SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

Generally, unless you're radically changing oil viscosity or the old oil is very old/dirty, you're usually fine to just get the oil up to temp, drop it (don't burn yourself) and throw a new filter on with some fresh oil of your choosing.

Generally, unless you're radically changing oil viscosity or the old oil is very old/dirty, you're usually fine to just get the oil up to temp, drop it (don't burn yourself) and throw a new filter on with some fresh oil of your choosing.

Thanks for that, thinking of going penrite HPR 5w-40 full synth. Or the everyday+ 5w-40 semi-synth. Edited by Zrobe

500ml auto trans fluid in the oil. Idle for 15 minutes. Dump oil and filter.

there's your flush.

So.. Just any auto transmission fluid? Edited by Zrobe

So.. Just any auto transmission fluid?

well new auto trans fluid but yes.. any brand. I just bought a 1L bottle of castrol auto trans fluid and it gives me 2 flushes.

I do it every 3rd oil change.

So.. Just any auto transmission fluid?

well new auto trans fluid but yes.. any brand. I just bought a 1L bottle of castrol auto trans fluid and it gives me 2 flushes.

I do it every 3rd oil change.

Could all be placebo but...

Going from Motul 8100 xcess 5w/40 to Gulf Western Synx 5w/40.

The motor feels a little more..."lethargic" during initial start, like it won't rev up as freely/easily/quickly.

Could just be the weather....

You could be onto something mate, I wouldn't put gulf western in my lawnmower

Ooh... Very scientific.

I run GW in all 3 cars. Haven't had an issue. Synx6000 is not a bottom of the range product.

I checked out the spec sheets of both Motul 8100 xcess and Gulf Westerns Synx6000, both were very similar on paper. even the Penrite HPR 5 is similar....

Could be just the cold weather...or there is something different between them that isn't counted on paper.

• 4 weeks later...

Could all be placebo but...

Going from Motul 8100 xcess 5w/40 to Gulf Western Synx 5w/40.

The motor feels a little more..."lethargic" during initial start, like it won't rev up as freely/easily/quickly.

Could just be the weather....

hmmm.

missus mazda 3.

was using penrite everyday syn 5w40.

engine has approx 130k.

went to motul 8100xcess.

feels alot quicker and more responsive.

might be the oil.

I'm surprised they don't use something like Mainlube in such a rare motor!

im surprised they werent importing nismo oil from ja-pan.

after all, that's who built the car.

I use the cheap $22 GW Synx-3000 semi-syn oil in my car & doesn't notice anything compared to what ever stuff was put in there by the work shop before.

I changed it every 5k km or 6 month & the car (used) to be a daily driver (no tracks) so I don't see the point of spending >$40 for oil.

I use the cheap $22 GW Synx-3000 semi-syn oil in my car & doesn't notice anything compared to what ever stuff was put in there by the work shop before.

I changed it every 5k km or 6 month & the car (used) to be a daily driver (no tracks) so I don't see the point of spending >$40 for oil.

I've come to the same conclusion too, when you work out what you save over a 100k km on the $70 oil it adds up to nearly the cost of a low K wrecker motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Have read the last few pages of the thread but to be honest it's a bit all over the place. Just wanting to know what brand/weight of oil to use in my car.

RB25DET Neo with 130xxx k's on it. Will be my daily but I will hopefully be doing a few track days and 6-7 drift days per year and I will be driving it fairly hard. Where I currently am the temperature he's down to about 0 overnight and about 20 during the day.

Not really sure what brands are good and what weights for climate/engine age so any info would be handy, thanks!

What brands would you suggest? Or doesn't really matter as long as its fully synthetic?

This engine won't have been started in about a year either, am I best off buying some helper stuff to put in at first start up then changing the oil once I know it's running fine?

Been digging through this thread quite extensively but still having trouble making up my mind, hence my current post.

Just wanted some opinions on what oil i should be using for my next service. This will actually be my first service since owning the car so i don't wanna skip out on anything. I'm willing to spend big $$$ to make sure my pride and joy is running at its best. Through my reading, i've come across some good rep for SYN-X 3000, Mobil 1, Motul and Royal Purple.

CAR DETAILS

'98 Skyline R34 25GT (Coupe)

Automatic

Approx. 93,000km

Never tracked

It's been recommended to me, based on the number of kms the car has done, that i should be going for something along the lines of... Fully synthetic 10W-40.

Any info would be appreciated,

Cheers