SAU Community

Gtr Vs Gtst Huge Difference In Performance?

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all due respect, who the f uck is the "in" crowd these days? IMO Australian's generally pick the underdog, so is the GTST is the Ozzi "in" crowd? lol

The majority of hipo car owners don't know wtf they want / need anyway. The threads an insight lol :):D

The "in" crowd is also kind of like personal preference, it's whatever makes YOU feel like you belong. People trying to be as cool as their mates. That's probably why people buy Hondas :)

I don't buy into that sh!t and I'm also not a pimply faced teenager even though I drive a gtst :D

Well i bought a gtr because I love the handling. I prefer the 32 over the 33 because it feels more nimble, though i think part of that is the soft tune my 33 power fc currently has.

I have no dount that every single GTS-T out ther with an aftermarket turbo will absolutely blow the doors off me in a straight line, and also on a track where speeds over 180k's are seen regularly.

However since i live nowhere near a track and the most chalannging drive i get is up and down the near by ranges im happy with small turbo's response and handling.

I couldnt give a crap what other people think about the car. I like it and thats all that matters to me.

And if your stupid enough to buy a car to get you into the "in" croud or get you some skirt well good luck to you...

And if your stupid enough to buy a car to get you into the "in" croud or get you some skirt well good luck to you...

Lol Skirt? that happens? Since the 3-4yrs Iv owned my import, i get nothing but highschool males at servo's asking the three most important automotive specifications...

1 - "How much boost are you running dude?"

2 - "Bet you smoke almost all of the V8 boys eh?"

3 - "Can you do a burnout when you drive off?"

Edited by GeeTR

Lol Skirt? that happens? Since the 3-4yrs Iv owned my import, i get nothing but highschool males at servo's asking the three most important automotive specifications...

I have the same prblem.....must be doing something wrong lol :P

lol good call :P

Well ive decided to sell my 33gtst! Which was sadly gone last thursday! It took me a while to realise it would never be what I want it to be a GT-R! I spent thousands on it I even put a GT-R kit on it but each time I would do something to it, the more it would feel like it will never be a GT-R! Finally I let my baby go in order to find a GT-R! I really did like the 33gtst but it's not the same as a GT-R! You could always do a gtst to be as good or even better than a GT-R but at the end of the day it's only the GT-R's smaller brother! And your only just goin to keep modifing it to just keep up with the GT-R!

Ive just looked into getting one for a while and one thing that I realised is that the majority of blokes driving gtst's are just pimpled faced teenager's which is true have owned one, It is great that there are enthusiasts that have gtst's but there isnt that many of them, it's just mainly blokes that just want a fast car that dont really give a fuc# about their cars! The main reason why I like the GT-R is that alot of the majority of GT-R owners are actual enthusiasts! Im not saying if you have a gtst you are not an enthusiast im just saying there are more skyline enthusiasts with GT-R's! Plainly becoz of money or they like gtst's which is great!

Ive bet ive sturred alot of you blokes up but it's an opinion!

Give us your thoughts!

Yeah i'd say thats a fair opinion. But I only partially agree with you that GTR owners are generally enthusiasts. That might have been the case a few years ago but the because the R32 GTR's are so cheap these days (for a bad one), any 20yr old with a bank loan can afford to get themselves one.

Shortly there after aquiring their GTR they pull the boost restrictor and then blow the turbo's or fry the clutch by doing 8000 RPM launches to impress their mates. Sure its entertaining and fun as hell. Then once broken they park it in a shed somewhere where they continue to pay for the loan and registration of a car that collects dust.

What this means it that the GTR's that are on the road indeed are eith owned by enthuesiests, new owners that havent broken their car yet, or people that got themselves a 2nd loan. It costs about $6000 per year to just maintain a GTR. If you add to that the spending of another $10K in purchases of high quality upgrades and fitting, even an R32 GTR is out of reach for most young people. If you cant afford to buy a new engine for the car inside a month its the wrong car for you. Fact is they are a japanese supercar, so although cheap everything is expensive for them.

You could always do a gtst to be as good or even better than a GT-R but at the end of the day it's only the GT-R's smaller brother!

Good at straight line speed/drag? Good around corners? Good at motorkarna events? No modification or list of modifications ever makes one car better than an other car. Tuning one aspect of a car always takes some other aspect away. A stock un-tuned GTR as it is, is a very well rounded car, not built in any way to achieve in one area more than another.

I'd just like to know what you think you will be replacing every year to accumulate a cost of 6k, other than modifying the car, just upkeep... No way in hell would I have been paying that.

The cost of maintaining my car would be about the same as anyone else with a performance car, decent tires, fluids etc.. As long as you keep it reasonably sensible with the modifications then the only wear and tear will be the normal.

Edited by heller44

where youd get 6k from ? and if your paying for just maintaince (and not new turbos/clutches etc etc) how is it any more expensive than ANY other car.

It costs about $6000 per year to just maintain a GTR.

Well ive decided to sell my 33gtst! Which was sadly gone last thursday! It took me a while to realise it would never be what I want it to be a GT-R! I spent thousands on it I even put a GT-R kit on it but each time I would do something to it, the more it would feel like it will never be a GT-R! Finally I let my baby go in order to find a GT-R! I really did like the 33gtst but it's not the same as a GT-R! You could always do a gtst to be as good or even better than a GT-R but at the end of the day it's only the GT-R's smaller brother! And your only just goin to keep modifing it to just keep up with the GT-R!

Ive just looked into getting one for a while and one thing that I realised is that the majority of blokes driving gtst's are just pimpled faced teenager's which is true have owned one, It is great that there are enthusiasts that have gtst's but there isnt that many of them, it's just mainly blokes that just want a fast car that dont really give a fuc# about their cars! The main reason why I like the GT-R is that alot of the majority of GT-R owners are actual enthusiasts! Im not saying if you have a gtst you are not an enthusiast im just saying there are more skyline enthusiasts with GT-R's! Plainly becoz of money or they like gtst's which is great!

Ive bet ive sturred alot of you blokes up but it's an opinion!

Give us your thoughts!

I think your making a good decision. To be honest, when i see gtst owners pull up next to me 8 times out of ten all they want to do is race, which leaves a gtst screaming off into the distance as i ease off the line. When a Gtr owner pulls beside, we look at eachothers car, give eachother the thumbs up and go on our way. i think there is more appreciation of the vehicles capabilities and generally speaking no-one needs to prove anything... Good luck with it all mate....

I think your making a good decision. To be honest, when i see gtst owners pull up next to me 8 times out of ten all they want to do is race, which leaves a gtst screaming off into the distance as i ease off the line. When a Gtr owner pulls beside, we look at eachothers car, give eachother the thumbs up and go on our way. i think there is more appreciation of the vehicles capabilities and generally speaking no-one needs to prove anything... Good luck with it all mate....

Yay, reach arounds all round. Everybody is a winner :)

where youd get 6k from ? and if your paying for just maintaince (and not new turbos/clutches etc etc) how is it any more expensive than ANY other car.

Its easy to spend $6K if you maintain your car properly, replace tyres once every 2 years etc. It works out on average between $100 and $150/week depending on how you drive your car so it seems. I started a thread on this topic about a week ago..

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Sk...l&hl=income

Maintanence costs shouldn't include insurance, rego, or fuel.. as well as blown motors etc. I won't say any more here, I'll leave that to the other thread because there seems to be a lot of self love there (did take a look). :)

james.

The price of maintence would differ on how you drive and look after your GT-R :bunny:

The thing is you only really start to have problems when you start moddifing! Then money becomes a massive issue! It's the same as any other car really! :P

Buy what you want. Do with it what you want. Its your money and your decision. After driving several of each I settled for a gtst simply because i felt it offered me better bang for buck. It is now an "out there" highly modded vehicle that can hold its own in almost any company And i derive an awful lot of pleasure from it.

As for costs, Its no less expensive to own and maintain a high output gtst than it is a gtr. Sure the gtr has a tad more hardware but as those who have been down the path know modding is not cheap and any extra cost involved is seen as small potatos when you look at the overall build expense.

There are gtr's I can best both on the track and strip and gtr's that can hand me my arse. Its all done in a good natured way with mutual respect toward each others chosen path. To date the only gtr owners who have tried the "superior" attitude are those without either the skills or the hardware to get within a bulls roar of my lowly (in their eyes) gtst. By and large the gtr boyz are a great bunch and we have a tunnafun together.

At no stage have I regretted my decision to walk the gtst path probably becuase i am an old bogan and simply love rwd style shenanigans. It is no disadvantage on the strip either, My 60 footer's are around the 1.6 so i dont think i am giving too much away in the launch department.

At the end of the day threads like this do nothing other than create division. I am sure there are more important and more entertaining issues to air on a forum than this topic.

I agree with fineline, spot on!!!

My decision was $$$$, I didn't want to pay another $10K for a GTR. I preferred to put that $$$ into my bikes, rifles, farm, and house [figuratively speaking]. I was only ever after a reliable, highish performance [+250rwkw] economical road car. I didn't need a track or dyno demon.

The skyline was the best option by far, better than anything available locally [holden, ford, suburu, toyota, nissan etc] better initial price, performance, and specs by at least $5k.

Mines been to brissy, sydney, melbourne, canberra etc etc etc and done it 'standing on its ear', exactly what I wanted.

Yeah it's true the GT-R is alot more expensive in maintance, performance parts etc but still a better performer, Its just like comparing the ss commodore to the hsv gts really!

I get it's all up to opinon, people perfer a rwd which some like the traction and also the money side, I spose the gtst would be a funner car than that of a GT-R on the street mainly because it dosnt cost asmuch if you damage and the boost side of it im pretty sure the gtr comes in boost slower than that of a gtst!

Remember the GT-R is a supercar and made to be flogged the shi# out of!