SAU Community

V35 Insurance!?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidently I tried to add my 19 year son as a listed driver with NRMA and the premium was $9800 per year.

Ha ha, so basically they think your son is guaranteed to write it off at least once every few years. What a shot of confidence.

As an Insurance Broker I have access to a whole range of Insurance Companies that arnt aloud to deal with the public.

As such using a broker can sometimes be cheaper.

Hi Dnf

Can you also quote on R34 Gtt with a few mods garaged in sydney?

Cant Pm yet as i havnt made enough posts :D

Matt

• 5 weeks later...
2005 350GT, mature age driver and my daughter is not allowed to drive it!

NRMA - $980 with windscreen option

65% No Claim Discount, multi-policy discount

WTF? I rang those guys as we have both cars (yet to receive my V35 sedan) and the house with them and they wanted $1490 agreed value of $25k! I am 34 and have a perfect driving and insurance record.

WTF? I rang those guys as we have both cars (yet to receive my V35 sedan) and the house with them and they wanted $1490 agreed value of $25k! I am 34 and have a perfect driving and insurance record.

Do you live in NSW? I called around as I am looking at getting a V35 and the prices are more with the same company's than shown on this forum. I live in the outskirts of Sydney where the crime is quite low.

People should mention where the cars are being insured so the quotes are representative and comparable as it varies dramatically. Adelaide is supposedly the cheapest.

Edited by Pete77

I jumped on Just Car did a quote for 03 V35 24yr old living in Robina (Goldcoast) QLD

Insured for $31500 - exhaust the only added extra (just got wheels and have not included them yet)

Just Car

Standard excess is $400 (NRMA is $600 so i selected the $600 option in just car) bringing yearly price to $1080

Vehicle excess is $800 for cars that cost more to fix / often crashed

And age excess $350

Just car wont insure a unreg car so had to ring NRMA as they do and will give you a cover note so u can drive it interstate and get it reg.

NRMA price matched Just Car and they bet them by 10%

So $979.20 yearly, $600 excess plus age excess BUT they don't have the $800 vehicle excess so way way cheaper.

PLUS they will accept a agreed value (just car wont-or is very in-flexible).

Very Happy :(

Edit: Perfect rating 1 for life, no faults, claims, jail time etc

Edited by R6n350GT

Well I might play that game then, call NRMA and ask if they will price match Just Cars. Done an online quote for me and the missus on Just Car was $935. Thing I have to remember and allow for is Just Car don't have windscreen cover etc. So it may be bit over that with NRMA. It would be simpler for me since I have the house and other car (both current cars, one is going) with NRMA. I also opt for the hire car option when in reality we probably don't need it for the 2 car family.....

I did an online quote with NRMA (surprised to find imports on there actually) and it was $1395 full comp with windscreen cover. Weird thing is I have always had windscreen cover on all my cars, except my first car which I had to get a windscreen for (cheap it was a '77 mazda 323) I have never had to get a windscreen. I just know if I take it off Iwill need it the next day. I tried Shannons and they want $1356 full comp but they cover windscreen, hire car etc.

Tried NRMA's "beat by 10%" and failed. They said they would only insure a 2003 skyline (sedan) to a maximum of $22k, whereas the just car online quote said $28k. For NRMA to do the 10% offer, the quote has to be identical, ie I have to get a quote from someone else for $22k. I tried lowering the Just car quote online, but it kept it at $28k no matter what I put the purchase price at. I would have to call and explain I don't want to insure it for $28k, but $22k. Not keen to do that as when they drop the agreed value every year it is already $6k behind the 8-ball. Tried Famous and Dawes, with no go. Famous no because the wife is under 30 and Dawes because they want to ram my arse.

So I guess my choices are

Just car insured for $28k for just under $1k a yr. I have a mate with them and he doesn't rate them well and he told me they aren't to keen to shell out if the time comes.

NRMA for $22k for under $1k a yr

or Shannons for $1300 insured for $27k with all the good options such as windscreen replacement etc.

Rather annoyed as I have a perfect driving and insurance record and that includes when I owned my fairly modified 180sx for 6 yrs which I got down to quite cheap (last I paid was just over $1k with engine/driveline conversion, big stereo etc).

Edited by omp

Update for today (sorry for new post)

Shannons pissed me off today, rang them to see if they could come close to matching Just Cars. They said no (fair enough) she then proceeded to demand answers from me. She asked how much I was getting the car for (less than what I would like to insure it for). She said that is all we would insure it for. I had a quote from them the other week showing for $25k it would cost $1356. She then dropped it down to $19k and told me that it would now be $1100. I have NEVER been asked what I paid for the vehicle, I have been asked "if you want to insure it for AGREED value it will cost you more, that is what you are paying for and why you pay a bit more". She was a right rude bitch too in the way she spoke to me, talking over me as if I was a child. Sent an email complaint and had a reply of "send us your quote number and we will look into it".

NRMA will insure a V35 coupe for MORE than a sedan. I could insure a coupe for $10k more than I could a sedan for $10/yr cheaper. Asking why here is the response

Thank you for your email.

Every year NRMA Insurance analyses the number and cost of claims to ensure that the amount of premium paid by policy holders will cover the cost of claims received over a year.

When determining premiums, we look at a range of factors which affect the number of claims and claims costs. These factors can include: the year, make and model of the vehicle, the cost of repairing certain types of vehicles, the availability of parts and the cost of supplying those parts.

Each vehicle is rated individually through NRMA Insurance. Just because a vehicle is a coupe it does not necessarily reflect a higher risk than a sedan.

Thank you for contacting NRMA Insurance. If you have any further enquiries, please feel free to contact us on 132 132. We are available from 7 am to 9 pm 7 days a week.

Yours sincerely,

I think this is a bullshit response, the difference could NOT be that much.

I may have to stick with Just Car and risk the windscreen option (have that cash always ready to go) as they will insure it for $28750 for $935/yr........

Well in Just Cars case that is their automatic cover price (they don't do agreed value). And in my case I just want to be able to cover myself properly (I have that right don't I?), in the case where something does happen (I hope not) I would be able to replace it with an equivalent vehicle. I had a look around the dealerships in Brisbane and found (also test drove it) another V35 sedan manual, it was $24k, so NRMA's maximum of $22k wouldn't cover it. Whereas the coupe can be insured for up to $41k through NRMA. What I paid for the car I would be EXTREMELY hard pressed to import one myself. I would be happy for it be insured for $25k but looking at other people's premiums (and they are much younger I might add) it seems a tad odd that I would pay more.

• 2 months later...

Just doing the ring around today myself

Just cars came out on top, I am however currently with NRMA and was rather pissed off when the insurance renewal came in the mail last week and was $80 more than last year with them wanting to insure the car for $3000 less in value. Hows that work

Just cars wanted $1149 for their online price that includes the one calim I made in 2009 when some asshole keyed my car all up the side. Also covers things like my wheels oil cooler and diff

I do want windscreen cover however mainly because from what iv read on here replacement V35 windscreens are somewhat exy

Anyhow im going to print off a copy of the just cars quote and fax it to them and they will beat it by 10% aparantly

That's what I ended up doing, they also insured it for more than I asked for and still beat Just Cars by 10%. I then just added windscreen cover.

edit Oh yea, paying more each year for it to be insured for less is usually how it goes....

Edited by omp

I just bought a gt-8 and insured with Suncorp ..

market value

business use , private use is approx $120 less

rating 1

no garage / park on driveway

Brisbane inner city suburb

cost just under $800 but with $1100 excess

they told me that this type of cars attract fast driver and being grey import hard to get parts ....and there are many claims by skyline drivers

my boxter cost less than $1k and the X5 4.6is about $1k and both only has $400 excess