SAU Community

Project 24

I spoke to the engine builder who said that the ring radial depth was suspect when built however confirmed with the piston manufacture so build continued. He suspects this to be the cause.

Thats odd, what pistons are they?

I will be doing first start up of my fresh SR in a couple of weeks and am concerned about getting something wrong.

I am under the impression that idling the thing too long before getting into the run in to cause this sort of issue. Was this the case for you?

thanks for the confirmation..so then i just need to change to forged aftermarket connecting rods as the rod shoulder looks lower than stock rods..earlier i think that stock rod gonna fit at first and after dummy fit,it wont..btw, nice project u got there.. :)

Edited by ian_adzrin

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

So I think my patience has finally ran out and I've broken the back of the bank account for the final time.....

So I've decided to get EOI to part out everything I can salvage from the engine.

If you or you know anyone who could be interested in any of the following let me know - I'm thinking i'll cut my losses and stick a bog stock 26 in an move on....

The List:

Rb20DET Tomei 272 9.25mm In+Ex Cams $600

RB20DET Tomei Solid Lifters $600

RB20DET Tomei Valve Springs $350

RB20/26 HKS In+Ex Cam Gears $250
Spitfire Coil Packs $200

RB20 HyperTune Custom front facing plenum * Work of Art*
Hypertune 90mm Throttle Body to Suite above

Prefer to sell as a pair $2000

SARD 650CC Injectors $400

RB26 SARD Fuel Rail $200

RB25 Top Mount T3 Manifold

Kinugawa To4z/Gt35R * I think Combo* Turbo
TiAL 38mm WasteGate

Custom 4" > 3" Front Pipe to Suite above combo

Kit $1300

Rb26 Crank Good Condition $800

Ross Balancer - Need to check if this is for a rb26 or rb20 $300

Eagle Rb26 Rods *Little end will need bushes replaced as they were re-sized to suite pistons - Roughly $4 each from ACL* $450

Nitto High Flow Oil Pump $800

ARP Rb20/25 Head Studs (Brand New In Box) $200
ACL Rb26 big end bearings +0.001 (Brand New In Box) $55

All Prices are neg. however I'd like to get the most back out of this 6 year ordeal. I Can provide pictures for serious buyers if requested. Condition on all items is excellent and most have only seen less than 5 hours of engine work.

Cheers.

What's hard about it? What specifically do you want done?

I cannot see a great difficulty in assembling one engine.. I would be prepared to do it.

Unless you want stuff CC'd and full micrometer blueprint job. I don't see the need if you were happy to sell all at loss and whack in a stock motor. You may as well assemble and use the thing.

yea i want to know the CR and measured and get recommendations on why the piston skirts have worn so much in such a short period and then recommend a piston.

the last two builds didnt last more than a few hours on the syno and these people knew what they were doing....

if i can get away with it id love to complete it and use ca18 pistons but i dont know if they will do the job.

The skirts would be worn due to bad piston to bore clearance, nothing else. It can't be anything else. It's probably a similar reason why there has been blow by issues (bad machine work).

When I built my motor and took it to be tuned I was given praise about how good it was. When I gloated that I built it myself I was given a rude wake-up call that the machine work was where the fine art is, and not so much the assembly.

That said, it sounds like you had machine work issues on both your failed builds and you should source your own machine work. Then you can sit down and assemble the thing slowly and gap your rings per how you would like them to be.