SAU Community

2d Vs 4d Skyline. Performance Drop?

I'm seriously considering purchasing a 4 door (sedan) 1996 GTS-t Skyline. Now obviously the sedan model isn't going to perform quite as well as the coupe, but is the performance hit anything significant?

I was planning on getting a coupe, but the sedan I'm looking at is a pretty damn good deal.

Thanks for any advice.

trust me, if there is a difference, you wont notice it. it might weigh a few extra kegs because of the two extra doors, but thats it.

buy my four door, its the best!!! :(

i test drove the 4dr 34 and 2dr 34...massive difference.

they were non turbos though.

what matt says about the extra two kegs is right tho..

Really? The extra doors/length must really add a significant amount of weight then, assuming the specs between the coupe/sedan are identical….

Anyone able to give more confirmation of this, or know if this is consistent in the R33 model?

IMO,

I have never driven a 4dr, though I have heard what they have handled like. I think what you might have to consider is the marketing purpose of a 4dr, what they would do to a 4dr. The only thing I can think of is the suspension being tuned differently to match the body's rigidity. Possibly with the 4dr since you have a big chunk of the side cut out for a door, the flexural rigidity would go down.

Thats my thoughts. Don't get me wrong I think 4dr skylines look hawt done right. Im still waiting to hear from someone to convert a 4dr r32 into a 4dr gtr, or buy a AUTECH r32 and put some turbz on that.

Performance difference could easily be attributed to incorrect timing on one car

fuel being used

condition of the motor

etc

for cars that are near enough to the same, you'd be hard pressed to pick it substantially

IMO,

I have never driven a 4dr, though I have heard what they have handled like. I think what you might have to consider is the marketing purpose of a 4dr, what they would do to a 4dr. The only thing I can think of is the suspension being tuned differently to match the body's rigidity. Possibly with the 4dr since you have a big chunk of the side cut out for a door, the flexural rigidity would go down.

Thats my thoughts. Don't get me wrong I think 4dr skylines look hawt done right. Im still waiting to hear from someone to convert a 4dr r32 into a 4dr gtr, or buy a AUTECH r32 and put some turbz on that.

What have you heared that they handle like then?

What have you heared that they handle like then?

haha are you quoting my bad engarish?

on the handling side of things, what i hear is they have more sway about them and just dont come up to the "coupe" standard.

Havnt driven a 33 4door, but have driven a 33gtst, and on a seperate occasion r34 25GT (rwd non-turbo manuals) 2 and 4 doors back to back to specifically see if there is a differecne (wanted to know how they go as im planning on buying a 4door R34 GTFOUR in the near future).

Both the r34s perform almost identically.

If you percieved a difference it was most likley that the 2door that you drove was an r34 GTV which has the brakes and suspension from the GTT, even then the difference isnt that huge. There should be almost no difference in performance, there is only a 60kg weight difference.

As for the OPs question, there may be a difference, not 100% sure on the R33s, but the fundamental structure of the suspension is the same, but it may have a slightly softer set-up. Nothing a SydneyKid suspension kit would fix. And the engine and drivetrain are exactly the same.

check this out for the specs:

http://www.japanesesportcars.com/skyline/s...r33_gts25tm.php

The sedan is 8cm longer and 2cm taller and same ground clearance. Both sedan and coupe have identical wheelbase and track, and the sedan weighs 70kg more.

So to answer your question f**k all difference, go for a 4 door! thats my plan anyway.

Test driven both 2 dr and 4dr R33 and R34 , In the end i switched from a 2 dr R33 to a 4 dr R34

More space and bigger boot.....

unless u really want a 2 door skyline, not worth paying the extra $$ for it...

Moreover, 2 doors attract lots more attention ...unless thats what u want

I find that extra weight negligible for daily driving.....

anyway tats my 2 cents...

on the handling side of things, what i hear is they have more sway about them and just dont come up to the "coupe" standard.

so since the four doors have more sway your saying the 2 doors handle better, the last time i looked new zealands drift champ was driving a 4 door. :)

post-50030-1213354082_thumb.jpg

dont confuse the comparison with a gtr, the only diff is the fact ones a coupe and ones a four door.

i have found that 9 times out of ten i can full lock drift, with out feeling the rear of the car wanting to overtake the front,

the gtr was very uneasy, as i hate HICAS, but now handles just aswell since ive had it removed

Edited by nizmonut

I hope the 4 door isnt worse... considering how much strengthening the 2 door needs. Mine felt like a dead fish less than stock, ie less the strut braces (as most cars are sold). With them and some other bracing the car tightened up.. but that isn't stock.

I like how my 4dr handles, but it is awd, and for some reason has had additional under body bracing, which from memory runs from under the front doors to the rear suspension, weirdest thing I've ever seen. I'd suppose it would reduce flex though.

I have owned a r33 gts25t sedan and now a coupe.

the sedan is something like 50 kg's heavier.

You cant notice a difference between the two mod for mod.. and if u can u may just well have ur hand on it :geek:.. I am speaking for r33 gts25t's only..

If its an r33 ur after, dont for one second think the sedan wont perform..... all performance part are interchanable ie suspension, all motor, zorst etc..

so since the four doors have more sway your saying the 2 doors handle better, the last time i looked new zealands drift champ was driving a 4 door. :ermm:

post-50030-1213354082_thumb.jpg

dont confuse the comparison with a gtr, the only diff is the fact ones a coupe and ones a four door.

i have found that 9 times out of ten i can full lock drift, with out feeling the rear of the car wanting to overtake the front,

the gtr was very uneasy, as i hate HICAS, but now handles just aswell since ive had it removed

But isnt being New Zealand champ the same as being the smartest kid with Down syndrome. :)

on the subject of differences, does anyone know for certain that the back lights of a r34 coupe can fit sedan? i mean the whole assembly...

cheers guys

No they won't fit. Completely different.

Edited by n15m0