SAU Community

Nistune

Crans

Hi Folks

Ive done a bit of a search but couldnt find an answer so if there is one out there and ive missed it, plz dont shoot

my question is, I have an r32 gtr - I would like to have dual exhausts from the turbo back, however I'm not sure how this will affect the o2 sensor setup...

There's a reason they merge the pipes, if you really want to have twin exhausts do it like they do on V8s and use a cross over pipe, this way you use the exhaust system more effectively increasing flow and also avoiding this problem.

There's a reason they merge the pipes, if you really want to have twin exhausts do it like they do on V8s and use a cross over pipe, this way you use the exhaust system more effectively increasing flow and also avoiding this problem.

cool thanks for the advice, i think thats the easiest thing to do rather than messing around with the o2 sensors

-D

Hi Folks

Ive done a bit of a search but couldnt find an answer so if there is one out there and ive missed it, plz dont shoot

my question is, I have an r32 gtr - I would like to have dual exhausts from the turbo back, however I'm not sure how this will affect the o2 sensor setup...

From what I understand there are 2 o2 sensors for the 'before cat' and 'after cat' positions, my concern is if one could put a dual setup on a gtr and use either a single pipe as an enrichment template, OR if i could add another 2 o2 sensors and then aggregate and halve the values produced to nistune

Im not a mechanic and I really dont know how this all works, however I just want to know if its possible to run dual pipes, and how I may go about it

Thanks

-D

Its simple, gtr's have 2 o2 sensors, one for each turbo

From what I understand there are 2 o2 sensors for the 'before cat' and 'after cat' positions, my concern is if one could put a dual setup on a gtr and use either a single pipe as an enrichment template, OR if i could add another 2 o2 sensors and then aggregate and halve the values produced to nistune

No one actually picked up on this... There is only pre-cat O2 sensors on a GTR, the post cat sensor is an EGT for sensing when the cat is too hot only.

Running twin pipes full length will be no problem at all, just disconnect the post cat egt (plugged in under passenger seat then through floor).

I for one would be curious how a full twin system would sound :D

No one actually picked up on this... There is only pre-cat O2 sensors on a GTR, the post cat sensor is an EGT for sensing when the cat is too hot only.

Running twin pipes full length will be no problem at all, just disconnect the post cat egt (plugged in under passenger seat then through floor).

correctamondo there is two o2 sensors on a gtr in each dump pipe and a egt sensor near the cat pretty much does Jack all tho so don't worry about it. But have good o2 or new ones to get good closed loop in nistune

beat me to it. yeah the 02 sensors are in the dump pipe, so you could run a twin system with twin cat's if you wanted. might struggle for space though. you'd probably only want to run a twin 2.5" system or maybe 2.75" system, because unless you are running some big power that is all you'll need (a twin 2.5" system will have a bigger volume than a single 3" system).

beat me to it. yeah the 02 sensors are in the dump pipe, so you could run a twin system with twin cat's if you wanted. might struggle for space though. you'd probably only want to run a twin 2.5" system or maybe 2.75" system, because unless you are running some big power that is all you'll need (a twin 2.5" system will have a bigger volume than a single 3" system).

two 2.5 catco cats would work nice on a twin system but unless you are wanting to push a 1000+ hp a good 3 inch or 3 1/4 will do the job.

Plus you can buy them off the shelf and runing a custom twin system would be a right pain.

Hi guys,

Ive read through this post but i havent really come accross with an answer so i thought ill just ask!

I know that to run nistune in a r33 you'll either need a r32 ecu or a 300 ecu but does anyone know if nistune are planning to make a board thats compatible with the standard r33 ecu considering most the other models can run nistune standard?

Will sound the same unless you move the pipes to different sides of the car or you are standing directly behind it.

Personally I would still use a cross over pipe, reasoning being is only 1 cylinder is firing at once, if you have twin separate pipes then the single pulse is only going out one pipe, if you have a cross over pipe then its going out both pipes.

Obviously with a turbo and the compression of the exhaust gases the pulses basically merge into a constant flow, but there are still some gains to be had by using a cross over pipe.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have got a R33 GTS4 with an rb25det. Took the car down to a tuner today only to call me back up saying he cannot place the Z32 nistuned ecu in it due to it being AWD. How can I get past this as I really don't want to give up my midrange power by losing my VCT?

how does the engine computer affect the AWD in the transmission on these? With Z32 ECUs you still have VCT but with R32 ECUs you need an external VCT controller (based from RPM signal)

anyone know if nistune are planning to make a board thats compatible with the standard r33 ecu

I was planning at one stage but the extra work with complete new board design, prototyping etc, new firmware and very difficult installation made it a difficult one to approach

Coupled with Z32/R32 ECUs now provided as viable alternatives means the effort to make boards for these is no longer viable (especially with my current work load)

im running ford lightning maf blow through and the 25 loves it. Nistune is te best thing I have purchased for the 25 besides the upgraded turbo...heheheh and stec manifold.

Nistune boards arrived today (thanks Matt :))

My wagon is getting tuned on Friday :/ but first I have to reconnect the 50 odd wires that were cut when the Haltech was installed :D

Hey guys,

I have got a R33 GTS4 with an rb25det. Took the car down to a tuner today only to call me back up saying he cannot place the Z32 nistuned ecu in it due to it being AWD. How can I get past this as I really don't want to give up my midrange power by losing my VCT?

They finally worked it out and have put in a z32 ecu after downloading a new image. Just got it done yesterday and have noticed my slip light randomly stays on until I turn the car off. I haven't tested it if its running RWD as do not want to do any harm.

This seems to be a common problem with some GTRs however I know this is caused by nistune or the tuner themselves. Anyone got any clues?

Apart from this light coming on every now and then my car is running better than I ever expected, love Nistune :P.

They finally worked it out and have put in a z32 ecu after downloading a new image. Just got it done yesterday and have noticed my slip light randomly stays on until I turn the car off. I haven't tested it if its running RWD as do not want to do any harm.

This seems to be a common problem with some GTRs however I know this is caused by nistune or the tuner themselves. Anyone got any clues?

Apart from this light coming on every now and then my car is running better than I ever expected, love Nistune :P .

i had mine dynoed with a z32 then with the r32 and lost no midrange at all?

Hi guys,

Ive read through this post but i havent really come accross with an answer so i thought ill just ask!

I know that to run nistune in a r33 you'll either need a r32 ecu or a 300 ecu but does anyone know if nistune are planning to make a board thats compatible with the standard r33 ecu considering most the other models can run nistune standard?

To the best of my knwledge:

No!

The Z32 ECU is supposed to run alright so Nistune (Matt) won't be doing this board ..

R32 ECU = No Variable Cam Timing!

Z32 ECU = Variable Cam Timing Works

Edited by Torques