SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

I have absolutely no personal knowledge or insight - but googling around it looks like it could be a lubricant additive in your oil - http://www.bobistheo...e-oil-analysis/

Titanium

Titanium is a newer, more environmentally friendly anti-wear additive being implemented due to more stringent emissions regulations, and is phasing out the older, more harmful phosphorous compounds such as ZDDP (Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate). ZDDP reduces the effectiveness of the catalysts in catalytic converters by creating a plating effect when combusted, and covering the catalyst while Titanium does not. Titanium chemically binds to wear surfaces creating a hard, Titanium based oxide layer which reduces friction, thereby reducing wear. Concentration levels vary greatly depending on oil brand.

Looking a bit further, I found http://www.exxonmobi...UsedOilEval.pdf which talks about oil analysis, and mentions some negative reasons for titanium in oil tests:

Upward movement of Iron and Titanium and Chrome may indicate a spinning bearing outer race if the engine case is Titanium.

Don't think this is relevant for RB2X engines.

The last reference I found at http://www.lube-tips.com/focus/2006_08_30.htm

The presence of titanium in used oil analysis is generally a result of contamination from paint. This is often expected from new or rebuilt components such as gearboxes. Titanium can also result from wear of high alloy bearings, or high-quality steel in gears.

Anyway, hope I've found something useful.

Recently brought a 32 GTR, Fully rebuilt around 20,000k's ago. What oil would you recommend? Daily driver. Last service i put 10-50 motul in it.

Mobil 1 oil, always used it in mine from day one, never noisey, never changes colour, and no oil consumption, its impressed me, even with 300kw and ethanol its like honey on the dip stick... its 0w/40w

I thought having oil staying clean meant it wasn't cleaning the carbon/shit out of your engine?

i think thats more to do with your oil being contaminated by your blow by gases, so if your engines loose you'll have black oil sooner, mine would go dark after a number of dyno runs, but not with normal use...

im sure ill be corrected, now with ethanol it never gets dirty so must prove my point, but its still a clean oil whatever grade it is and has worked well for me.. my opinion only

i think thats more to do with your oil being contaminated by your blow by gases, so if your engines loose you'll have black oil sooner, mine would go dark after a number of dyno runs, but not with normal use...

im sure ill be corrected, now with ethanol it never gets dirty so must prove my point, but its still a clean oil whatever grade it is and has worked well for me.. my opinion only

Wat?

Mine is jet black after 500ks, sounds like there is no detergent in the oil.

[

Soot and carbon buildup are a byproduct of the combustion process, if the oil is still honey colored after 5000km then there is 2 possibilities I can think of. The engine is extremely clean by engine health (good compression etc) and the tune itself (not overly rich etc) or the engine oil by design has minimal detergents for cleaning

Soot and carbon buildup are a byproduct of the combustion process, if the oil is still honey colored after 5000km then there is 2 possibilities I can think of. The engine is extremely clean by engine health (good compression etc) and the tune itself (not overly rich etc) or the engine oil by design has minimal detergents for cleaning

As said before, every engine and setup must contribute heavily then... The engine has close to 200k on it, comp test 175average, zero oil consumption and definitely a rich tune, people driving behind must be getting tipsy lol, hope theres no RBT around as i drive by, they'd all be taken into custody..:)

I would of thought the soot was from the 98 having being made from oil products, ethanol is an alcohol so how can you get soot? it should literally clean the soot out the tail pipe?

• 3 weeks later...

lol at the tipsy comment.

I've found it doesnt matter what i put thru my car, it used to always come out almost as clean as it went in after 5000km. but with time and some more Km's (almost 80k ive put on it now, total of 145k) it is getting a little dirtier every time. but still by no means black or even a solid color.

My angry old bug would turn the oil black within 2 mins of running after a change :P

I've now gone to the Penrite Ten Tenths, racing 10, 10-40 (stupid name). ive never used penrite before, whats everyone's thoughts? (ive done this due to availability in my local area.....im getting sick of chasing round the countryside look for the same oil everytime)

I've now gone to the Penrite Ten Tenths, racing 10, 10-40 (stupid name). ive never used penrite before, whats everyone's thoughts? (ive done this due to availability in my local area.....im getting sick of chasing round the countryside look for the same oil everytime)

reported to be very good and for a non 300+rwkw skyline that's not seeing the track is a great choice

Recently brought a 32 GTR, Fully rebuilt around 20,000k's ago. What oil would you recommend? Daily driver. Last service i put 10-50 motul in it.

whatever the engine builder reccomends

Your oil getting black is from the detergants 'cleaning' your engine, you certainly wouldn't want to be getting black oil just from blow by.

If you change oil only every 5,000km's it should be slightly black, by 10,000km's if it aint black I would be worried, either the engine is impossible clean or the oil aint cleaning sh*t.

I chnged my oil today and noticed that i used the whole 5l bottle but i couldn't see the oil covering the cams is that meant to be so i read a post where someone said they only use 3.4l.

It's a NEO engine .

Edited by B-rice

Your oil getting black is from the detergants 'cleaning' your engine, you certainly wouldn't want to be getting black oil just from blow by.

If you change oil only every 5,000km's it should be slightly black, by 10,000km's if it aint black I would be worried, either the engine is impossible clean or the oil aint cleaning sh*t.

Blowby is one of the reasons oil needs to contain detergents to 'clean' the engine.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=258648

If ring seal was perfect and combustion was complete, oil would last far longer.

I chnged my oil today and noticed that i used the whole 5l bottle but i couldn't see the oil covering the cams is that meant to be so i read a post where someone said they only use 3.4l.

It's a NEO engine .

tumblr_lzxhn2zfdP1r451pk.gif

Sir. Step away from the Skyline.