SAU Community

Show Me Your Racing Machines

screamin'

Eug: Thanks mate. What did it end up setting you back if you don't mind me asking? And which kit did you go for?

I got the Ikeya Formula kit cost me shy of $400 i think not inclusive of postage.

Cheaper to make some up with some nice rulers and fishing line, but this was a simple package and easily setup without having to fabricate any special bits.

phunky - this one is a replica, didn't want to risk a real one due to the production numbers. should be pretty true and correct as mazda motorsport are providing assistance with the build.

Probably a wise move :wave:

Plus just trying to find one is a real pain. I was searching around maybe 18 months ago, but to no avail... squeezing into one was my next issue!

Keep us updated mate, I'd be very interested to see it. It's the one car I'd consider selling up for and buying.

Cheers

Dane

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Dane

I found a real one that was for sale, but too nice to cut up... plus I thought I'd try harder in an insignificant replica!

Some recent pics... including a Raynard diffuser!

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

body.jpg

$55k for the one I found which I though was good buying as it was such a well presented car. Interestingly, at the time I noticed M3R's were moving at about that price too as I was considering building one of those instead, but with a 3.4.

Alan Horsley reckons less than 15 real SP's are still about and most of the cars he hes for vertification pre-sale are usually just well done knock offs.

I reckon a real SP, like ADM R32 GT-R would be a genuine investment.

Primarily this car will be used for state series circuit racing in Tasmania (Targa class). I'm keeping it twin turbo so it could be used for tarmac rally, but not that fussed as wouldn't be very competitive.

I intend sending it to Sydney to do some events for fun too and try out tracks I've not been to.

Awesome stuff mate, need to see some more RX's running about out there.

I agree with you on the SP investment front. I met up with a guy from Ausrotary, who showed me through his, basically to see if I could fit into it (I'm 6'4). Also had a chance to pour over Glen Ridges car, and I also was speaking with another guy in NSW who had an SP who put it up for sale, well over what you've mentioned. 55k is very reasonable I think.

But, as you've said, I think if you were to actually use the car as intended you'd be better off buying a normal FD and modifying it.

Thought you might be interested in this: http://www.mazdatuned.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=284949

Yeah I'd heard of them changing hands for 75k previously.

John and Jason White considered building a S6 RX7 for Targa years ago instead of the $300,000ZX had used to have prior to the Evo, but neither of them could really get in it due to height... Jason did the cage in mine.

Serious rebuild in that link.

I may as well contribute to this thread too :D

Datsun Stanza (ex Go-Gas Rally car from the 70's)

Specs:

L20 Bored to 2.1L

Forged Pistons

DatRally Head

DatRally Cam

Twin 48mm Webbers

DatRally 5 Speed Gearbox

DatRally LSD 4.1:1

Adjustable Coil Over Suspension (front)

Full Roll Cage

Racing Seats

Volvo Brakes + Brake Bias Adjuster

Heaps more but you get the idea...

love the old Stanza rally car! Just don't do what i did... (QRC round in 2004)

stanza2.jpg

jeeez some real nice race cars and builds here!!

mine is nothing special! it is only still in the first few stages of its build, and im still driving it through the transformation to a IPRA car! will be in IPRA by 2009 and will stay doing NSW CAMS SS (for practice and to learn perfect set-ups for each track in NSW) and will go on to IPRA in 2010 and hope to do some Targa events in it to! Got a good Sponsor atm and some real good ones for when i start up in IPRA!!!

180508JPM_720.jpg

DPP_0033.jpg

Full Cage will be fitted in the next month or so! will be fun taking the dash out with all that wiring :happy: hahaha

Edited by Dave R

It is a Cobra Evolution... awesome seat! looks great!

i better head of to sleep got round 4 of NSW SS @ oran park :D if you wona see more of the car come down and say hi! :)

Edit: i c you are in vic! well offer still stands :huh: hehehe

Edited by Dave R

As Ive said before Dave, Im a big fan of your car!!

One of the cleanest R's around and it has the times to back itself up - good stuff mate :D

And good stuff on getting a sponsor dude, your killing it! :huh:

It is a Cobra Evolution... awesome seat!

Excellent seat, imo, the best available.... still comfortable after 6 days in it @ Targa :down:

As for your Type R, I love them, the DC2 in particular. Good work :down:

While we're on DC2's

A good mate of mine and I did Rallye Burnie in this little bad boy last year... I think he is keen for a bit of circuit racing next.

It was an expensive Type R build with Chomoly cage, Motec, Proflex, dry brake refuel and much more...

I'd not spent much time in a Honda since my old CRX many years ago and I'd forgotten how well they go around corners... I'd also forgotten how slow they go in comparsion to turbo cars!

n640892983_448323_7144.jpg