SAU Community

R33 Ecu Remap

judd33

i have seen in the past few months places that are starting to do remaps for r33 stock ecu's in the eastern states and some places selling the chip or motherboard for the computer like nistune and dr drift.i know hyperdrive can do remaps for 32's but not for 33's yet,i am considering getting a chip or buying the motherboard,just wondering if any one would tune it in perth and do a good job,i know hyperdrive are good.i am getting a new engine put in my 33 in the next few months,something thats has done 50k to 70k on it,i will be putting the tubo from my engine at the moment on my newish engine,the turbo is a highflow,rated at about 250-260kw at the wheels.i will be getting better injectors,fuel pump put on the new motor and z32 airflow meter,will be looking for a good tune for about 330hp at the wheels,my car is a auto so i dont want to push it too much,cheers.

hey man,

From what I have heard.. R33ecu's cannot be remapped.. however If you want a chipped stock ecu, what they normally do is use a RB20ecu with a chip, and program it to run an RB25... Thats going from what I have been told... I am in the market for a new ECU, and I think the best optiopn is just to get a power fc, as they are the most tuneable, and will be the best option if you are going to be modyfing the car anyways..

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers..

maka.

* We are not planning at this stage to work on the ECR33/34 RB25DET due to the fact you need to replace the CPU to install the board and it is a whole new project for us. I have investigated this but dont have the time currently to pursue this one. Note: You can use an R32 RB20 ECU (however no VCT control available) or Z32 VG30 ECU with minor wiring mods when plugged into a RB25 loom.

Using NIStune will retain auto gearchange logic, saving unneccesary pressure on drivetrain, without compromising on tune by using piggyback.

You will also retain knock maps which are a feature of the stock ecu, which Power FC does not have.

I believe a few tuners over here in the West are taking up NIStune, but I know Top Racing have for a fact.

note: VCT can still be activated by an RPM activated switch(or similar) if going the RB20 ecu route

Edited by infamous_t

yeah..i took am looking into another ecu...either..

power-fc with d-jetro

or a remapped r32(chipped)ecu..which would cost bout round a 1grand in-total..which is the cheaper option..

coz the guy came-up with niz-tune lives in S.A and he can chip a r32 ecu for lik $250 bucks..so send it 2 him..

then get hyperdrive to tune ur car...i think want like 600-800bucks for the tune..

so yeah..

i believe this is correct...

anymore options avail, for r33??

e-mange??

• 1 month later...

R33 ecu can be remapped. I was talking to the guy in the US that does it about bringing his product to WA.

He needs a minimum of 15 orders for me to buy them off him. I use Nistune for my tuning atm so if there is enought interest in the 33 i dont see why we couldnt bring it here.

If 15 people come to me and hand over the cash for the boards ill order them ands get the tuning software.

R33 ECUs can be remapped here in Australia

R33 Daughterboard (this is the expensive part) installed and an 8 bit emulator plugged into that. NIStune can then let you retune using this

Afterwards tuner removes the MCU from customers ECU and install 84 pin PLCC socket, burn the tune to a blank replacment $80 MCU which is programmable once (PROM chip)

You can use a SMT workstation for MCU removal or I have found Chipquick to be very effective (and low heat non damaging to components)

Makes for cost effective install if a workshop just runs with the one ECU wiith daughterboard fitted for tuning

R33 ECUs can be remapped here in Australia

R33 Daughterboard (this is the expensive part) installed and an 8 bit emulator plugged into that. NIStune can then let you retune using this

Afterwards tuner removes the MCU from customers ECU and install 84 pin PLCC socket, burn the tune to a blank replacment $80 MCU which is programmable once (PROM chip)

You can use a SMT workstation for MCU removal or I have found Chipquick to be very effective (and low heat non damaging to components)

Makes for cost effective install if a workshop just runs with the one ECU wiith daughterboard fitted for tuning

Out of curiosity, would you say this is better/worse/same as going the rewired 300zx(or RB20) with Nistune?

Obviously running NIStune as a real time tuning would be better than going down the emulator road, but would a chipped rb25 ecu be better than a rewired 300zx ecu?

R33 ecu can be remapped. I was talking to the guy in the US that does it about bringing his product to WA.

He needs a minimum of 15 orders for me to buy them off him. I use Nistune for my tuning atm so if there is enought interest in the 33 i dont see why we couldnt bring it here.

If 15 people come to me and hand over the cash for the boards ill order them ands get the tuning software.

interested for sure,tell us prices please,but i am still considering going for a stand alone ecu,overboost do a good ems ecu for 2k,with install and tune.also can people recommend good forged pistons,looking at arias,eagle or tomei,hope that is right spelling.will also be putting new conrods,injectors and metal head gasket with new bearings too.

• 3 weeks later...

called hyperdrive yesterday, they said they dont do nistune for a r33 yet!!!!

there still in development for rb25det engines....

and u cant use a rb20det ecu,

coz the pin/harness is different...

or they just wont do it, not worth it? or maybe too expensive????

plus u lose VCT..

so yeah

any more ideas????

rb20 ecu will work and should be a direct plug in. I think u need to have a series 1 car for this.

Then just use an aftermarket vct controller

Actually I'm in melbourne :(

R33 EPROM Conversion Boards are now available, and will work with Nistune through external emulator (unlike usb port in factory ecu like other nistune options) or using NRE and multirom.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I know, old thread... but it seems now they can remap stock R33 Ecu!

Does anyone in Australia offer an R33 Ecu remap similar to this one?

http://www.skyline-owners-club.com/forums/...cu-upgrade.html

but a bit cheaper!

im going the rb20 ecu route for my 33, much better ecu, i got flat spots with my boost increase, now i have to run 7psi and only making 187rwkw.

purchased an r32 ecu for $50 and gettin either sam (dr drift) or jeff from the speed lab to sort out vct and tune.