SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

Most important advice from me is: experiment and find out what works for you. There are hundreds upon thousands of exercises you can do and most of us don't have the time to concentrate on every part of the body. So pick some well rounded exercises that work all major parts of the body and don't neglect parts like the legs or you will end up looking silly. You can shorten the experimental stage by finding someone with a body type that you would like to have and just adopt their exercise routine - but don't expect to end up looking 100% like them.

Most important advice from me is: experiment and find out what works for you. There are hundreds upon thousands of exercises you can do and most of us don't have the time to concentrate on every part of the body. So pick some well rounded exercises that work all major parts of the body and don't neglect parts like the legs or you will end up looking silly. You can shorten the experimental stage by finding someone with a body type that you would like to have and just adopt their exercise routine - but don't expect to end up looking 100% like them.

100% agree mate.

Go with what works for you, but still, dont leave muscle groups out.

Even if you do a few less exercises on some groups; like i have always had big toned legs, but go figure, HATE doing leg exercises - so i just do the big stuff; squats with the barbell, toe raising (on squat machine) for calves, and leg curl for hams.

A good friend of mine who i go to the gym with on the weekends is built like a brick shithouse (has ben going to the gym for years, ex footballer), does well in every muscle group, very built and toned in the upper body, but has legs like a rake - and he does double the leg exercises and weights i do with leg work.

Everyone is different!

+1 ^

i had a bar on my chest with 10kg on it, was doing a warm up set and just lowered it a little bit too far at the end of the set... from then on, if i was in the gym and alone, i use the smith machine for safety.. nothing looks dumber than having 10kg on your chest. haha.

im with birds on the discipline.. i train alone... in my garage... no distractions, no f#&kwits, no judging, no shame.

1 year of gym membership = 1 piece of equipment per year. after 3 years, i have a power rack, olympic bar, ez curl bar, dumbells, 200kg of rubber coated weights, adjustable bench, power tower, heavy bag, speed bag, floor to ceiling bag, nice rubber flooring, and this year i will be purchasing a leg press and some more weights and next year i will be building a proper room for it all to get it out of the garage so i can get some room back for tools and machines.

i worked out at fitness first last year... it was so frustrating being there with the crowds... the groups of testorone filled 21 yr olds, all huddled around the one leg press chatting, laughing, chekcing out the chicks, all doing 4 sets of 20 to look tough.. so annoying.

2 things get me through my workouts... 1. ronny coleman "light weight baby, light weight!" and 2. john cena can bench 250kg.

check out bodybuilding.com for just about everything you want to know, however like all websites, you cant trust everything and have to pick your way through the crap..

rosstraining.com is brilliant also, ross enamit is a genius with some of his little inventions and workout ideas.

cheers

Linton

+1 Also. I also dropped a Bar on my chest except at the time I was lifting 110kg. I blamed the Barbell as on my first set I was able to do a set of 10 but it felt funny. 2nd set the stupid bar spun over in my hands and fell flat on my chest from full arms length. No broken bones but severe internal bruising. I never did Barbell bench press ever again after this.Upon inspection of the bar it wasnt straight,it was a bit like a banana.No wonder the whole bar spun on me. Smith machine or dumbells FTW

Ouch^

Call it compulsive, but after each set I always re-line up the bar evenly across the rests and straighten up / clamp the weights together because I like everything to be as even as possible. That would have been a terrible experience to happen and I can see exactly how that would have happened if the bar was bent. You should have been able to sue the gym or the barbell manufacturer for that...because unless you overloaded the bar they aren't supposed to bend, only flex when you lift it and even then it won't roll over on you. Were you using a thumbs over or a thumbs under grip? I see tons of people using thumbs over and it's just asking for the bar to slip out of their hands.

iv bent a 20kg bar with 300 kgs, looked alright after until i took a few steps back and noticed the bend. lol. They tried to keep in the gym but it was stuffed and couldnt be used for nothing except a trophy.

Ouch^

Call it compulsive, but after each set I always re-line up the bar evenly across the rests and straighten up / clamp the weights together because I like everything to be as even as possible. That would have been a terrible experience to happen and I can see exactly how that would have happened if the bar was bent. You should have been able to sue the gym or the barbell manufacturer for that...because unless you overloaded the bar they aren't supposed to bend, only flex when you lift it and even then it won't roll over on you. Were you using a thumbs over or a thumbs under grip? I see tons of people using thumbs over and it's just asking for the bar to slip out of their hands.

Nothing wrong with being compulsive when personal safety is concerned. Mate it was a terrible experience. Something I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy. To this day I still get images in my mind of it happening, And what would have happened if that bar landed on my Face or head...RIP to me if thats the case. I had a go at the staff of the Gym and the pisspoor excuse was " Why are you trying to lift something that heavy ? " FFS I just did 10 full reps by myself without really pushing too hard. As for the Grip I must admit it was a thumbless grip. I mainly do this because when you really load a Barbell up. The Thumb under tends to Hyperextend the Thumb tendon. However in this scenario I highly doubt I would have been able to stop that weight from moving even if I didnt.

As for the Bar Whenever you are to use a Bar in the Benchpress. Firstly have the Bar sitting without any weights on it. Then turn the bar over a few times whilst looking at the centre of the Barbell. If you see the centre moving then DO NOT use it..

My situation was if you picture the loaded Bar , imagine that the weights were higher than the centre part of the bar. As I lifted out of the rack and brought bar forward to start point. As soon as I stopped bring it forward it spun over and boom.....

I agree, a spotter can certainly be beneficial to your training program. But I seldom see it where someone is spotting correctly. Many provide too much assistance IMO and I've never had need for one...you can always dropset until you reach failure as opposed to using a spotter.

Agreed.

i worked out at fitness first last year... it was so frustrating being there with the crowds... the groups of testorone filled 21 yr olds, all huddled around the one leg press chatting, laughing, chekcing out the chicks, all doing 4 sets of 20 to look tough.. so annoying.

Tell me about it, I can barely go to my gym after around 3pm. I go between the hours of 8am and 2pm, rarely being there after midday, which I sometimes even find me being the only person in the gym, the best way to work out haha.

I'm more of a resistance/bodyweight man myself

all the freeweights are usually hogged by all the meatheads at my gym anyway as I only have time to go after work when everyone else packs into the gym

as said before each style has it's own benefits

I'm going for the lean look rather than bulk

I'm in no way kidding myself that I will ever look like him, but my inspiration is the type of body that bruce lee had

MAn thats some dangerous stuff. Didnt hear any discs popping did you ?

Na dude, all good. To be honest, i havent done it again, most i ever lift now is 250kg on the rack. Its one of those things that when u get in the mood, u go a little crazy. We've all been there i think. (must of been the celltech) :D