SAU Community

Getting Caught

milan_r34

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mate from uni got pulled over twice with a suspended license.

Just coped over $1000 fine and a court appearance, he was 20 and on his P's

Edited by krzysiu

I believe they legally have to give you more than a fine.

Unless you know the full circumstances of the other cases, they are pretty useless to use as a reference point

Ash I can tell you 100% that it is up to the magistrate discretion. They can extend your time from zero to whatever. But you will get a fine in the order of $500 - $800 again up to the magistrate discretion based on living and working circumstances.

Being prepared, being respectful, well dressed, and remorseful goes a long way in court. Take my advice on this. Lawyers aren't always the answer. Speaking honestly and directly to the magistrate got me quite far to the point that the prosecuter was amazed with the decision.

yea well i guess that is general knowledge..... i mean if i came over there looking like a bum or some sort of muzza (hooners :thumbsup:) he would have a slight different look on me.... where as if i go in a well presentable suit

at the end of the day it all depends on the judge.... only thing im scared of is if the judge cancells my license..... then i wont be able to drive my 32 untill i get my full license back...

still waititng for the court order to come in the mail.... how long does that thing take its been 3 weeks already lol

Ash I can tell you 100% that it is up to the magistrate discretion. They can extend your time from zero to whatever. But you will get a fine in the order of $500 - $800 again up to the magistrate discretion based on living and working circumstances.

Being prepared, being respectful, well dressed, and remorseful goes a long way in court. Take my advice on this. Lawyers aren't always the answer. Speaking honestly and directly to the magistrate got me quite far to the point that the prosecuter was amazed with the decision.

Coolio, wasnt sure if was that way or not as some charges you cant get off regardless.

I know for careless, they have to give you whatever is written down in the book as the min.

Being thats what i got dicked for years ago on one occasion. The fine is disgression, the punishment excluding the fine isnt :bunny:

i had my licence taken off me like over a year ago due to loosing too many points 5 point rule on p's, although the points that they took were from being on the back of a motorbike without a helmet lol stupid andyways was ment to loose my licence for 6 months sent in letter n everything n they gave it back to me after like a month, anyways i was beeing really good and wasnt driving but then one night all my mates were cruising and a mate was driving my car and i got edgy and hoped in, lol went past a cop doing an undisclosed speed, he pulled me over asked bout my licence n i said they took it wrongly blah blah told me i shouldnt be speeding and said wait for a court notice in the mail, and its been over a year and no letter,

another time got pulled over by petit going home driving my na r33 on p's (licenced) he went over my car checked everything then told me that i would get an epa notice in the mail cause my car was too loud which it was, that letter never came in the mail either, so hopefully you get lucky ey, happens sometimes

Coolio, wasnt sure if was that way or not as some charges you cant get off regardless.

I know for careless, they have to give you whatever is written down in the book as the min.

Being thats what i got dicked for years ago on one occasion. The fine is disgression, the punishment excluding the fine isnt :nyaanyaa:

Correct, statutory punishments. For example 40km over = 6mth loss of licence. You are either found guilty or not guilty. If guilty it's 6mths no matter what, their is no movement. But the fine imposed is based on circustances.

Where as with being caught driving without a licence is up to majistrates discretion. But generally they will increase your suspension.

hopefully he didnt file anything...

ahh i guess we will have to wait and see, we should have a poll, on how long i loose my license

- Only a fine

- A month

-3 Month

- 6 Months

- A Year

lol.... well look all in all we will see what happenes, like i said before tnx for the reply guys and ill keep you posted on what happenes

Edited by milan_r34

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, i was in the exact same situation as you are in, 2 years ago.

I got Caught Driving Whilst Suspended, wasn't speeding or nothing, just a random Breath test.

I got summons to court, bout 1 week later i think. It can take up to 6 weeks apparently.

I got 12 months disqualified + $800 fine.

This is in NSW Though, wouldn't know about anywhere else.

ooo ouch.. man thats some bad luck there..... well anywhays the cop that pulled me over extended me an invitation to court. It will be on the 31st July. And im getting my license back on the 12th of June. So there we go at least i get to drive a little bit hehe. Anywhoo ill keep you guys informed

Correct, statutory punishments. For example 40km over = 6mth loss of licence. You are either found guilty or not guilty. If guilty it's 6mths no matter what, their is no movement. But the fine imposed is based on circustances.

I wish I knew that before I went and saw the lawyer. cost $145 for 30 mins.

The lawyer basically said the same thing. No movement. The magistrates have no discretion.

No matter what happens you will find yourself in worse circumstances than if you were simply late to work. But not as bad as if you had run up the back of one of us lisenced folk while being disqualified.

My advice is book an appointment with the best lawyer you can find and get some advice, this will most likely cost you upwards of $200 for an hour. But it will be the best advice you can get. Given your past decisions advice is somethng you appear to have been lacking in te past.

Good luck.

this was a 3 week trial time... and i absolutely had to be there, honestly speaking i didnt want to loose the job i get $20 per hr, having a bad record with that company certanly screws up your chances..... but i got the job now so all is safe.

The copper sent me 19 pages... (mostly copies) Preety much my charges are "Drive Whilst Disqualified"

At the time of driving the road was dry, light trafic, weather fine and visability good.... bla bla bla

preety much what i typed in my post couple of weeks ago, the copper (for once they do this right) wrote everything word for word so its ok.

Well even if i was the judge i would extend my license no doubt about it, but the question is for how long....

if the judge gave me another 3 months i would be alrite with it..... man its such a bi*h getting up mon - fri at 5:30 just to make it to work at 8. Then coming home at about 7:30.....

I will go to legal aid first and see what he can give me..... well once i get my license i will visit them and see what are my options, or i should say what will be the worst scenario that i can get...

The thing im afraid of because of these new hoon laws it might be manditory if getting caught driving without a license doubles your suspension...

Ah well.... i got a preety good record though i never had once accident with my car ever...

alrite its getting late and i gota wake up to wach the champions league tomorow :closedeyes: so like i keep saying guys tnx for the inputs, and i will keep you posted

p.s whats happening with that poll :)

Edited by milan_r34