sounds to me like it was wound back? Please explain if I am wrong....

Edit - It may be a total of 31,687 racked up but, it only 'shows' 9,387klms.....I'd rather it show what it's really done...Wouldnt you?

v-spec means very little if you plan to change the suspension, and if you have problems with the active diff you'll regret it, although they work fine until then and there seems no difference in handling on the track. Non v-specs are equipped with a mechanical 2-way diff at the rear.

But yes, get the colour you want. Purple is good >_<

I have one and I'd say there isn't really much to look for when buying them. Maybe if you are definitely after a V Spec make sure it has the diffusers and the full 7 point MFD display (Non V Spec only has 5 point I think). But as mentioned the actual advantage of the V Spec rear diff is questionable. I've infact removed mine and gone to a mechanical diff but the car is mostly used for motorsports.

Personally I do see advantages in buying locally. The one major thing that can be wrong in these cars quite often is the gearbox. So if you can drive the car and check all the gears out thats a huge advantage because unlike the R32/R33 gearboxes the Getrag is damn expensive to repair. Also - if you have in mind a few of the "normal" mods these cars get (ECU, Suspension, Cam Gears, EXhaust etc) then buying one locally with these already fitted etc generally means you aren't saving that much if anything if importing. My quick look on carsales showed the white one in QLD with the CSC brakes to be a good deal but if Bayside Blue is what you want the Clayton one sounds ok too.

In my opinion the non-Vspecs look a bit silly and I would not buy one.

The lack of the lower lip on the front bar is quite striking and takes a lot of the personality away from the front end.

The rear diffuser is a nice bonus and fills the rear end out as well.

The diff, well, it's better than the standard diff I gather and I have never heard of one going bad on a 34. I really cant say that i've tried them back to back.

I mean for the price difference (small) you are going to have to wonder why you'd bother with a non-Vspec. I know now that even if I was going to save 5 or 6k I probably still would've gone with the V-Spec like I did.

My thoughts exactly Kris - the non v spec 34's look akward to me.

In my opinion the non-Vspecs look a bit silly and I would not buy one.

The lack of the lower lip on the front bar is quite striking and takes a lot of the personality away from the front end.

The rear diffuser is a nice bonus and fills the rear end out as well.

The diff, well, it's better than the standard diff I gather and I have never heard of one going bad on a 34. I really cant say that i've tried them back to back.

I mean for the price difference (small) you are going to have to wonder why you'd bother with a non-Vspec. I know now that even if I was going to save 5 or 6k I probably still would've gone with the V-Spec like I did.

Nice replys guys.

I wasnt aware of the exterior looks difference between the V and non-V Spec GTR's so I guess I'll have to check it out.

How many extra do V Spec models usually command over a std GTR?

I am also interested in ricknismo's GTR but, I dont think he would come down to my asking price (PM sent Rick!)

J-Spec have currently got 2 SWEET looking R's just begging to be in my driveway.....GOD!! too many choices.

Dear GOD, take a look on J-Spec NOW!

3 Skylines, all 34GTR V-Specs going from 60 - 70k and all looks farking hawt!

1.jpg

Great Looking Stocker, $62, 800 - http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=7967

1.jpg

Some nice Light Mods, $64, 200 - http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=7966

1.jpg

TEH SECKS, $66, 000 - http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=7965

All prices are landed and complied btw.

Take your pick. :ermm:

Edited by sleepyboi