SAU Community

Great Feeling Gearboxes

CONRAD

I've driven a good few jap performance cars and gearboxes vary greatly.

Which cars have impressed you with their feel and operation, and which others were shithouse.

I'm really asking about feel as opposed to the internal stregth and glass vs tough as nails gearboxes.

How does a 33 skyline box say pull up next to a RZ Supra 6 speed?

I've found that GTiR boxes are horrible, it seems like you can snap the stick off at any stage and it's really springy.

WRX's boxes were alright.. though I prefer the notchy throw of a skyline better.

S4 rx7's are crap too.. and everyone who I've let have a fang of my car mis shifts and speak poorly of it.

Lol the box in my 96 r33 is getting abit tired, and by tired im mean shit house.

Each gear change is accompanied by a nice "crunch" as the gear is selected..... *sigh* if only i could afford to get a new box or just the synchros replaced in mine.

cheers

For some reason I've found in general over cars of all age, FWD gearboxes tend to be smoother than a RWD counterpart. Why, I dont know (maybe because the gearsets are smaller and thus less syncro work) but the S2000/MX5/350Z are nice to use!

Feel of the MY04+ WRX box is nice imo, a bit clunky at times but probably more due to AWD+being new to it. I have also found FWD boxes smoother however one of the nicest feeling in terms of throw and takeup would have to be a mx-5.

Easily the S2000. Snap, snap, snap and away you go. Nice and short throw. The R32 GTR was pretty alright too but throw is not as nice as the S2000. MX5 was also pretty good (6 speed box).

My old 94 WRX was too notchy, didn't like it much. But the worst has to be the new VW Golf DSG sequential box. Takes about a second/second and a half to change gears once you hit the paddle.

Easily the S2000. Snap, snap, snap and away you go. Nice and short throw. The R32 GTR was pretty alright too but throw is not as nice as the S2000. MX5 was also pretty good (6 speed box).

vouching for MX5 6 speed, nice and short engagement, i prefer it over my r34's

I don't mind the 350Z box. Its a bit heavy, but its got a relatively good feel.

I also quite liked the manual in the new MX5 I test drove recently.

I don't like the DC5 Type-R's gearbox (no matter what the journos say). Actually, I'm hard pressed to think of a FWD gearbox I actually like. All the ones I've ever driven (Satria, Lancer, Mazda 323, Pulsar, Integra) have been pretty sloppy.

Edited by scathing

But the worst has to be the new VW Golf DSG sequential box. Takes about a second/second and a half to change gears once you hit the paddle.

Are you kidding? My bro has a Golf GTi and the DSG is the best gearbox I have EVER experienced, it shifted faster and most smoothly than anything I have ever felt, if it's taking a second to shift there's something seriously wrong with it...

I don't know how the Skyline gearbox is, but the Supra 6spd Getrag unit is really clunky, it's very solid and you can certainly feel it when driving, it's not a super refined box, but you get that from a racing box.

Are you kidding? My bro has a Golf GTi and the DSG is the best gearbox I have EVER experienced, it shifted faster and most smoothly than anything I have ever felt, if it's taking a second to shift there's something seriously wrong with it...

The model I test drive was the 5 speed semi-auto TDi. It was simply too slow. The TDi and the GTi probably have different boxes. I also test drove the Mazda 6 and the Honda Euro and their boxes are much quicker. Thus I ordered the Euro.