SAU Community

Evo: Gtr Vs Z06 Vs R8 Vs Gt3

You folks are too bias. The Z06 was faster.

The Z06 did 0-100 in 8.5 seconds and the GTR did it in 8.9.

The GTR did better 0-100-0, but they had a better reaction time in the GTR (time between WOT and hitting brake pedal).

GT-R: 0-100 = 8.9, 100-0 = 4.3, accel to brake reaction time = 0.6

Z06: 0-100 = 8.5, 100-0 = 4.5, accel to brake reaction time = 1.0

Thus, if you subtract the difference in reaction times, the Z06 was not only faster 0-100, but it's faster 0-100-0 also!

The Z06's lead would've been even larger had they kept going (the article mentioned that the Z06 was accelerating harder past 100mph....this also hurt its braking time).

The Z06 is even more impressive because it has inferior tires and hit the market a full THREE years before the GTR.

0-100-0 implies that you'll start timing from the moment the car accelerates up to 100mph and finish timing once it reaches a complete stop. Thats not very complicated, is it? Last time I checked 13.9 < 14.0 :thumbsup:

Seriously though, can't you just appreciate that they are both great cars and are fast enough?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

0-100-0 implies that you'll start timing from the moment the car accelerates up to 100mph and finish timing once it reaches a complete stop.
Comments like these usually mean the GTR accelerated faster:
yep gtr outsprints the Z06!
Did I hear him say that it outran the Z06 ??

I didn't know a sprint and "outrunning" included stopping....

Regardless, their reaction time in the Z06 explains why the GTR was a tenth quicker 0-100-0. The reaction time was 0.4 slower in the Z06, thus given an equal reaction time the Z06's time would've been 0.3 better. Getting the same same reaction time is unlikely - kinda like getting the same reaction time in the 1/4-mile on back-to-back runs. The human factor just happened to favor the GTR. You can claim that as a victory, but it is definitely a hollow one.

Additionally, they said the Z06 was accelerating past 100mph faster (more momentum). Also, the driver had just had to change to 3rd to get to 100 which meant it was more difficult to judge when to brake.

Edited by edwardhaskell

Regardless, their reaction time in the Z06 explains why the GTR was a tenth quicker 0-100-0. The reaction time was 0.4 slower in the Z06, thus given an equal reaction time the Z06's time would've been 0.3 better. Getting the same same reaction time is unlikely - kinda like getting the same reaction time in the 1/4-mile on back-to-back runs. The human factor just happened to favor the GTR. You can claim that as a victory, but it is definitely a hollow one.

Additionally, they said the Z06 was accelerating past 100mph faster (more momentum). Also, the driver had just had to change to 3rd to get to 100 which meant it was more difficult to judge when to brake.

You know what, they're just cars. If you can't figure out that many people on this forum are CAR enthusiasts and can appreciate many types of performance cars (including the Z06) then you need to read threads other than this one.

The GTR did better 0-100-0, but they had a better reaction time in the GTR (time between WOT and hitting brake pedal).

Thus, if you subtract the difference in reaction times, the Z06 was not only faster 0-100, but it's faster 0-100-0 also!

The Z06's lead would've been even larger had they kept going (the article mentioned that the Z06 was accelerating harder past 100mph....this also hurt its braking time).

The Z06 is even more impressive because it has inferior tires and hit the market a full THREE years before the GTR.

You guys know good old Ed here is from the corvette forum, just coming over here to justify why they lost with some lame number crunching BS. Hey Ed, go back to your pushrod V8 farm plow loving. Yeeehaw

The ZR1 corvette will probably top the R35

Agreed. The V spec will be more of a competition for the ZR-1.

The Z06 is an aweosme piece of machinery which did hit the mark a few years before the R35 did. In saying that the GTR is slightly slower at the high end of the scale but at those speeds who really cares :D

Edited by Zoggy

You guys know good old Ed here is from the corvette forum, just coming over here to justify why they lost with some lame number crunching BS. Hey Ed, go back to your pushrod V8 farm plow loving. Yeeehaw

hahhahahaaha

i lol'd :)

last time i checked, the Z06 and the GTR both had steering wheels....

i'm pretty sure cars are meant to turn aren't they? although judging from some of these linked threads and comments in here, i'm not sure everyone understands that.. i must admit, it's hard to get your head around...

>_<

The Z06 is a faster top end car. Power to weight ...easy math. There are fair whack of other cars faster than the Z06 and GTR again in this area.

However getting the pig off the line or round a corner fast without really having to get it perfect makes the car nice too don't you think?

Nice to buy a car with good traction and handling out of the box, we all like that. The factory don't hand the Z06 to you like that at present (as good as it could be). They do give you the GTR that way. Always sucks when the factory skimp on tyres etc. but, then thats what stock means.

There have been plenty of reviews now on various great cars compared to the new R35 from all over the world. There is now a very basic agreement that it's the best bit of kit you can buy for the price replacing the very worthy Z06 for 'bang for buck'.

Z06 is a great performer but, it's out gunned by the GTR in all but, outright straight line speed. Even then the gap is still very narrow. But, straight line speed isn't worth much in the equation I've owned a few cars that make the GTR and Z06 look like nerd toys for straight line speed. The same cars however would be in the dust behind the Z06 trying to go around a corner or stop.

Admit the GTR is great and if your not going to buy a Z06 a pretty good second option or visa versa.

last time i checked, the Z06 and the GTR both had steering wheels....

i'm pretty sure cars are meant to turn aren't they? although judging from some of these linked threads and comments in here, i'm not sure everyone understands that.. i must admit, it's hard to get your head around...

:rofl:

The point of the evo article was to race the best accelerating car (Corvette) in a straight line, the best road car (the Audi R8) on the road and the most track based weapon (the GT3) on the track to see how the GTR stacks up against the best of everything. It did a damn good job.

When I say the "best" I mean Evo's version of the best when you exclude straight out super cars.

I was actually most surprised to hear that it was faster than the Audi on bumpy Welsh roads and that the driver of the GTR needed to feather the throttle on the straight to allow the Audi to keep up, so that he could see how hard the driver was pushing to keep up.

It will be interesting to see how fast the v-spec is. Just imagine if it lost even 200kg's and gained 50 horses.

Nissan have done an outstanding job, as the article says it is the new benchmark.

Cheers

This is the thing about yank cars, all you seem to care about is how fast you can make it go in a straight line....

Cars have steering for a reason. Its a wounder people dont just replace drag strips with rails and race trains?

This is the thing about yank cars, all you seem to care about is how fast you can make it go in a straight line....

Cars have steering for a reason. Its a wounder people dont just replace drag strips with rails and race trains?

I love how ppl write of the Corvette saying sit doesnt handle. Its Australian built brakes are about the best steel brakes you can get on a production car. They are brilliant and fade free. And the car handles very well. How else can a Z06 be only 4 seconds slower over a lap of a 20km track, all with no traction control or 4wd or other gayness?

The GTR is perhaps the best all round performance car getting around at the moment. Especially for the dollars. But why does that mean ppl cant give credit to cars that do similar things differently? Hell the Vette is as quick as a GT2 Porsche...so how can you be so stoooopid as to say they dont handle :rofl: But consider for a second the asking price of the Z06, cosnider its only rwd and doesnt have a gay automatic gearbox, instead 3 pedals and a real gearbox which i understand is a cavemans way of changing gears these days, and a slower way to hurl the car down the road....and tell me the Z06 isnt a blindingly fast car. Hell getting back to the 20km Ring example, how many gearchanges are there in that lap? There could be the 4 seconds there? So you cant say they dont handle!!!!

At the end of the day they are all quick enough for me...it comes down to styling and sound for me. So this

bluedevil.jpg

Versus this

20071024_gtrworld_051.jpg

And go watch the Top Gear adn 5th Gear vids of the Z06...the thing sounds great and is a hoot to drive.

I had a mate recently go to the US and rent out a z06... Just by going on what he said, it didnt handle to save itself. Prehaps he was wrong, I doubt it as he drove it around for a week, and when hes here he owns a 02ish commodore, but feh.

There yank tanks that will never be availible here. I dont really get why we dont import more, I mean we import enough grey imports from japan right? But you never really see much in the way of yankee cars. Not that I mind, I dont really like them.