SAU Community

Why Do People Remove The Rear Spoilers Of Gtr's?

menace

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pretty sure no wing or GTR bits will be touching my car at all.

i love the look of my car....love how it sits and looks from the back and the front ;)

ps...dont mind the pea shooter...rego :(

post-9984-1226486773_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gus-

im all for playing around with a gtst, i think gtr's should be left well alone.. they look awesome as is.

33's need the gtr spoiler though, they just look soo much different without it, even the gtst looks so much better with it, and 34's need the wing aswell...

its all relative to how low your car is, with a low car, a massive gt wing will look the goods, or no wing will look the goods, or the standard wing will look the goods, if its standard height, or looks near standard, then it makes a massive difference, as the spoiler increase the overall height of the body.. excluding the roofline..

think about it, a 32 gtst in standard height, looks high and skinny, the wing makes the boot line (thus the entire side of the car) 100mm higher.. taking it off makes the car look a bit sleeker as it doesnt have the wide guards of a gtr, but lower it, and it looks even lower again, thus looking longer and sleeker.

but the r34 is a physically bigger car, with a high bootline even without the spoiler, no amount of lowering will make it look sleek because of its size, but a bigger wing and bigger rims can make the side of the car look physically smaller.. im not saying the r34 doesnt look good, just they are bigger than a 32, and fatter.

the wings weigh around 5-10kg though, so remove that, the rear wiper and motor, boot trim, springs for bootlid, jack and spare for track days and youve removed nearly 20kg from behind the axle, it all adds up, plus with the big rear muffler replaced by a nice light cannon and youve saved a fair amount of weight.. as well as pendulum like momentum

cheers

Linton

just to make things clear, i wasnt referring to the weight saving, but the aerodynamic improvement. i remember reading about a drag car in japan, it was fast, like in the 9sec bracket, and from memory it had an adjustable spoiler, not unlike the factory one, and when changing from full downforce, to none at all, made nearly 1 full second difference, so removing the stock one would make a difference, maybe not that much but its a free gain isnt it

The fact is none of the GTR or Skyline spoilers in general have any drag coefficient, therefore meaning they are just ornamental (for looks) The 9 second car you talk about having an adjustable spoiler is a fair call, but how many GTR/Skyline owners have 9 second cars on the strip yet alone the streets? More to the point the spoilers performance (stock parts) don't do anything unless you are travelling at over 200+km/h (id maybe drop that even to 180km's). The downforce on normal driving would not be noticable at all, and for RWD skylines (GTT's GTST's etc), it will probably fk them up even moreso having less weight at the back. If you had an adjustable wing that shaved near 1 second off your time quarter mil,e then like some people have said, your car would have been gutted, roll caged up, and stripped of near everything that makes a GTR a GTR. A drag car is a drag car, not a road car. A spoilerless GTR therefore comes under taste and preference. The stock spoiler on a GTR wouldn't make ANY difference in fact for road use it would deter your car. That being said, how many people do you see going 200+ on our roads? :)