SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

mass as in fat storage? or mass as in bulk hard muscle? go for 6 months building muscle mass, then do the rest ripping up. If you want to put on more size, change routine and put on more mass.

u should "take" protein no matter what, if your exercising or not, that's an EATING thing not an exercise thing

but

that said

btw - im on dymatize

tastes GREAT

but it's also really low fat low carb low everything except for protein which is all i want

but

beware

protein supplements are just that - supplements

it's for when you're not getting enough protein from your foodstuffs, like, yeah, they are great for after workout for building muscle but it's also good to hav a second scoop at morning tea time

just because it keeps your protein up

failing that

the following foods are excellent and great tasting sources of protein

skim milk (12g casein per 250ml glass)

skim cottage cheese (this is GREAT stuff - like 30g per tub n the chive one tastes great!)

eggs (albumen 7g an egg)

spinach

tuna in oil - oil's great for muscle definition i hear, i haven't noticed anything though!

salmon (rich in omega3 as is fishoils which are great for fat burning and muscle development)

high protein cereals - avail from health food shops, all bran is high in protein i beleive? can anyone cross reference this?

timtams (GREAT tasting.... nah jk these are really bad for you but F*CK they are delicious)

i know this seems stupid

but

check the nutritional breakdown of a mcdonalds cheeseburger - they're actually now that high in fat and contain 15g of protein a serve!

oh and

beef steak

and

KANGAROO STEAKS!!! (it's good meat!!!!)

but yeah

if you're about 90kg i suggest about 250 - 300g of protein a day for building muscle yo... it's hard to get that much for me cos i simply can't eat that much hahaha

PT's are n00bs for n00bs.

Sorry but if you can't workout to train/eat yourself, you sir are an A Grade n00b.

Ahh yeah thats right, i am a n00b :blush:

Edited by LTHLRB

Ahh yeah thats right, i am a n00b :blush:

At least you admit it. ;)

Seriously though, most PTs these days do a short course and are usually anorexic too.

They are good if your goals are general fitness, useless if you wanna put on mass. I dunno I guess I just rate hard work, good nutrition and training, call me weird.

Well at the gym i train at theres 3 PT's 1 girl 2 guys. The PT im getting trained by is nothing short of massive. Incle benches 160kg, shoulder presses 200kg on the same machine as me, leg presses 550kg. hese in competition now and hese been training himself for 9 years. Hese 30 now.

So he MUST be doing something right and knows what his on about.

Its the same as, why would you go to a mechanic to get an engine built if hese never built any proven and powerful engines?

another reason TO get one.. Why waste your own time when you can be doing things right from day 1... i wasted nearly a year, put some some size slowly. I should have gone to him from day 1 and id be way different now.

Im a n00b but ill be doing things right and getting to my peak before the guys who dont have PT's... :blush:

Edited by LTHLRB

I said most, not all.

But the fact that you have listed his leg press instead of his squat tells me something. :blush:

Further, if you do your research, not need to waste a year!

i havnt seen how much he squats yet. So far on legs iv seen him do leg press. If i can squat 100kg guided he'd def be able to add 50+kg to that.

Alot of people have diff opinions, and your obviously one of those guys who has too much pride to seek help and assistance.

My opinion is if you want to do it right 100% of the time and get good results earlier. PT all the way (not 5 days a week, 1 or 2 days a week even)

Or

If you want to do it urself and let that be ur claim to fame (not that it makes a difference) then try teach urself.

Generally speaking, the measures of strength are the squat, deadlift and benchpress. Yet your PT doesn't squat.

Dude I wasn't having a go at you.

But it is true, most PT's are a sham, if you have a good one, they are far and few in between.

And I don't have too much pride to seek help lol, I prefer to get mine from pro-bodybuilders. :blush:

I just thought I'd say that for the benefit of members who might be n00bs or new to training.

never said he didnt squat.. i just havent been there when he was doing squats..

your still getting ur help from somewhere, i wudnt ask an idiot for help with anything. i find it alot better using a PT for help in training, suppliments, diet and IF i decide to go on gear, that aswell. But right now theres no need for gear..

Don't your gyms have trainers there?

when i need help i just ask one of them.

Has anyone taken HORLEYS AWESOME MASS anabolic?

My previous protein has ran out ages ago, wanna buy another one.

Looks good and its only $90 for 3kgs.

Edited by QUACK

never said he didnt squat.. i just havent been there when he was doing squats..

your still getting ur help from somewhere, i wudnt ask an idiot for help with anything. i find it alot better using a PT for help in training, suppliments, diet and IF i decide to go on gear, that aswell. But right now theres no need for gear..

Yeah fair enough.

Your training isn't fantastic though. Where is the deadlifting and military pressing?

You've been training for 1 year and have poor lifts, ofcourse you aren't ready for the gear lol.

Don't your gyms have trainers there?

when i need help i just ask one of them.

Has anyone taken HORLEYS AWESOME MASS anabolic?

My previous protein has ran out ages ago, wanna buy another one.

Looks good and its only $90 for 3kgs.

Yeah the trainers are crap and useless at most gyms (particularly FF etc.) Besides, I don't need help with learning an exercise etc, I usually need help with plateau busting, for example improving my deadlift (I was stuck on 200kgs for a fair bit), a trainer at my gym wouldn't know this (actually i doubt they could deadlift in the first place.)

Get Dymatize Elite, around 115 bucks for around 5kgs is the cheapest u can get it.

I need propper strength in my back before i attempt deadlifts, i dont want to reck myself too early, When i start doing 1 body part per day thats when military presses and stuff will come in, im still learning everything and learning how to do it right.

i wouldnt say my training is great, its pretty average. But all good things take time :blush:

where do you train?

I need propper strength in my back before i attempt deadlifts, i dont want to reck myself too early, When i start doing 1 body part per day thats when military presses and stuff will come in, im still learning everything and learning how to do it right.

i wouldnt say my training is great, its pretty average. But all good things take time :blush:

where do you train?

Are you on NS?

Check out the fitness section there it is quite good. Read the stickied threads.

You really should start deadlifts, squats, military press from the outset. The deadlifts too early thing is a rumour.

I train in Taylors Lakes (crappy day spa gym). Sometimes at Thommo 5 Star, were it closer to my home would go there everyday its awesome. You?

Dymatize Elite wont work for me since i need high carbs.

I go to Craigeburn gym, its ugly.

I checked out fitness arena yesterday and it was the best gym i've ever been in.

Good equipment and trainers, boxing, lectures etc.

I know theres a 5 star gym in thomastown, where you live am i right?

Edited by QUACK

i train at Thomo 5 star. Heaps of motivation there, but way wayyyy too many people at around 5 - 630 and you haveto wait to use a machine or a pair of dumbells.

Yeah I live like 20mins from Thommo. If I train there, I train at around 10pm or even at midnight if im in the mood for a late night session, because I only go when my local gym is closed. Pretty dead at that time.

At the moment i am the heaviest i have ever been, 181cm, 98kgs, and currently have a carb cycling diet, currently on two days low carb during the week, and will bump that up to 3 days when i feel i have to.

It took me a while for me to come back from a broken ankle last year, which is still hindering me from doing full free squats, so its smith machine squats for a little longer :-(. Other than that my deadlifts have gone up, i regularly full deadlift 200kgs (none of that rack shit) My millitary presses are at 115kgs (on smith machine so im not counting the bar) my individual dumbell shoulder press i am doing 40kgs with a spotter to get them up. My bench press, im moving 120kgs for 7 good reps. Im trying to keep this strength while i diet down to around 94, 95kgs.

If anyone has seen Dorian Yates "Blood and Guts" video, thats pretty much the training i am doing, plus every four weeks i do a low rep heavy compound movements only.

Does anyone here follow the BB scene in America?