SAU Community

Gtr Front Lsd. Who Has Used One?

Beer Baron

excelent. cos i find on sweeping corners it just frys the rears and the inner front. chopping out tyres real fast. so really if it reduces wheelspin on the track it would pay for itsself in using less tyres :mellow:

yes, correct it does help even up tyre wear

when we are launching from a start line, our car use to most times only spin one front wheel, now its all four in a blaze of glory!! :(

russ

Edited by giant

Is there any real advantage to a carbon LSD like ATS make that justifies the difference in price?

well I think the big advantage is you get to tell people you have a carbon diff. but unless they are going to remove your engine and sump and check you can do that anyway and no one will know the difference.

to be honest I don't think it's really necessary. In theory the carbon disks should have some better properties and perhaps they last longer but in reality I don't know how much better (if at all) they are. I've used a carbon clutch and it was great but i'm not tossing my convential clutch in the bin to get one. Cusco diffs are cheap at around $1000 mark and perform very well.

well I think the big advantage is you get to tell people you have a carbon diff. but unless they are going to remove your engine and sump and check you can do that anyway and no one will know the difference.

to be honest I don't think it's really necessary. In theory the carbon disks should have some better properties and perhaps they last longer but in reality I don't know how much better (if at all) they are. I've used a carbon clutch and it was great but i'm not tossing my convential clutch in the bin to get one. Cusco diffs are cheap at around $1000 mark and perform very well.

I thought as much. I had heard carbon clutches need a lot of heat to work well so weren't suited to drag racing. I thought there may be some benefit in that for circuit work but wasn't really sure as I haven't actually heard of anyone using one. Maybe useful for chasing 0.001 seconds a lap when everything else is exhausted but unjustified for everyone else.

I can't really comment on the carbon lsd because I've not used a normal plate front lsd. I've used Kaaz and ATS. The Kaaz rear lsd in the honda is noisy but it's been overtighten. The front ats in the gtr is perfectly quiet after the break in process.

Does your make any noise on reverse Russ and what diff are you using in the rear?

• 2 weeks later...

Good thread guys - great info.

I busted my front spider gears at the recent Dutton VIC on a launch and turn incident on the long wang @ DECA, so i've got a Nismo 1.5 way front LSD going in this week. The Nismo was slightly better priced than the others and came with gaskets / bearings too where the others didn't seem to.

The Z-tune has the 1.5 way, so I thought it would be ok. I guess i'll be able to give a progress report soon, but.....

I'm told that the ATS 1.5 way front diff was apparently a case of rip the steering wheel from your hand when mounting ripple strips etc, so what we actually intend to do is soften off the 1.5 way Nismo, so that it reacts more like a 1 way. Anyway my thinking was more aimed at replacing the sucker as to increase the strenght over a stock unit, because missing out on 9 events while driving back to melbourne and back again wasn't all that fun.

I'll report back what I think of it on the track when the car comes back.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm keen to see how you went with your front LSD Beer Baron. What brand did you end up with and how you found it performance wise.

Cheers Coop