SAU Community

New Twin Plate Clutch, Very Bad In Rush Hour Traffic

nsta

with my OS tripple I never stall it, can do hill starts no problem. even with a small 'take up zone' all you need is a small amount of clutch control to drive it easily. so practice up.

i call bulshit!! recall someone stalling when someone took me for a spin... lol

I think you guys need some serious driving practice. I haven't driven a clutch yet I couldn't get the hang of within half an hour.

I'll second that, I never have problems with any clutch after a few starts . You guys think the Nismo twin is bad in traffic........I would have to say its one of the best twins to drive .

The next best is a stocker full face plate but it won't hold much..

I had an unsprung HKS twin plate. The tuner stalled it, the shop owner stalled it and then I did. But I soon got used to it, first day I got stuck in a traffic jam on the freeway...every set of lights was a mini launch. You just have to be more switched on and purposeful in your driving. Sprung center doesn't require much concentration at all

I was helping out at the last SAU dyno day driving cars on and off the dyno. Even Daves tripple plate didn't get me although I was warned about it. What's this thread about again? I forget. Yeah, umm, you'll get used to it.

I think you guys need some serious driving practice. I haven't driven a clutch yet I couldn't get the hang of within half an hour.

I my own cars I've had standard, nismo single, heaving duty exedy single, OS twin (solid centre) OS tripple (solid centre) and quickly adapted to all of them. I've also driven tilton twin, carbon single, and various twins, singles and tripples.

with my OS tripple I never stall it, can do hill starts no problem. even with a small 'take up zone' all you need is a small amount of clutch control to drive it easily. so practice up.

i agree with you, but the single plate i had in my rb20 was with no exageration 100 times harder to drive than my os twins and the os twins were harder to drive than the os triple.

actually the os triple is real easy to drive for a big hp clutch

definately hard core singles are much less friendly that hard core twins and tripples. basically to get a given single to hold the same power as a given twin you need a much higher clamp force in the single (as you are working with half the surface area) so hard core singles are generally the worst.

definately hard core singles are much less friendly that hard core twins and tripples. basically to get a given single to hold the same power as a given twin you need a much higher clamp force in the single (as you are working with half the surface area) so hard core singles are generally the worst.

Fits my experience.

I still fight with the JB Full Monty in my GTR.

Jumping from car to car to 4wd etc and then get into the GTR occasionally - bastard red faces me every time. You try to be quiet/gentle taking off in traffic and it is easy to stall. If rolling ever so slightly its fine and you do get used to it again fairly quickly. I have noticed it is not a clutch to ride as it glazes quickly and needs a bit of harder action to clean it up. Can launch like a rocket though.

Just need bigger sunglasses and darker tint on the windows. lol

well some people have it and reckon it's easy to drive. they reckon mine isn't installed correctly...

it's actually really light, but has a hair trigger - on or off.

it's only done about 1,000kms, so might get better with some time.

it can be slipped, but I don't get 'used' to it as it get driven about once or twice a month :(

you might like it...

If I drive my GTR often, the ORC twin plate is great. It's only when I'm not thinking that it bites me.

The most annoying part about it that's dificuilt is that the friction point is more than half way out on the clutch pedal.... so you have to keep releasing your foot to almost the end of the pedal travel. That makes it hard to find and hit's as a surprise sometimes.

If it was closer to the firewall, it would be so so so much easier.

However, I've fallen in love with the clutch and wouldn't go for anything else now.

The most annoying part about it that's dificuilt is that the friction point is more than half way out on the clutch pedal.... so you have to keep releasing your foot to almost the end of the pedal travel. That makes it hard to find and hit's as a surprise sometimes.

If it was closer to the firewall, it would be so so so much easier.

yeah i found this was the biggest issue, you slowly bring it up... and up... and up... then POW!

update guys: im getting much better driving these twins now, only hill starts are a bitch, i just take my time hahaha. I wouldnt go for anything else in saying all this, as when it catches, it catched hard, and i love it, im so used to stalling the car, its become 2nd nature on the street, but yeh im down to about maybe once every 3 days?....getting there slowly:)