SAU Community

My New Hks Performance Air Filter Sux Ass....why?

well today i purchased a HKS pod filter for my rb20det

its got

-14psi boost

-apexi safc

-rb25 turbo

-front mount

-exhaust

and now a hks pod filter...

now that ive installed the air filter the safc seems to be reading a lower afm level.

why is it that a high performance air filter is giving me shit crappy performance???

http

:whistling:/cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...:IT&ih=012

this is the actual item ive purchased.

does it need like a custom cold intake??? if so does any1 have any examples??

my standard box use to feel like it pulled and worked better...and ran richer....

Edited by allthewaytotheskyline

If your air filter is nox boxed, it will be sucking all of the hot air from your engine bay.

I had an alloy CAI in my car.One day i was doing some work on the car and had left the top part of my CAI off.The car felt sluggish and couldnt work out why.I popped the hood,replaced the cover and the response returned.

What exactly makes you think that it's giving you "crappy performance"?

Have done a before and after dyno comparison? G-tech reading? Butt-dyno?

Also, please elaborate on this:

now that ive installed the air filter the safc seems to be reading a lower afm level.

Is your SAFC showing a lower A/F Ratio? Is that what makes you think your car isn't running as well?

can't believe you bought a mushroom style foam filter. scientifically proven to have the worst filtration known to mankind... and an old one at that. the foam on that filter is meant to be replaced once every year or so.

Agreed!

Having a 32, you could have easily modified your std airbox to get a cai done, fitted a top quality filter panel and your engine bay would still look stock, yet the box would be good for at least 250rwkw (if done properly) and probably out perform 98% of the filters on the market.

There is nothing wrong with the HKS air filters. My compressor wheel doesnt have any signe of damage from dirt/particles and the thing makes 260rwkws at 18-19psi so you cant say they dont get the job done.

Agreed!

Having a 32, you could have easily modified your std airbox to get a cai done, fitted a top quality filter panel and your engine bay would still look stock, yet the box would be good for at least 250rwkw (if done properly) and probably out perform 98% of the filters on the market.

Hmmm that doesnt sound like a bad idea, ive got my std airbox but havent put it in yet was going to.. any DIY tutorials for doing that? Wanted a pod but couldnt considering already got a FMIC dont want to get defected.. whats the best way of going about that?

You probly sucked up a road cone or small child with that HKS filter, hence the poor performance :thumbsup:

here is nothing wrong with the HKS air filters. My compressor wheel doesnt have any signe of damage from dirt/particles and the thing makes 260rwkws at 18-19psi so you cant say they dont get the job done.

Here, check this page out.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Cant argue the facts

Personally this would be the deciding factor to my purchase, hence the fact i DO have an Apexi filter now. In the end the choice is yours. But when your supposed to replace the HKS one every few thousand miles, compared to a zero maintenence Apexi (the occasional blow out with compressed air wouldnt hurt), i know where i stand!

Edited by gotRICE?

Hmm interesting test that one.

Can't believe how badly the HKS one did in it, i wonder if it was rigged....

I am pretty sure it was rigged, though I do agree that the HKS filter lets LOADS of dust threw, the Apexi's flow rate is pathetic.

We did a pannel of testing in out motorsport devision (I work for a major OEM) with the majority of the filters out there on test. While the Apexi did filter out dust well, it also had one of the worst flow rates and clogged the fastest (not a very good thing when you live in a dusty climate like South Africa), after watching all the testing there is only one filter I would use on the street, AEM dryflow.

Simple outcome was that:

Oiled filters only become good at filtering once they are a bit dirty at which stage they start to flow less.

Foam filters flow well but dont filter well at all

Stainless mesh = big no no

Paper/dry filters, best flow vs. filtration from clean till dirty, they also dont require cleaning nearly as often as oiled filters.

Just my 2c.

Is there any particular reason why you think it was rigged? Im interested!

Can you supply and results of your test?

Would you agree with me, that the fact that it cloggs up fast is because its actually doing its job? The whole point of the filter is to catch the particles of dust, so if its clogging then its doing it well! Makes sence to me! Otherwise, where is the dust etc going on the other filters?

My tuner threw my HKS pod in the bin and put on an Apexi filter.

His theory goes: "the foam needs to be oiled to filter dirt, and that oil gets sucked through the intake and fouls the AFM element, creating performance problems. I've seen it a million times. I clean the element, and the cars run better. Use a filter that doesn't need oiling, ya tool."

Save the oil for body rubs with your Mrs.

:thumbsup:

Hmmm that doesnt sound like a bad idea, ive got my std airbox but havent put it in yet was going to.. any DIY tutorials for doing that? Wanted a pod but couldnt considering already got a FMIC dont want to get defected.. whats the best way of going about that?

Don't own a 32, so can't really help, just know it's alot easier than doing a 33.

Seen it done on a few 32's and looks well hidden (ie: you need to know what to look for). Contact TurboX (Greg) he may be able to help you.

yeah I am not much of a fan of the HKS foam type pod. I have used the Apexi pod in my previous skyline and it was great. Easy to clean and sounded and went well. Highly recommended