SAU Community

Japanese Restaurants In Sydney

Wink

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try ramen-kan in chatswood. opposite video ezy. very nice gyoza, very good katsu karee and good ramen. all very authentic too.

Yes I love that place too Richard.

The soft-shell crab they have there is divine!

Kris what do you think of that?

SushiYa Artarmon and Chatswood offer the same menu and are pretty great places to have an inexpensive Jap feed on the northside. You 100% need to book early as you probably know they both are fully booked until 8.30pm nearly every night. The sashimi is nearly always fresh but I have had two occasions where it has been not-so-fresh. So i still feel its a gamble to eat ONLY sashimi there.

My favourite dishes at SushiYa are:

- Cold soba tempura set (Summertime lunch or early dinner on a hot night) Sushiya is one of the only places in Sydney i've been able to get authentic Jap cold soba.

- Sashimi + Karaage set (lunch time) again Sushiya has consistently the best Karaage i've seen among the inexpensive Jap restaurants.

Good service too, Artarmon is easier for parking if you have a choice.

I disagree on Ramen Kan. It's good for the ability to just drop in and eat at since they are rarely very busy but the menu will quickly have you bored if you go back a few times. The soft shell crab is good but you can get the exact same dish elsewhere at the same price or less.

What always struck me as strange at Ramen kan was their inability to give you dry plates to eat off. You are always expected to do your own drying it seems.

Oh and the ramen is bland (except the tantan which is chinese anyway).

Don Cafe in chatswood is the same. Good as a novelty but it soon wears off.

There's a place in Hornsby Westfield.

you mean toyko ramen/tokyo sushi? i'm yet 2 try that. cos many like that are chinese/korean owned run.

oh yeah theres one called morning breeze(asakaze) in market city. also hikaru in newtown's quite nice.

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/cuisines/japanese.htm

also who's tried friend? (tomodachi) or fireworks? (hanabi)

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/hanabi.htm

A warning about Sushi Suma - Cleavland St Surry Hills, during the week they only have lunch till 2pm.

I found out once the hard way once ages ago, and then last week i walked over looking forward to some Teriyaki goodness but was turned away at 2:05, (and am still frustrated, i was craving the Teriyaki that day!) i knew i was forgetting something on the way there!!

Next time ill just have to eat twice as much to make up for it.

I've heard lots of good things about Sushi Suma, but last time I went into that area for a feed there was the usual queue out the door and it had just started to rain, and seeing as I was with a group and wanted to have a relaxed meal, we decided against waiting. Me thinks I might have to go in there for lunch one day soon. They don't kick you out once 2pm rolls in, I hope?

If you want Teppan Yaki, there was a great place in Parramatta/Harris Park right next to Harris Park station called Okori (or something similar). Not sure if it's still there.

Dammit, haven't had a good sushi or sashimi meal in ages.

I've also had an awesome Chicken Karaage at a little place in Bondi (away from the main street/beach), but I think it was also Korean-run - the waiter was, anyway, and couldn't speak any English, which made ordering difficult.

I've heard lots of good things about Sushi Suma, They don't kick you out once 2pm rolls in, I hope?

Nope they dont kick you out, around 2pm is the time when they stop letting new customers in :P

Lunch queues are pretty bad too! I wouldnt head there if you are in a rush, or if you are in a group of more than about 4, its just too hard! (especially if you have come from a fair distance, more dissapointment!)

• 2 weeks later...

Makoto just off Pitt St -nicish mid range priced food.

Zushi is the best sushi I've had in Sydney (I was born in Japan so get there if you like sushi)... it's a train type thing but high quality. Off Pitt/George Street near Chinatown (down the road from Gas and opposite the <something> theatre).

Teppenyaki joint opposite The Oaks in Neutral Bay is open late - decent food - not the best but to be open till 2-3am is a bonus.

Teppanyaki joint in Hosking Place between Pitt St and Castlereigh (i thinkit's castlereigh). Can't remember the name. Exxy but good if you have a lot of people.

Makoto in Chatswood is good mid range sushi train joint.

Fuuki is a nice little atmosphere joint in Crows Nest.

There's a nice place at the bottom of BT tower in the CBD (off market street). Can't remember the name.

hmm can't think of any more now :)

strange, dont think anyones mentioned Fujiya in the city, Level 1, 605 George St, (entrance on Goulburn St)

good food, great range, and they have huge tables which is awesome for large gatherings, price wise its not the cheapest but its not too bad.

strange, dont think anyones mentioned Fujiya in the city, Level 1, 605 George St, (entrance on Goulburn St)

good food, great range, and they have huge tables which is awesome for large gatherings, price wise its not the cheapest but its not too bad.

Yeah - I didn't mention it for a reason.

They are pretty slow as Richard said and the food is just average. If you're in the city your close to better places.

There is a little Jap resteraunt right next to Shellbourne pub that is actually awesome. It's called Asuma or something (not the same place as Azuma's) and its cheap and good so if i had the choice i'd skip Fujiya.

But yeah for large gatherings it's pretty damn good.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Kenta in Neutral bay last night for the first time, i had the teriyaki chicken special dinner which is:

teriyaki chicken with cabbage, tofu, plate of sushi and some miso soup and O M G i have never had a meal that large for that much money.

it was $16.90 and i can safely say that anyone will be full afterwards.

the sushi was good, i would say the chicken was way too salty and left my tongue burnt. the sauce was like salty paste glue.

the meal was so salty and large that i was in a dazed state for 2 hours afterwards, and took down litres of juice and water. dont eat that meal if you want to do anything useful afterwards as most body functions will be temporarily disabled due to all energy being used to digest and process the salt.

so IMO a massive but not that nice meal. that said i would definetly go back because i am a huge pig and can forgive average food if it is huge and cheap ;)

in a direct comparison with sushisuma's equivalent lunch combo, sushisuma wins hands down, it is a bit smaller but still a big meal that could feed two average people, and much better chicken. MUCH better :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update to this informative thread

I went to Dining Bar Musashi near Capitol Theatre last night and ordered

Sashimi (main) - $22

Wagyu Beef Teppanyaki - $17

BBQ Octopus entree - $9

Food was great (Wagyu Beef was really nice) and service was absolutely awesome.

I'm going to try Fujiya next.