SAU Community

Gas Struts

Duncan

I called the regas people for my Camry and they just gave me generic ones for $80 a pair. Need them for my Stagea now so I'll see if they have cheap replacements or regas mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my new struts today. The old ones don't unclip so wound out the ball mounts. 4 new ball mounts supplied and two generic struts total NZ$80.00

Really, mine cost $28 for both to re-gas by SafeR Brakes. The struts holding up the compartment where the spare wheel goes in.

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted these today...fit fine, came with new ball joints as well, no problems.

Can't got wrong for $42 delivered....

I have used these as well.

Maybe the maxima bonnet geometry is slightly different, as these ones seem to pop out of the ball joint fairly easily. I havent had any issues with them, but be careful not to knock them if working on the engine.

Next is to find a replacement for the stagea tailgate struts. Might have to get creative making my own mounting plate unless there is something available at a good price.

Edited by zoomzoom

I have used these as well.

Maybe the maxima bonnet geometry is slightly different, as these ones seem to pop out of the ball joint fairly easily. I havent had any issues with them, but be careful not to knock them if working on the engine.

Next is to find a replacement for the stagea tailgate struts. Might have to get creative making my own mounting plate unless there is something available at a good price.

did it actually pop out, or you are just not happy with the fit? mine have been fine.

for rears - Nissan (even jp) have nil stock, and I am not aware if another car's that fits, I had my originals re-gassed

Like I said they haven't popped out on their own accord however I can imagine being unlucky with a misplaced elbow while working nearby and getting a nasty bump on the head from the bonnet dropping a bit.

I've already done some repairs on the rear struts, namely a collapsed bushing between the mounting plate and the strut. I drilled out the riveted piece and used some washers, new bushing and a nut and bolt. Shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a new plate and use another generic gas strut with some modification. The lower mount should be the same kind of screw in ball that comes with the generic maxima struts for the front, but check the threads first.

Might even do that in a few weeks, however my car currently has no suspension attached so I'm a little preoccupied. Will post up if I fix them.

post-46287-0-22660700-1344166741_thumb.jpg