SAU Community

Catch Can Installed

sky_hi

ok i got my catch can from just jap the other night. installed it today n went for a small hard drive just on low boost. n its already filled it up to about a little over half full. prolly about 500mL. sound like screwed piston rings to you blokes. also i have an issue sometimes where while im driving the car will just cut out n eventually it comes back alive. this seams to happen when going for a hit but i got a guy to follow me n when it happens no smoke comes out the pipe or anything.

Any ideas.

Cheers

You sure its been installed properly? Did it burn alot of oil before hand?

ye the install is as follows.

if u look at motor from front of car u have left and right rocker covers. the input to the can is taken from the breather coming out the top hole on the right rocker cover and then goes throught the tank and back out where it used to be installed. can somebody tell me if this is correct if not give me a step by step listing and pics if possible on how to do it. cheers

Yes was using alot of oil before but it was just filling up the intercooler.

Was burning oil but not at the moment as its catching in the can. but fills up rather quike

Oil Pressure is fine according to the gauge.

Cheers

If that's blow by he must have a blown engine.

ye well thats the wierd thing it still runs like its a demon from hell. it is still a very fast car and has been like this for ages now probably about 5-6 months.

strange

i have had my catch can installed for over a year running around 17-20 psi of boost. opened up my catch can the other day and there was nothing inside it.. is this a bad thing? i expected a lil something??

i have had my catch can installed for over a year running around 17-20 psi of boost. opened up my catch can the other day and there was nothing inside it.. is this a bad thing? i expected a lil something??

well i think it depends on whether u have it re-circulating back into the sump or not. mine is just a can that catchs it before going to the inlet pipe. what happens if u plumb it so it goes to the sump again. i think there is a pipe u can split n put a t piece on. would this screw up ur pressure though. also i was doing some more testing in the wet today just doing some sideways stuff to see what would happen n the motor was cutting in and out on me. does this sound like maybe a ignition problem rather than a oil thing?

coil packs? i dont want some retard going on about performance plug packs from splitfire because i dont understand how some little company thinks they can do it way better than nissan can. whats the purpose for changing these coils. is it simply because they are way cheaper and still offer a good run? can somebody tell me if this is the usual symptoms of my motor cutting in and out at high rpm. it will cut out then instantly start again.

Cheers

sorry for going a bit off topic.

By cutting in and out do you mean misfire? The splitfire coils aren't neccessarily better, they are exactly the same as stock, however they are brand new, not 20 years old. Hence the better performance. Higher boost then stock and aged cracked coils means a weaker spark that can get blown out at high rpm. Try gapping your plugs down to .8 and then .6 and also try glueing/taping your stock coils up. Theres lots and lots of threads on this go have a read. Should be able to fix your problem.

By cutting in and out do you mean misfire? The splitfire coils aren't neccessarily better, they are exactly the same as stock, however they are brand new, not 20 years old. Hence the better performance. Higher boost then stock and aged cracked coils means a weaker spark that can get blown out at high rpm. Try gapping your plugs down to .8 and then .6 and also try glueing/taping your stock coils up. Theres lots and lots of threads on this go have a read. Should be able to fix your problem.

cheers rolls so i take it they are pretty much the same thing at half the price or something would that be correct?

callum

i have the exact some problem i just instaled the catch can ith a breather the car runs good but sometimes cuts out i checked the catch can and there is no oil in there at all

Edited by xxx_25L

ok i got my catch can from just jap the other night. installed it today n went for a small hard drive just on low boost. n its already filled it up to about a little over half full. prolly about 500mL. sound like screwed piston rings to you blokes. also i have an issue sometimes where while im driving the car will just cut out n eventually it comes back alive. this seams to happen when going for a hit but i got a guy to follow me n when it happens no smoke comes out the pipe or anything.

Any ideas.

Cheers

Half a can!!!!!!!!! You got problems, I wonder if somebody installed an incorrect [or installed it in reverse] head gasket or something, it sounds like your flooding your head/rockers with oil and its not getting back to the sump quick enough. Something is stopping it draining/flowing back. I don't go with the blown motor theory, you would definitely know if it was blown that bad.

Take it for a drive and then look in your rocker oil cap and see if its swimming in oil or just wet??

Could be a bad instal or a bad quality catch can. My mate had trouble with his coz i think the hoses were too small or some sort of pressure was wrong. Not sure tho

how can a catch can be bad? it's only bad when it has holes in it and leaks crap everywhere.. even a sealed milo can could be a catch can. :wave: