SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

what brand is it? with proteins it doesnt matter what features it has.. Aslong as it had Glutamine, low carb low fat and high protein. 40g and over per serve is good.

Really u dont need any heavy suppliments unless ur really skinny and cant put weight on.

also 4 - 6 egg whites before every training sesh does wonders to muscle growth :/

There is information on the site about where they source it from, i think most of the isolate is from new zealand.

I add in creatine, beta alanine, and glutamine,

Last time i took egg whites half and hour before a workout, they ended up on the floor and the mirror of the gym, :-(, not good

yeah i get the feeling that im gona chuck them up too.. were they boiled?

An isolated whey protein is good, none of this gimmick bullshit.. Too many people rely on it. They worry what supp their taking and their thinking about Juicing it before they even have technique.

The biggest difference to me was the personal trainer, pushed me into heavy weight in no time, trimmed down fat and put on good solid muscle. All with propper diet and technique. A good personal trainer is well worth the 80 bucks/hr you pay..

yeah i get the feeling that im gona chuck them up too.. were they boiled?

An isolated whey protein is good, none of this gimmick bullshit.. Too many people rely on it. They worry what supp their taking and their thinking about Juicing it before they even have technique.

The biggest difference to me was the personal trainer, pushed me into heavy weight in no time, trimmed down fat and put on good solid muscle. All with propper diet and technique. A good personal trainer is well worth the 80 bucks/hr you pay..

Either a PT or get a gym buddy. Makes you push harder if you start competing with them. You spur each other on to push harder and more reps

what if the gym buddy has no clue about technique?

my cousin is my gym buddie, he cant push anywhere near what i can, but i still have alot of energy when training with him, he spots well and we both can train good, my PT helps me with technique and pushing past my limit.

But if essential to have a good gym buddie. Its more enjoyable training and if you both can get close in weight then you start to compete and thats where you just keep adding more and more weight.

Edited by LTHLRB

what if the gym buddy has no clue about technique?

my cousin is my gym buddie, he cant push anywhere near what i can, but i still have alot of energy when training with him, he spots well and we both can train good, my PT helps me with technique and pushing past my limit.

But if essential to have a good gym buddie. Its more enjoyable training and if you both can get close in weight then you start to compete and thats where you just keep adding more and more weight.

yeah lol a good gym buddie that knows good technique. I got a couple of buddies at gym and we're all pushing around the same. It's good, it makes less shifting of weights between sets.

I've been doing gym on and off for about 4 years now and have never had a PT. You learn about technique slower, but it comes eventually from watching other guys. If you can learn about technique early on it's a lot more beneficial.

It's the first thing I tell other kiddies that just start. It's fun breaking them in. But yeah it's not how much you push, it's how you push it.

Iv outgrown two gym buddies, who just quit on me cause they said i pushed too far. lol. My gym mate now, is quite close with me on certain lifts, but i am getting ahead in other lifts, but he is good and will go toe to toe with me on any superset/ forced reps, and heavy shit that i do, and we're are constantly pushing each other on. I agree if ur in the weights for a while you need a gym partner that is there with you and has the same mindset and goals that you have.

I have never needed a PT simply for the fact that i like reading and gathering knowledge for myself, figuring out what works for my body and how i react to different foods/ diets. Nothing against PT's but thats my experience.

yeah each to their own. Iv been training for nearly a year now and its been pretty slow getting up the ranks in weights, but since the PT iv gone from adding 10kg and trying that to adding over 40kg and pushing that. The earlier you get shown the right way the better it is for you i rekon, because its pretty much time wasted doing it the wrong way.

In the last month iv gone from benching 50kg.. 60kg on a good day to benching 90kg 3 sets of 8 - 10 reps each week. Leg pressing 250 - 300kg depending on how much energy i have. Curling 40 - 45kg. 90kg lat pulldowns. and keeps me wanting to stack on more and more weight.

what sort of routein have you guys got at the gym?

yeah each to their own. Iv been training for nearly a year now and its been pretty slow getting up the ranks in weights, but since the PT iv gone from adding 10kg and trying that to adding over 40kg and pushing that. The earlier you get shown the right way the better it is for you i rekon, because its pretty much time wasted doing it the wrong way.

In the last month iv gone from benching 50kg.. 60kg on a good day to benching 90kg 3 sets of 8 - 10 reps each week. Leg pressing 250 - 300kg depending on how much energy i have. Curling 40 - 45kg. 90kg lat pulldowns. and keeps me wanting to stack on more and more weight.

what sort of routein have you guys got at the gym?

what the heck? how heavy are you?

im 20 years old, turn 21 in november, started gym at 95 kg, im down to 90.5kg a year into gym. After around a month on my diet iv gone down in waist size and have more shape.. not just a slab of meat than can push big weight. Thats 2 and a half months training 5 days a week. mondays and saturdays with my PT..

Edited by LTHLRB

im 20 years old, turn 21 in november, started gym at 95 kg, im down to 90.5kg a year into gym. After around a month on my diet iv gone down in waist size and have more shape.. not just a slab of meat than can push big weight. Thats 2 and a half months training 5 days a week. mondays and saturdays with my PT..

I'm 22. Started at 70kgs at 18. Grew to 85kgs (throw some fat in there....I ate too much while going to gym). Cut back down to my current 72kg and lift more weight than i did at 85kg.

Max ever bench - 120kg 2 reps. Currently bench 80kg 8 reps, 100kg 3 reps. I was doing 5 reps of 100 and 10-13 of 80 but got slack for a couple of weeks. Curl 20kg dumbells each arm. 50kg preacher curl....not many reps. The bar weighs 7kg but I don't include that weight into the figures.

Squat 100kg. I don't leg press at all, I haven't really bothered with it.

I've hit a bit of a wall though. I'm finding progression is slow atm regardless of how hard I try and push forward.

ur progression has everything to do with ur diet. like eat upto 7 meals a day, cut down on salts and sugars, plenty of protein.

Max on everything iv done is 45kg Preacher curl 9 reps (after 2 35kg sets of 12 reps) 90kg bench (after 1 70kg and 1 80kg sets of 12 reps) 300kg leg press 3 sets of 10 (spotted) 100kg shoulder press (guided machine, spotted, after 2 80kg sets of 12 reps) Squat 100kg on a guided machine (cant squat free weight for crap)

i want to aim for by december 120kg bench press max

ur progression has everything to do with ur diet. like eat upto 7 meals a day, cut down on salts and sugars, plenty of protein.

Max on everything iv done is 45kg Preacher curl 9 reps (after 2 35kg sets of 12 reps) 90kg bench (after 1 70kg and 1 80kg sets of 12 reps) 300kg leg press 3 sets of 10 (spotted) 100kg shoulder press (guided machine, spotted, after 2 80kg sets of 12 reps) Squat 100kg on a guided machine (cant squat free weight for crap)

i want to aim for by december 120kg bench press max

Sounds like your progressing really well. 120kg bench is very possible it sounds for you. I reckon you can hit that in 6 weeks. When I did it I felt freakishly energetic that night. Did it once and couldn't do it again ever.

I free weight the squats. Once you get your balance right you'll be fine. If you have trouble with your feet as you lower, maybe put some weights under your heels to get an angle on your feet.

Do you do incline bench and tricep exercises as well? What do you do for back?

I'll do light deadlifts(40-60kg) bent and straight legged. Also seated rows on a cable machine. And weighted back raisers for the lower back again. Leg extensions. Shrugs, lateral pull ups....etc. there's heaps of exercises to do. I love doing Clean and Jerks as it uses your whole body, it wrecks you quicksmart.

Leg press, how good is your technique? I got beyond 350kg but it was more quads if I dropped it very low, to the point I could feel it in my abs and it was done properly, I had to drop quite a lot of weight off it...

Your shoulder press doesn't sound right, no offense, but 100kg is massive, I think I have a different interpretation of shoulder press...

Anyway, progression is more than diet, its also variation, try varying technique / weights if you get stuck, diet is extremely important :)

Your shoulder press doesn't sound right, no offense, but 100kg is massive, I think I have a different interpretation of shoulder press...

the shoulder press machine i use u cant go wrong with, it keeps you in line and flows perfectly. Seat is angled perfectly and seat hight is perfect. Shoulders the next day were sore as hell.. Remember its only 9 reps i did of 100kg. Freeweight dumbell shoulder press i do 65lb in each hand with a spotter.

Leg press on 300kg with a spotter i drop all the way down to my chest pretty much. Legs squared with my shoulders.

Do you do incline bench and tricep exercises as well? What do you do for back?

I do more Flys, machine and cable style. Flat bench barbell is where i do the heavy stuff, i also like to do incline dumbell 75lb sometimes.

Tricep i do tri pushdowns with rope, tri pushdowns with the triangle, tri pulldowns with straight bar, kickbacks and sometimes skullcrushers.

Back i do lat pulldown, seated row, bent over row, the seated pulldown row to ur chest thing (dunno what its called)

Protein powder, try Dymatize Elite Whey

Thats what im using now :) killer stuff

Edited by LTHLRB

Iv outgrown two gym buddies, who just quit on me cause they said i pushed too far. lol. My gym mate now, is quite close with me on certain lifts, but i am getting ahead in other lifts, but he is good and will go toe to toe with me on any superset/ forced reps, and heavy shit that i do, and we're are constantly pushing each other on. I agree if ur in the weights for a while you need a gym partner that is there with you and has the same mindset and goals that you have.

I have never needed a PT simply for the fact that i like reading and gathering knowledge for myself, figuring out what works for my body and how i react to different foods/ diets. Nothing against PT's but thats my experience.

Funnily enough in the years that I have been training I have had I would say 5 or 6 training buddys.But believe it or not the best ones were a little old man ( about 60ish yrs old ) and one of the girls who was into training a bit. The guys I trained with who were more hardcore I really didnt get the best results from,Too often they were either a know-it-all and insisted on doing their routine ( Which didnt work for me ) or they spotted too much and I lost the pump on my reps.

the old man and the girl were happy to do my routine, Spot the way I liked to be spotted ( Almost nothing ) and it all worked better that way

if you're in the gym "like everyday" you won't bulk up.. you bulk up because of how you repair your muscles after ripping them up in the gym,

so say you do one and a half hours of working out in the gym, that's the time that you'r ripping up your muscle fibres, following this, you have to "feed" them, this can be done by a few different things

cold shower followed by hot shower after your workout (constricts and opens blood vessels and is good for circulation - feels great too, helps you not be sore the next day)

Protein - whey isolate is the fastest acting protein and if you CAN drink it mix it up with skim milk too - contain casein (slow acting protein) and electrolytes and vitamin B which is great for after exercise... also contains a nice amount of carbohydrates so skim milk is my ideal "post exercise drink"

magnesium and potassium - found in oranges and orange juice, have one small glass a day though, i personally mix 3g of creatine (enough for body tone) with my orange juice after my workout too..

and most importantly

REST

if you rip up muscles in the gym, and feed them afterwards, they will only get bigger if you get the correct amount of sleep and rest.. if you're always working them and not giving them time to rest and form then you won't notice any diffence except strength

now

i'm not qualified or anything, i'm fairly knowledgable and have lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of muscle tone over the months, i've battled weight for a long time.. so this worked for me and can work for literally anyone - we're not all THAT different..

hydroxycut hardcore i've heard good things about however i take BCN's XLR-8, it's a natural formula the caffeine is derived from guarana seed, and it's a west australian company, it's cheaper too.. content wise i haven't compared it to hydroxycut... but they're both a thermogenic which are there to pick up your metabolism while the caffeine suppresses your hunger to binge eat.. they work like that and give you more energy to work out for longer therefore burn more fat... but the reality is, it's YOU that does the work, not supplements

also look into GDMA's containing amino acids as they will help lose your "gut" but "gut" can be caused by a few thigns

the main cause is diet specifically sodium / salts, it gives us gut bloat so limit that and you'll notice a size decrease

increase your cardio before breakfast, wake up, have a thermo pill, go for a run... reason being, you haven't eaten since dinner lastnight, so your body has burned off all carbs and proteins from your last meal, so the only other fuel in your body left is your fat. it's really that simple...

and WHEN you run... tense up your abs as much as you can for as long as you can, you don't need to do crunches and sit ups and bends and lifts and whatever everyday, it's a load of crap, a half hour of abs, once a week, is enough....

but fact is

abdominals are a support muscle,

when you run, they get worked out.

when you ride, they get worked out.

when you swim, they get worked out.

my advice is... don't "trim" before you "bulk" just do it all at once. it's not that hard =)

thanks for the reply thats realy helpfull :) , i used to play quite alot of sport before i started working away and that kept me resonably fit, but now i really like to keep ontop of it and since thers nothing else to do out here after work why not, will look into get a pt or someone in the know to write up a workout program based for me, and take it from there,

question is, is protein the best way to start straight up or should i get some sort of base level of fitness to start with before the powder? my fitness before wasnt bad but it has improved so far, basically id like to push the fitness higher whilst gaining size and tone aswell. also gotta start watching the foods i eat aswell

sorry for all the noob questions :)

cheers Nick

start your protein from day 1... eat alot of high protein foods aswell. Another thing, You cant get ripped and massive at the same time.. you need big mass then rip the hell out of it. So depends on which path u want to follow