SAU Community

Gtr R32 Weight

tacker

Yahoo!

because mines an odd length, do you think i'd need to send it away to get it measured properly? or could it be done without sending it away?

i was wanting to do this when i was holding the one kris put in the Mines 34gtr out here it was quiet nice!

Yahoo!

because mines an odd length, do you think i'd need to send it away to get it measured properly? or could it be done without sending it away?

Or.................. *you* could measure it up? :ninja::)

For $2k landed, put me down for one (R32 GTR) if anyone is going to organise a group buy :)

:merli:

yeah i think i will pull it out today and get the woman to measure it up.. haha

a group buy is on order!! i'd organise it if we can get a few numbers!

ok

i've emailed them for prices on 10, 20 and 30.

Edited by Angus Smart

surely some people will want this?

maybe we can do a dyno test before and after carbon shaft.

there would be a difference correct?

No. Or atleast there shouldn't be. The only reason to record a difference would be if the dyno wasn't being set up or run correctly.

We will start manufacturing one peice carbon fibre shafts for the R32 GTR as soon as we have refined our custom made m300 yokes.

I didn't think there would be much of of a market in Australia for them....

Will post up details when production has started. about 2 months around 2,000 AUD. Higher spec then ATCP / Trust / rebadge / rebadge

Good for up to 1000HP 10,000 RPM

PM if you want more details

Rob

We will start manufacturing one peice carbon fibre shafts for the R32 GTR as soon as we have refined our custom made m300 yokes.

Will post up details when production has started. about 2 months around 2,000 AUD. Higher spec then ATCP / Trust / rebadge / rebadge

Rob

"We" being.......... who exactly?

Indicative time frame till production?

Rob

ok interesting.. yes Moar details!

the us dollar is looking pretty sweet right now Atcp may have our business!

wouldn't the map look more responsive with a carbon shaft installed?

No.

There are bundles of misunderstandings about light weight drive train components. Some people reckon they destroy the driveability & low range torque of a motor.

Others believe the low rotational inertia produces masses more acceleration.

What is true that if the lower drive train inertia isn't factored into the dyno readings it will give a false, high, output number.

Also true is that a lightweight driveshaft (much like its flywheel equivalent) will reduce the amount of energy (or horsepower over time if you like) required to accelerate the car. Whether this is important or significant depends on a bundle of factors. I would suspect that a good carbon drive shaft would have a small & perhaps measureable effect.

We being RAF Engineering.

WA based company.

Can't give exact date on production run start but should be with in 2 months total. I want to ensure full testing, safety and material QS are above what is currently avaliable.

NATA will be doing some of our final testing.

Website will be up in in 3 weeks.

We are also making billet / carbon fibre Lat links too.

Also as stated above Atcp will be a lower spec then the one we will producing.

Also we are a australian based company using australian made raw materials.

PM box is full send emails to [email protected]

ok interesting.. yes Moar details!

the us dollar is looking pretty sweet right now Atcp may have our business!

USD is actually pretty average at the moment. the AUD is going pretty well though (which I gather is what you mean?).

a carbon shaft will most likely have less effect than a lightweight clutch and flywheel. it's simple nerd talk. flywheel and clutch are large diameter out from the crank, which means any benefit of lightening way out there is multiplied. one of the gingerbeers on here can explain it more succintly i'm sure. but with the shaft being quite small in diameter the weight removed is not far out from that centre of rotation. the plus side is you do save a fair bit of weight.

and seriously I reckon 2 or 3 max would be in on this.

USD is actually pretty average at the moment. the AUD is going pretty well though (which I gather is what you mean?).

a carbon shaft will most likely have less effect than a lightweight clutch and flywheel. it's simple nerd talk. flywheel and clutch are large diameter out from the crank, which means any benefit of lightening way out there is multiplied. one of the gingerbeers on here can explain it more succintly i'm sure. but with the shaft being quite small in diameter the weight removed is not far out from that centre of rotation. the plus side is you do save a fair bit of weight.

and seriously I reckon 2 or 3 max would be in on this.

Does that make me a ginger beer or a nerd, Baron? Maybe both.

The term you are seeking is the polar moment of inertia. J for short. For a hollow round section

Polar moment of inertia = pi/32 multiplied by (outside diameter to the fourth power - inside diameter to the fourth power)

Anyway for a small increase in diameter you get a big increase in torque transmission capacity.

On the flip side the metal at the centre of the shaft is doing next to fk all.

Question to Syslink. Which NATA accredited mob are you getting to do your testing, not Metlabs by chance?

Edited by djr81

either way its still weight i want to get rid of as thats my main goal for now.

and on the plus side, single piece shaft rather than the current.

and barron, a light weight clutch/flywheel would be somewhere 5x (+++) the cost of the shaft correct?

either way its still weight i want to get rid of as thats my main goal for now.

and on the plus side, single piece shaft rather than the current.

and barron, a light weight clutch/flywheel would be somewhere 5x (+++) the cost of the shaft correct?

Most Jap branded twin plate clutches come with a "lightened flywheel", and will set you back approx $1500.

You can get a super-dooper carbon clutch and super-dooper lightweight unobtainium flywheel for upwards for $10,000 though.

Most Jap branded twin plate clutches come with a "lightened flywheel", and will set you back approx $1500.

You can get a super-dooper carbon clutch and super-dooper lightweight unobtainium flywheel for upwards for $10,000 though.

yeah i've got an OS unit now i'm sure its good, cost a fair bit

but yes the $10000 was more to what i ment in the previous post.

Edited by Angus Smart