SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

165...somebody stop me! Head started spinning as soon as I locked it out :S

Gotta run out of steam soon; at this rate I'm adding 10kg per week.

170kg. Was a fair struggle to get it up and lock it out. I did it straight after the deadlift challenge, so that no doubt made things tougher. Regardless, I'd say I'm pretty close to a 1RM plateau. But nothing 2.5kg increments and increasing the weights on my working sets won't fix :)

Birds, warm up is no doubt important, but there's plenty of research out there to show that static stretching reduces strength/power. So it's probably better to dynamic stretching or just stick with stretching in the movement with progressively heavier weights.

bit too general about claiming static stretches reduce strength. That chestnut is wheeled out all the time.

I static stretch I don't find myself becoming a feeb., quite the opposite. They are needed to help keep alignment in posture and position for lifts in my case. As you get stronger it's good for those like me who use it to get the ROM and alignment in check. Hard training sometimes has me stretching for days in the area effected. I am not trying to have ever increasing ROM , just reach the right amount for position and lift.

He is talking about static stretching right before you are training. When you static stretch, you reduce the blood flow to that area. This is obviously not a good thing right before you are going to load the muscle.

I do lots of static and pnf stretching, but at home, when i have an hour to do it properly. Cause you will be bloody sore if you stretch properly, and you need time to do it.

You don't need your muscle to stretch any more than the rom of the exercise you are doing. So just warm up with the exercise you doing, obviously start light and work up. If you can't do the full rom of the exercise, you need to work on this outside of the gym, as, like i said, you need time and it hurts.

I hear what you are saying rev. But I have 2 comps this year that I am doing. Bench has always been shit anyway.

Best of 110kg in a comp.

That was the reason I did a program where I benched 4 times a week. Max bench stayed the same and I picked up this condition.

After June I'll stop bench for a while.

Meantime I'm going with the physios word.

I'll look up what these Cuban presses are

Cubans and L-Laterals. Then shoulder press once you are strong. This will have your bench going through the roof in time.

Start out with just very light weights and see what you are like on them.

Edited by rev210

He is talking about static stretching right before you are training. When you static stretch, you reduce the blood flow to that area. This is obviously not a good thing right before you are going to load the muscle.

I do lots of static and pnf stretching, but at home, when i have an hour to do it properly. Cause you will be bloody sore if you stretch properly, and you need time to do it.

You don't need your muscle to stretch any more than the rom of the exercise you are doing. So just warm up with the exercise you doing, obviously start light and work up. If you can't do the full rom of the exercise, you need to work on this outside of the gym, as, like i said, you need time and it hurts.

Thanks for clarifying what I meant, i probably should have been a little more specific.

Cubans and L-Laterals. Then shoulder press once you are strong. This will have your bench going through the roof in time.

Start out with just very light weights and see what you are like on them.

ok so the cuban rotation is essentially what I do with one arm and a band so I'll give it a go with a broom stick handle to get it right and see how I go from there.

the L-Laterals I'll try with light light shit first.

Ah well thats a better explanation and I agree. However, I still static stretch before the lifts. To check ROM mostly ,so not as involved as post workout static stretching. The blood flow ,assuming warm up is a non issue. I still have my doubts about information (statistics) that indicate a decline in strength as a result just prior to lifts. There appear to be just as many recent studies debunking this idea.

Farrrrk Kai Greene has some size, I think he's got

It In him to take Phil this year (I thought he did last year though)

In other news, did another 5x5 session today .

Got my bench up to 91kg, power cleans to 82.5, chins to 25kg and deads to 127.5kgs. Small improvements, but still improvement I guess!

Edited by Mitcho_7

Locked out 170kg deadlift this evening, actually much easier than my last failed attempt. f**king stoked!

Nice work! Now I have to pull 175 to stay ahead of you...