SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

Thanks for the input guys. Might start off with Mobil 1 or similar 10w40 and see how it goes.

good choice :yes: , i wouldnt bother with some high milage oil, just use the Mobil1 fully synthetic and see if it uses oil first.

• 1 month later...

Anyone used those Shell branded oils?

Seems like the only thing I can find that is 10w40 from the local shops (the most recommanded spec from what I have seen) without paying $50+ onwards.

Car is just auto daily driver with basic bolt ons.

Edited by Mayuri Krab

would be fine.

People get strangely finniky about oils etc when really there is little need.

If your car is unmodified (i.e. major power and tune alterations), doesnt make lifter noise on startup, and doesnt use oil then a Shell 10w40 would be sufficient.

If you give it a regular bootfull and go to the redline then maybe think about at least a semi-syn, but otherwise, all good.

Anyone used those Shell branded oils?

Seems like the only thing I can find that is 10w40 from the local shops (the most recommanded spec from what I have seen) without paying $50+ onwards.

Car is just auto daily driver with basic bolt ons.

• 2 weeks later...

Coming up to my first service :D

I've done a bit of reading and I was pretty set on Castrol Edge 10w 60 because RacePace uses it.

Here are my personal circumstances which may factor in.

• Melbourne cold (start-up wear?)
  • Daily (And I live next to freeway so short period before on and 100km/h)
  • Track work
  • 240 rwkw

So basically I think I might need a lighter oil than 10w 60 oil to help with going from cold start to 100km/h in 1,400m warm up space.

Thoughts?

^ if its a rb with no oil flow/drain mods you should be using something thinner as thicker oil is harder to drain back to block /main bearings where most rb's fail. i fill my rb20 up to 6 liters for that extra protection that most do if they dont have oil control mods for track work.

been using motul 8100 5-40 for awhile now with no oil control mods although cant be arsed paying 80 bux a bottle anymore .

what are peoples thoughts/ experience with penrite HPR 5 5-40 full syn for limiter bashing and abuse compared to the motul?

Edited by Dan_J

Coming up to my first service :D

I've done a bit of reading and I was pretty set on Castrol Edge 10w 60 because RacePace uses it.

Here are my personal circumstances which may factor in.

Melbourne cold (start-up wear?)

Daily (And I live next to freeway so short period before on and 100km/h)

Track work

240 rwkw

So basically I think I might need a lighter oil than 10w 60 oil to help with going from cold start to 100km/h in 1,400m warm up space.

Thoughts?

Run what ever oil helps you sleep at night ;)

That said, I like to believe 10w/5w oils are fine, for our climate, I don't think there is a big difference in cold viscosity, but for your situation I would just let the car idle for a little bit to get the engine oil temp up so you are not getting to 100km/h on a completely stone cold motor.

If you have a oil pressure gauge it should give you a rough idea on how the oil is flowing through your motor, cold it should be high, as it warms up it should stabilize. Use this to judge when its safe to travel at 100km/h, if you granny it up, even on a cold motor it should be fine. I don't rev my motor more then 3k rpm when its cold, and keep it light on the throttle till oil temps are normal.

I am in no way giving professional/expert advice. Just from all the reading I have done, that's now my current opinion. I personally run 5w40 motul 8100

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Edited by Booki

^ if its a rb with no oil flow/drain mods you should be using something thinner as thicker oil is harder to drain back to block /main bearings where most rb's fail. i fill my rb20 up to 6 liters for that extra protection that most do if they dont have oil control mods for track work.

been using motul 8100 5-40 for awhile now with no oil control mods although cant be arsed paying 80 bux a bottle anymore .

what are peoples thoughts/ experience with penrite HPR 5  5-40 full syn for limiter bashing and abuse compared to the motul?

How much cheaper is the penrite?

Long as you drop it regularly I don't think it matters too much. You may as well go cheaper as I don't think the hpr range are a "proper" full synthetic group iv oil? Tho not 100% sure

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Interesting point on the oil mods. I'll have to look into what oil mods there are! Feel free to recommend any.

Penrite synthetic 5 (5w 60) is another oil I was looking at

My PowerFC lists water temp, Could I use the water temp as a guide as to when it's "ready" ?

...I don't think the hpr range are a "proper" full synthetic group iv oil? Tho not 100% sure

Correct! The base oil in the HPR range is not a true fully synthetic - most other brands would label it "semi-synthetic". If you want a decent penrite oil, grab one of the "Enviro" ones :)

Well the oil testing crowd f**ked up 2 samples from me, so gave up, forgot to grab another branded kit when I got the oil changed again farken, so will have to wait another 10000km to get a sample for analysis :/

Correct! The base oil in the HPR range is not a true fully synthetic - most other brands would label it "semi-synthetic". If you want a decent penrite oil, grab one of the "Enviro" ones :)

ok so i've gathered that the HPR 5-40 is basically motul 4100 or lesser.

now 'what are peoples thoughts/ experience with penrite Enviro 5-40 full syn for limiter bashing and abuse compared to the motul'?

its $20 cheaper then the motul 8100 and as i grab 2 bottles for my oil change that makes it a $40 saving.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Penrite-Enviro-Engine-Oil-5W-40-5-Litre.aspx?pid=324403

Edited by Dan_J