SAU Community

Blown Turbo On Ex Hpi R32 4door Rb24 Motor

white32

Similar thing happened to a mate, put one on his rb25 in his 33, and wouldnt hold an even boost level quiet oftern running upto 30psi. He contacted them and they said to grind out the divider no longer making it a split pulse turbo.

About 3 months later and only about 30 hours of use it packed up shop and did something similar to that., was only running 1bar which is nothing special.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not fair to go judging this failure on your decision to purchase one of these turbo's.

They dont all fail like this, there could be many other reasons why this has happened and im thinking the war zone that the bee-r causes would not have helped in this case.

I will still reccomend these turbo's to my mates as they are a good thing.

If 50% of them started to fail then I would start to worry about buying them. For this one failure ONCE i dont think its right to go rubbishing the product when all you hear is good storys about how well these things work.

Go easy on the these turbo's... They are pretty impressive for what they are

Its obvious this isn't a 'common' occurance. If it were it would be plastered over ns.com and here on sau. :ermm:

It would be good to hear a response as to what they feel was the contributing factor. If it was indeed workmanship (i.e sh*t happens) you may very well find you'll receive a new turbo for nothing. :dry:

yeah there isn't anything wrong with kkr turbos, mines the kkr480 its been on my car now for 4 months or there abouts and ive done 10,000kms on it at 19psi daily and its running fine. i also know alot of other r33s with the kkr430 turbo and they have had no problem at all.. so i wouldnt judge a brand on 1 turbo failure lol... my split pulse part has been die grinded out and it still wont run anything under 17psi..just a bad wastegate design.. ohwell..motor loves it..

Any number of factors could have caused this and I doubt we'll ever know which one or what combination of events caused it to fail.

Without damning all KKR turbos, it's too hard to speculate so you probably shouldn't.

:ermm:

My .02c

I think the backing plate failed as the compressor has just disintergrated at 15k rpm

Try more like 80-120,000rpm. Turbos are hardly an item you can just tool up your machinery for and start pumping them out. Garretts taken 30 odd years of R&D to get to where they are today. I expect it will take KKR et al "chinese turbos" at least another 10-15 years to get anywhere near similar sorts of quality and durability.

A little off topic but how pathetic is it to name yourself KKR and obveously try to ride off KKKs (Kühnle, Kopp & Kausch, now part of siemens) reputation. I for one will never buy a KKR product based on that fact alone.

Edited by irokin

I vote for it being best failure I've seen in a while!

Told you you'd get some good advice here Joey :)

I thought maybe a 25/35 would give good spool up....

What do I know, I run a stocker....off another donk of course:D

Hooks

• 1 month later...

this has to be winner for failure of the year! IMO i doubt tuning or a rev limiter could have caused such a massive failure. i agree with some of the earlier quotes. maybe it was dropped at some point. maybe it was a dud casting or the metal had some imperfections (which should have been picked up by quality control). HPI have there own forum now, maybe u could post on there and see what they say??? have u tried getting in touch with the authorised dealer?? (otomoto i think??)

ive never even seen one of these KKR turbos so i know nothing of their quality. but, all the ppl with good things to say about them keep saying "for what they are". by saying that it doesnt inspire confidence in the product. IMO this makes me think that they know the turbos r of a lower quality, but r willing to sacrifice quality for a cheaper price. i guess its like the old saying goes "u get what u pay for.."

All these people are saying it was the limiter.....have you noticed it was the compressor cover and not the turbine???

My best mate ran the gauntlet trying to get ready for a dyno comp the next day and there was little tuning carried out when we packed it in at 4.00am.

There was no time given to sorting the limiter on his wolf so it was left with a hard cut (spark).

Turbo was a literally brand new turbonetics Y2k. Which cost about Y2k as well.

Next day at dyno comp, ramped it up and it hit the limiter...POP POP POP BACKFIRE BANG!!.

The shaft snapped and the compressor wheel ate itself into the compressor housing. Turbine wheel was still perfect.

Thankfully, they stood by there product and after sending it back to the states they shipped back a thumper. Yes, we did tell about the backfire.

Hey Joey its Andy, you bought the 32 off me..sorry to hear the turbs blew up...thats very odd hey...

sounds like a manufacturing problem or something of the sought

Good too see you've kept her in smiko condition (minus the turbs) :down:

good luck with the rebuild, let us know what turbo you put back on her

Cheers,

Andy

Hey crew,

Just blew the turbo on my car, its the old hpi r32 4door drift car. Most of you would know the car?

It was running a kkr 480, what would be a good upgrade similar to this size turbo? it was running 250kw at the moment on 20psi... rb24 stroker motor. Also wondering if I will have to open up the motor or not as I poured alot of metal out of the cooler and pipes!

Any ideas would be great!

Thanks Joey.

Hey Joey its Andy, you bought the 32 off me..sorry to hear the turbs blew up...thats very odd hey...

sounds like a manufacturing problem or something of the sought

Good too see you've kept her in smiko condition (minus the turbs) :)

good luck with the rebuild, let us know what turbo you put back on her

Cheers,

Andy

Hey mate,

I put on the kkr 560 as Ben hooked me up a pretty sweet price! It is running well now with loads of top end, also re-cored the intercooler...Just need to get the car tuned now to suit the new turbo set up! It seems the new turbo is overboosting a little bit, I used the wastegate of the old turbo so was hoping it would hold 20 psi the same as the old one? But it keeps creeping up to say 22-23-24 psi which is a bit of a worry depending on which gear its in...Hope to get it sorted soon!

Good to hear from you

Talk soon

Joey..................What car did you end up getting?