SAU Community

Who here drove/driving a drive a skyline on p's??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol yeah i guess... Just enraged i wasn't informed you could use an out of state plate in another state and the driving age is the same as if u where in the state you got it registered....hrmm.. that sounds very confusing but i get it..lol

yeah sometimes i dont know whether its a good thing or a bad thing for L platers to learn on high powered cars. Its the only thing ive ever driven are turbo 6's and supercharged 8's and im surprised im living to tell the story..... they've taught me a lot about driving but at the same time ive come very close to killing myself on a few occasions.

License at 18 - is a little ridiculous tho - what states that?

Dont turn up for your driving exam in your line tho - i decided to leave the ZX at home that day and go for it in a demure old magna - it worked, got it first off - but if i did it in a high powered car i think the tester would of failed me.

Mannn.. MELBOURNE is 18.. and nah i dont think i'd be taking the exam in a skyline..lolz...

But yeah, when you say u are lucky to have ur a$$ pointing to the ground what do you mean? Like, was it the car's you think of was it wreckless driving? I've had mates older brothers kill themselves in imports.. it really is a sad way to go out... Not the way i plan to anywayz....

BoB

yeah i think the car i was driving wasnt the best for a P-plater - it had a very light backend that liked to drift haha specially in the wet didnt take much accelaration around a corner and u spun out - a few times i did just that took a corner and spun out luckily not hitting trees or anybody else - other couple of times was purely human error and my own stupidity - had a very close call dragging an SS commy one day haha. My skyline is a lot easier to handle, a lot more glued to the road and i can take corners as fast as i like and the backend usually pulls itself into line quickly.

My first car was a b'day present (yeah spoilt brat i know :P ) and the first thing my friends said was "oh my god her parents want her to kill herself in it" Friends like that who needs enemies? but im still alive and a little calmer now - thru my stupidity i think my ZX is fairly completely thrashed and i dont want the same for my skyline :P

Its a sad way to go - but if i had to die young its the way i would want to go - quick, having fun, and the coffin aint that bad either.

Vic power to weight ratio explained:

no more than 125kw's per tonne... example: Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T:

Weight: 1370kg (give or take) = 1.37 tonnes.

Power: 187kw (give or take)

187/1.37 = 136.5kw's per tonne. Illegal

But cops don't seem to care, there are lots of P platers driving over powered cars aroudn but technically u can get fined etc for it.

I've been driving a little Nissan Puslar hatch for a year now (got my P's April '02) as my parents wouldn't let me get a turbo about 6 months into my P's (80% my money too) So i've been waiting, saving!!! and most importantly gaining experience on the roads. And looks like i'm on target for saving $27k by October. So if i can make up my bloody mind, it will probably be R34 GT-T time. Still not sure.

I'm sure all this driving in a crappy hatch will help in the long run, well it migh not as well. I think doxx's idea is good, get the car and learn in it. So when u are on ur own u'll be real comfortable with the car, and u'll know how it reacts in lots of different conditions.

cheers.

The legal power to weight ratio allowed on your P's in Victoria is 125kw per tonne, which equals 187.5 for a 1.5tonne car. R33 gts-ts weigh about 1.37 tonnes, meaning you are allowed 171kw, and their actual power is 187kw. Firstly, would adding extra weight to bring it to 1.5tonne (187kw) make it legal? Secondly, if not what can/will the police do if you are slightly over, and what problems does it tend to present people. Also, what are people's experiences with getting insurance for such a car on their P's (I'm just after third party, fire and theft).

jon771-

Vic power to weight ratio explained:

no more than 125kw's per tonne... example: Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-T:

Weight: 1370kg (give or take) = 1.37 tonnes.

Power: 187kw (give or take)

187/1.37 = 136.5kw's per tonne. Illegal

"quoted from SS8_Gohan"

drove MR2 Turbo for most my time on p's,

also drove my R32 GTR for a few weeks on p's :P

single turbo conversion one :)

im now full license and fully legal to drive the GTR ;)

I drove a VW beetle. I had my silvers before I was 18. but the RTA lady said I had to have P plates on my car until I turned 18. So I wore them for my trip home, but somehow they "flew" off my car after I got out of sight of the RTA.

I used to drive my parents V6 magna a fair bit, which I thought was a gutsy car... Until I drove a skyline for the first time.

jon,

it doesn't matter how much weight you add as it goes by the tare weight on your rego sticker and what vicroads has in their computer. this is the weight of the car minus any liquids or anything when its made (or complied in this case). Even iff you add weight (like you do when you get into the car) it won't matter because the r33 engine is rated at 187kW and their tare weight is 1370kg. So if you want to get one then bite the bullet and hope you don't get tested.

As for punishment if you do get caught (which seems to be pretty rare by the sounds of things) i'm not sure but i suspect a liscense suspension.

Just cars will give you insurance with that car but rest assured that if you are in a crash then the insurance inspector will be pretty darn quick to point out that you are driving an illegal car and that you are not covered for the accident - and they may even tell the cops if its serious enough to get reported.

btw...for sake of the thread i'm on my P's and i drive an r32gtst (which is legal). Used to have an 87 supra and learnt heaps on that before i got this beast. 1 year left and full liscense!

As for punishment if you do get caught (which seems to be pretty rare by the sounds of things) i'm not sure but i suspect a liscense suspension.

wrong you jus receive a $105 or $115 fine, no suspensions

and all you guys say it is 187kw

some sources say it is 184kw

which one is correct?