SAU Community

Brake Pads.

JimX

I want to upgrade my pads. I was going to go for the RB74's, but it seems they are very loud (squealy) and create a lot of brake dust, neither of which I particularly want.

One of the other primary candidates is EBC Green stuff, but in my opinion they cost too much and wear out too quickly. I think I'd rather put up with the dust and noise of the RB74.

However I was wondering, the people getting noise from their RB74's, do you have slotted discs? The slots are meant to help with glazing/noise but I don't know how much, if at all. If slotted rotors fixed the noise problem I could put up with the dust.

I will also consider other options! (but not Bendix pads)

/me kicks Duncan in da nuts :)

Ok, the reason why I don't want Bendix again is because I had Ultimates in my previous car (VS Commodore). I could get the pads to fade VERY easily, just with spirited street driving. This isn't even exceeding the speed limit, just accelerating hard up to the limit and braking hard whenever required.

The worst incident was after one night's hooning with a carful of passengers I went to pull up in a dead end street and it took about 3 seconds for the pads to bite even though my foot was hard on the brakes. I'm lucky I didn't mount the curb! I drove home sedately after that and decided to not buy Bendix pads anymore.

Keep in mind that these were the Ultimates, which have a lot of dust and chew rotors probably around the same as the RB74's, but they're only rated to 550 degrees. Since these are the best Bendix have to offer, I can't see myself buying Bendix pads again unless they come up with something better.

Oh, can someone pleeease tell me where to buy the RB74's? A lot of you seem to have them, where can I get them from?

Racebrakes

Sydney - 0296091101

Melbourne - 0393266088

Originally posted by JimX

Oh, can someone pleeease tell me where to buy the RB74's? A lot of you seem to have them, where can I get them from?

*Ouch*

I use ultimates on the track all the time, I do get some fade, but never serious. And I'm sure there's witnesses to agree I don't go easy on them :)

Another possible cause/contribution to the fade you had in the commodore is old brake fluid, if you use top quality fluid and change it every 3 months you may find significantly better stopping. Also, the skyline has bigger rotors on a lighter car and therefore is not as prone to fade.

The reason I'd still suggest them is as you go for more serious (track style) pads, the louder/squeakier and dustier they become, and in the case of some high end race style pads they stop worse than regular pads when they are cold (ie 99% of the time on the road).

Duncan, I'm thinking that most of the brake fade on the Commodore was attributed to the small rotors with single pot callipers, so I probably *wouldn't* get anywhere near as much fade on the Skyline. Old brake fluid could also be a contributing factor though. I'll never know, because soon after that incident I replaced the front brakes with the twin pot VT's. Problem mostly solved :P Though I still got some fade on the cheaper but still heavy duty pads.

But even still, the Ultimates are only rated to 550 degrees and are dusty as hell and hurt your rotors, I'm just thinking that for similar money and side effects the RB74 would be a better choice. Have we got any options other than Ultimates, RB74's, or Greenstuff?

Ta for the info Poyz. If I can't find any other alternatives I think I'll get the RB74's.

Guest Boxhead

jimx - can you point me in the right direction on some info on the internet about rb74s please, i have to get new pads for myn, and am tryin to get the best for my dollar, i dont wanna spend too much, but around the ultimates sorta price range.

Guest Boxhead

yes but it comes down to a fact if you will use that extra stuff they offer, or you will just use normal not as much dusty ones,

coz maybe not all of us go to track every weekend etc dont need the top dollar prices

talkign about this, its very important how u wear the brakes in for the first few hundred kms, i bought some shit pads for my commodore and they kinda stayed on and got very hot, and dint breakin propley, all the time after that i had lots of dust and squeeling, put new ones in did it all propley and it worked fine.

• 3 weeks later...

CAR R32 GTR

STOCK ROTORS

DOT 4 castrol brake fluid

Stock Nissan GTR pads worked quite well up to a point, high wear rate, low dust not much noise, average pedal feel though

Bendix Ultimate. fade very easily, lots of dust, lots of smoke, but for $85 per end you can not expect a lot. I put these on because I could not get anything else quickly

Pagid RS4-2. no fade yet, some dust, they squeal quite a lot, good pedal feel, and great initial bite. the main problem is the price approx $400 each end.

CAR RX7

Have also used mintex comp pads but not on a datsun. they squeal when cold, good feel though, price was about $200 an end.

JimX,

Ever consider it was the (crap) Holden brakes, nothing to do with the pads.

I have Ultimates on my R32, and over Easter did some sprints (4 lap sets) at Willowbank. Never experienced any sign of fade.

Yes they are dusty, but I haven't any experience of them chewing rotors.

I reckon - bang-for-your-buck - you can't go past them.

Im running ebc greenstuff, very quiet, though pretty average pads, sure they stop but really didn't impress me.

Im looking at getting into the group buy for new rotors, and getting ferdo rs2000 or perhaps the 2500. These pads seem to have the best rep from what ive read.

think they come in round 150-200 each?

i endorse street pads that work first time, everytime.

rb's dont have the same cold bite as ultimates, if you fade ultimates then IMHO your going way to hard on public roads.

i have RB74's for the track, and ultimates for street.

Originally posted by blind_elk

JimX,

I have Ultimates on my R32, and over Easter did some sprints (4 lap sets) at Willowbank. Never experienced any sign of fade.

Hey, blind_elk, what type of "bang" for your buck are you referring to? :)

Originally posted by blind_elk

JimX,

Yeah the more I think about it, the more it was just because the rotors were too small on the Commodore. The Skyline has MUCH bigger brakes, and the car is like 100kg lighter too (compared to VS V8). 550 degrees still isn't very hot to have your pads fade, but I'm guessing it would be a lot harder to break that barrier on a Skyline.

I think I will consider Ultimates again for my next set of pads :) Although the dust is VERY annoying to me. Are the RB74's any more or less dusty?