SAU Community

4wd Relay Clicking At Idle

wolverine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
the update is.... it looks to be the accumulator... lol

so will be replaced after auto salon..

The accumulator... interesting! So is that not part of the actuator motor that you just had replaced? Are you guessing that because it's the last thing left? :D

Very interesting... since a few of us have error code 77 (pressure sensor), that would add up. Please keep us posted :)

the accumulator? where and what is an accumulator (other than a device that accumulates).

not sure exactly but it works very closely with the pressure switch.. they have to drop the sub frame to get to it.. fun..

is booked in for the last week of july they are going to replace it with a good secondhand one to see if that finally fixes my problem... if it does i get a brand new one... THANKS DVG.... pfft

gee, that does sound like fun... sounds like they're gonna fix it one way or another though...

they have a pressure switch to tell the pump when to start pumping pressure again, because there is always a certain amount of pressure kept in an accumulator. the switch maybe faulty

/\ reference by someone else to the accumulator... best description of it I have. I don't have access to FAST at the moment but I remember the picture of the ATTESA assembly showing the pressure switch as an apparently integral part of the accumulator (kinda a storage reservoir like on the inlet manifold but stores positive pressure I guess, so that the pump doesn't have to work full-time) which in turn seemed to be an integral part of the pump assembly itself... will try to get hold of FAST and that diagram. But yeah, looked hard to replace... probably would have to drop the diff at least (bolted to the top of the diff' I think Duncan said).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Updates and info would be much appreciated!

I'm having the same issue with my R33 GTR Vspec (only picked it up about 10 days ago from compliance); ticking noise in rear of boot approx every 20-30 seconds or so. No "4WD" warning light on dashboard, the front wheels seem to kick in when they're meant to.

From what I've read on SAU, gtroc and a few other places, there are some usual suspects to look at:

• HICAS relay
  • ATTESA relay – hydraulic system for 4WD
    • Bleed attesa fluid
    • Check pressure switch
    • E-TS/LSD actuator motor
    • Pressure accumulator

I think the attesa on vspec gtrs is a bit different to the ones on stageas (due to the LSD?), but even so any more info can help narrow down this little annoyance!

Tim

Updates and info would be much appreciated!

I'm having the same issue with my R33 GTR Vspec (only picked it up about 10 days ago from compliance); ticking noise in rear of boot approx every 20-30 seconds or so. No "4WD" warning light on dashboard, the front wheels seem to kick in when they're meant to.

From what I've read on SAU, gtroc and a few other places, there are some usual suspects to look at:

• HICAS relay
  • ATTESA relay – hydraulic system for 4WD
    • Bleed attesa fluid
    • Check pressure switch
    • E-TS/LSD actuator motor
    • Pressure accumulator

I think the attesa on vspec gtrs is a bit different to the ones on stageas (due to the LSD?), but even so any more info can help narrow down this little annoyance!

Tim

Hey Tim have you tried an ATTESA diagnostic? The pins to short are around somewhere on this forum... when I ran it it was consistently reporting fault code 77, which is pressure switch. I'm guessing that's the problem in 90% of these cases... if it was the relay, ATTESA wouldn't work at all.

• 1 month later...
any updates?

my relay is ticking too, but mine has slightly different symptom- power flickers when it clicks ie headlights, dash lights, radio all loose power for a split second

I see exactly the same thing; I think the power drops are just because it draws so much current (the attesa pump that it's switching on/off seems to cause a voltage drop as it's turned on). Lights flash dim for a very brief second; have to be watching to notice.

I see exactly the same thing; I think the power drops are just because it draws so much current (the attesa pump that it's switching on/off seems to cause a voltage drop as it's turned on). Lights flash dim for a very brief second; have to be watching to notice.

Same with mine, it drives me crazy!

Around the same time my relay started to click my 4WD light started to come on frequently. I took it to RE Customs and they bleed the Attesa system, put new fluid in and tried another relay from another Stagea which didn't have a clicking relay and that relay clicked aswell.

Bleeding the Attessa system seemed to resolve the 4WD light problem for a short while but eventually came back. After doing a scan on the car a TPS error code was pulled from the ECU, after repositioning the TPS the 4WD problem has ceased but the relay still clicks every now and then.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

omg i am so so sorry not long after i got it all fixed i lost my licence... so in order not to be tempted i havent even looked at the forums

she is alll fixed they replaced the accumulator and she clicks every now and again but not every 2 damn secs.......

was a costly repair as they had to dismantle the sub frame just to get to it all and a ruff price on the part was about 1600.00 staff price for me from nissan in ossy park.... so trade prie would have been more IM SO GLAD IT GOT DONE UNDER WARRANTY!!!!!!!! THANKS DVG.............