SAU Community

Lighting Solution For S2 R33?

Ok so i have a s2 r33 and require a solution to my lighting delima. I originally bought a HID kit but then later sold it due to alot of things i read about HID in the s2 r33 reflector style assembly, being that you cant really direct the light properly and it will go to shit all over the place.

So i bought some of the ricer style mtec cosmic blue lights off the forum. Cheap, 6000k colour look (whitey blue), xenon gas filled halogens and i really like the look of them. Problem is they die! And obviously they arent very bright.

I have a set of philips vision plus in my high beams which are ok (not THAT bright if you ask me, our ford and commodores are WAY brighter and arent HID). So i dont know what solution is for me. I absolutely want the white colour of the lights, dont mind a slight tinge of blue, infact prefer it. I know i sacrifice illumination a bit but i've got acustomed too it so not worried. But are there any better quality bulbs like this out there?

Also who has installed HID in s2 R33's... is it really an issue with directing the light pattern? God i'd like to have them.

Ok so i have a s2 r33 and require a solution to my lighting delima. I originally bought a HID kit but then later sold it due to alot of things i read about HID in the s2 r33 reflector style assembly, being that you cant really direct the light properly and it will go to shit all over the place.

So i bought some of the ricer style mtec cosmic blue lights off the forum. Cheap, 6000k colour look (whitey blue), xenon gas filled halogens and i really like the look of them. Problem is they die! And obviously they arent very bright.

I have a set of philips vision plus in my high beams which are ok (not THAT bright if you ask me, our ford and commodores are WAY brighter and arent HID). So i dont know what solution is for me. I absolutely want the white colour of the lights, dont mind a slight tinge of blue, infact prefer it. I know i sacrifice illumination a bit but i've got acustomed too it so not worried. But are there any better quality bulbs like this out there?

Also who has installed HID in s2 R33's... is it really an issue with directing the light pattern? God i'd like to have them.

I too sold HID kit after finding out they would be crap in relfectors.

I bought mtec bulbs, they died 3 months later, also the light they projected was dim compared to my stock halogen bulbs.

My halogen bulbs light up the road well, also my headlights are not yellow, they are clean.

Make sure you clean yours too.

I too sold HID kit after finding out they would be crap in relfectors.

I bought mtec bulbs, they died 3 months later, also the light they projected was dim compared to my stock halogen bulbs.

My halogen bulbs light up the road well, also my headlights are not yellow, they are clean.

Make sure you clean yours too.

my headlights are not yellow either (scratched quite a bit tho) but i really like the whitey blue colour of the mtecs etc. just after something similiar but better quality and brightness if its possible. im ok with sacrificing the blue for a more whitey colour so long as its good. The stock lights were yellow in comparison so im not going back there again.

In the mean time im gonna buy another set of mtecs (4750k) and a set of R(4500k) racing ones off the forum aswell. should be able to find a better solution during the lifetime of both sets... i hope!!

Edited by Xizor

xixor, it's chris (97 gtst type m). I've changed my name.

Mate, like I was tellign you before, i've done a lot of experimentation on this, and I thought i'd save you the trouble and money.

I'm sorta like you. I am never happy until I get something. I'd prefer to buy something and find out that it's shit than to not buy and never know.

I am located in sydney, and I can probably arrange a demonstration for you sometime to show you the difference between oem reflector hid and my car's hid (it's shit, waste of money piece of crap).

The only issue is that i'm always away for business, or uni commitments etc. iv'e pmed you my number, and if you have any questions, feel free to call me.

I'm good with everything from retrofitting oem hid, maximising halogen light output through relay mod, and what are the best bulbs etc.

Dark, that article is spot on the money correct. I could not have said it better myself.

Daniel Sterns lighting, as well as hidplanet etc all say the same thing.

PS: I xixor, I know exactly what you mean about the falcons being brighter. I happen to have an au falcon, and that headlight is the brightest reflector I have ever seen. It all comes down to design of the reflector/projector unit. Keep in mind, that technology advances.

R32s probably have the worst headlights out of any car in the world. They have so little light that everyone winges about them.

r33s have improved quite a lot over the r32s. they put out probably 50-60% more light than the r ugly poo lights.

but then, au falcons are 2000 models, whereas, the r33 first came out in 1993, so that's 7 years there.

Ive had them for a while.. 3 months or so and no issues yet... Phillips is a very high quality brand I'd trust them a lot over no-name China crap.

I dont have any more pics yet, but I'll take some very soon!

Btw we have Diamond Vision too and theyre even more blue.. but I actually think the white is brighter, and looks better :(

Edited by SoFreshSoClean

yeah im sure the white is brighter. I just got some R racing 4500k bulbs off the forums here, they are white. dont have shit all blue tinge though so dont like them.

the mtecs were rted 4750k i think but the bulbs looked totally different was like a gas inside these R racing dont have that just are blue in colour... yet light seems to have no blue tinge. :(

Would really love to see more pics of your crystal vision and diamond vision globes in use!!!

if you want blueness trust me the diamond vision will not dissapoint, i have them in my s2 and my bro has them in his s15. He even ditched his phillips blue visions straight after i installed my diamond visions cos mine had a much bluer tinge on the white light. Ironically the phillips 'blue vision'(s) didn't look very blue at all, almost standard looking.

Xizor wants a colour which is significantly blue. I don't think that the crystal visions are blue enough for what he wants.

The diamond visions are the blueness that he wants, but the price is just ridicualous. All of the xenon filled bulbs overpower the filament. The result is more efficient halogen cycling, but as a result, bulb life is substantially lower.

Ordinary halogen bulbs basically never blow (reads ages and ages and ages. E.g. how often do your parents car's bulbs blow?

the 180$ price tag on the philips diamond vision is simply not worth it when it's just going to blow in a month anyways.

Rob likes the look of the mtecs, so for the price, he might as well buy those. you can buy 4 sets before you can get a set of diamond visions, so even if they blow that quick, they'll still last 4 times as long.

ugh, blue headlights.

I tried one set of tinted globes in my R31, because there was very little around in H3C and the bog standard type I could get from the local parts store weren't very impressive.

I might as well have had cataracts. Dim, blue light which didn't illuminate anywhere near as much as the boggo type, and the colour meant everything was glary. Sure, they looked sik bro, but the light output was actually dangerous. I threw them in the bin and did a wiring mod so I could run Plus-50 H3 bulbs instead. Much better.

On the R33, I have been tempted to install an HID kit but this thread is making me think it might not be the best idea. If I did go a kit I would go the lowest colour temperature that's available, I think it's 4100K which is what a lot of OEMs use. Failing that I would get nice bright globes - although the fact that Plus-50 et al seem to run their filaments hard (had them in the pulsar, didn't last very long) makes me think i shouldn't bother with installing relays if I go that route.

they arent THAT blue lol

I tlel you now, you gonna waste a lot of money on this "blue lights" crap. If you want nice lights then buy an R34 and install HIDs or even better, any car with projector headlamps.

Seriously, I was like you after this cool blue lights thing... then I realised I was wasting money and now drive with normal headlights.

Each to their own CCCP. Xizor likes them. I like the colour too, that's why i'm fitting sIII gtr lights to my car (not a straight fit on, needs many parts to be changed e.g. bonnet, grill etc.

Kinks, hid is definitely not a good idea. The plus 50 bulbs do run an overpowered filament, so they don't last as long as say a standard bulb. The plus 30s last a lot longer because they don't overpower the filament as much.

If you think about it though, the bulbs still last about a year ish. That's not bad. you're meant to change your bulbs once a year anyways (light output deminishes over time).

Each to their own CCCP. Xizor likes them. I like the colour too, that's why i'm fitting sIII gtr lights to my car (not a straight fit on, needs many parts to be changed e.g. bonnet, grill etc.

Kinks, hid is definitely not a good idea. The plus 50 bulbs do run an overpowered filament, so they don't last as long as say a standard bulb. The plus 30s last a lot longer because they don't overpower the filament as much.

If you think about it though, the bulbs still last about a year ish. That's not bad. you're meant to change your bulbs once a year anyways (light output deminishes over time).

Ive had a discussion with you before dude... so yeah the whole HID look to your car will cost you over 10 K? (if you were gonna cost everything you have done/will do)

Well, i've got the lights now. I'm just trying to get a gtr bonnet + hinges etc. I don't think i'll even need to change the front bar (it might be out of alignment slightly.

What i'll probably do, is just wait until i have an acco (touch wood), then it can be done for no cost :P

Edited by MANWHORE