SAU Community

How Cheap Can A Coupe Be Had?

Hi, I've been keeping my eye on J-Spec for a few months now following the 350GTs on there, I've seen anywhere from $21,000 - $40,000+

Was actually really close to buying one a month ago (also test drove a 350z) but my car ended up in a crash and I couldn't wait for an import to get here. Got an 08 ES lancer but to be honest, not as happy with it as I thought I would be (maybe cause I've still got that 350z test drive in my head?)

So, question... is it actually possible to get a 2003 premium coupe for around the $20,000-$23,000 mark in pretty good condition. Not looking for any mods or really low kms, and most likely an auto.

(like this looks pretty good http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=13023)

Edited by DiamondD

the short answer is no

cars going for that price are generally non-premium with absolutely no features, or have higher kms

you've got to ask yourself why is it so cheap?

also, i think j-spec bases their prices on the listing priceof hte auction, and the car usually sells for a higher price than listed so take that into consideration

Mate you get what you pay for.

If your aiming for the lowest priced examples of any car, then expect the worst examples of those cars.

If you can't afford to look at middle of the range of a specific model then look for something else.

It is technically possible to get one quite cheap, but I agree with the above: you'll generally get what you pay for. There has been a large drop in prices the last few months though.

You find when cars are imported to Australia they are generally the best of the bunch in terms of specs, condition and features. That's what people will look for when you try and sell down the line.

Mate you get what you pay for.

If your aiming for the lowest priced examples of any car, then expect the worst examples of those cars.

If you can't afford to look at middle of the range of a specific model then look for something else.

that's what I'm trying to get a feel for tho. Apparently there has been a drop, so I'm not really sure what the going price is for one.

There is an incredible buying opportunity at the moment for certain models. In particular V35 Skyline prices have dropped through the floor. A great proportion of V35's are passing in at auction, which means they are not reaching their owner's reserve price. Some owners are keeping their vehicles in auction week after week with reserves set at where prices were a couple of months ago, but of course they are not selling. Buyers know this and with the hundreds of V35's available every week are being very choosy and are looking out for either real bargains or something special. Owners who have no choice but to sell are having to drop their reserves down to ridiculous prices to get rid of what are near new V35's with low kms. Special models or fully optioned examples are holding their value better but are still way down.

Where normally there are at least several bidders on the one car, now sellers are lucky to see one person bidding. So if you are flexible on your specifications then some real bargains are to be had. In many cases you could be the only bidder on a vehicle and pick it up for the reserve price which until recently you could only do if you got very lucky on the day and perhaps only once every few months. Now it is happening daily. One example today is a 2003 V35 350GT coupe in silver with 54,000 kms, auction grade 5.0 which sold this morning for the equivalent of about 1,024,000 yen FOB, approx. $17,800 complied, plus tyres and ORC's (fully on road for under $20,000). This car was like new and 12 months ago would have cost $10,000 more !

Edited by DiamondD

remember importers have a product to sell and money to make. there will always be a cherry on top when you speak to an importer.

they will tell you how easy it is and how the cars are cheap as chips.

yes, the prices of V35's are coming down but if they were 20k onthe road then prices here would reflect that.

don't get suckered into any "bargain" until you have looked closely at the car and the deal. also speak to those who have imported themselves before and see if there are any hidden costs or delays that you need to factor into your experience.

i would expect to pay over 30k for a decent example with the right features. remember also that when these cars come more common, its goign to be next to impossible to sell a car without the premium package - who would want cloth seats or no TV screen when the next car has it for the same price?

further to the point (bearing in mind I work on these things day in day out.) if you do find a cheap one do not expect it to be straight, have decent airbags or working electrics. I have been in a couple now that had been re done and the airbags cut out of them because it has been crashed.

food for thought.

I have todisagree, based on my experiences: there are some good cheap cars out there: I've got my 3rd and 4th cars (both V35s) from J-spec on their way over at the moment, and so far, I have been very impressed. You do have to take into account rego and tyres on their prices, but the 2 cars I have already received have been exactly as described: VERY straight, and mechanically excellent: My fiance refuses to sell the Chaser (my first J-spec car: Grade 4, 65000km) because it is so good, and the Legnum is EXACTLY as described, and owes me around $(pm me) registered, plus the wheels + tyres I put on it (it was advertised as $(pm me) landed and complied), which is right on the money.

I paid a fair bit for the Chargespeed 350GT, but I intend to keep and modify it, but I still consider it cheap.

The second V35 I bought as a parts car for the Chargespeed car was a complete steal: I budgeted for exactly what you're looking for: basic auto with average kms, and got a manual Premium with Leather and Brembos: grade 4.5A (immaculate), and inder 11000km on the clock. Admittedly, neither car has arrived yet, but judging from my past experiences with J-spec, I am extremely confident that both cars will be exactly as described.

I have no affiliation with J-spec, other than being a repeat customer due to how impressed I have been with both the caliber of the cars I have purchased, and their fantastic customer service. I had big issues with the compliance agent for the Chaser, but J-spec did everything in their poiwer to sort it out, and I can only sing their praises :D

I may have been lucky so far, judging by the other replies here, but I can only comment on my own experiences to date, which have been excellent, hence the reason I keep using them. For the record, I consider myself a high maintenance client, as I don't put up with any bullcrap, and expext things to be done once, and done properly every time, as that's what I'm paying for.

Just my 2 cents on the subject...

Now this is cheap!

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=13022

I agree to disagree...prices are good at the moment and it will all come down to research and luck in some cases.

I got that email from prestige as well and in some cases a bargain can be had. If I was in the market for a coupe now...no way would I be paying 30K+

Now this is cheap!

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=13022

I agree to disagree...prices are good at the moment and it will all come down to research and luck in some cases.

I got that email from prestige as well and in some cases a bargain can be had. If I was in the market for a coupe now...no way would I be paying 30K+

I don't mean to jack your thread DiamondD;

But just quickly, I'm also in the market for a coup - though in manual/premium.

From what I can see the market average is 30k

just a little worried I might be looking to spend to much after n15m0's comment :D

I don't mean to jack your thread DiamondD;

But just quickly, I'm also in the market for a coup - though in manual/premium.

From what I can see the market average is 30k

just a little worried I might be looking to spend to much after n15m0's comment :D

Sorry, let me rephrase that....the majority of coupes in the market at the moment available for under 30k from the auctions are mainly earlier models ie 2003.

For 30k+ you would be looking at the later models or Series 2s with the updated interior and a few other gadgets...not to mention possibly lower kms.

Everyone,

I, like I'm sure most of the rest of you, clicked that link and saw the TT 350GT and was impressed, however there is a bit of a sting in the tail.

Firstly, "No major accident history." - This makes it illegal to import this vehicle for road use. ANY accident history renders a vehicle illegal to comply and you would need a dodgy RAW to comply it for you.

Second, all those Gucci aftermarket parts also make it illegal to comply the vehicle with the intent of re-installing the parts. The vehicle must be standard when it is complied, and all aftermarket parts are supposed to be re-exported or destroyed. Again, you would need a dodgy RAW to remove these parts, obtain a plate from DoTaRS, then either supply you with the parts or re-install them themselves. In addition, the removal of a TT kit (and then re-installation) and all the associated ancillaries, in addition to sourcing standard parts (incl ECU) would cause a massive blowout in the labour and costs of compliance.

The vehicle looks good and is a trouser sweller for me like anyone, but would be a huge risk for anyone to bring in as if you were caught, the vehicle would have to be re-exported or destroyed, the complier would probably (almost definitely) lose their ISO etc accreditation, and if you were caught actually declaring false info on the paperwork with DoTaRS, you could even be federally prosecuted.

Something to keep in mind...

Edited by Garage Menace

On the accident history, on J-spec "no major accident history" really means "no accidents that would make compliance a problem"... if a car has been in a serious accident it will not be given a numerical auction grade. Panel damage and repairs are normally noted but in themselves would not usually be a reason to disallow compliance.

That car is super cheap if you can get it, even if you have to pay for parts to be removed and put back.

You will pay more for the following:

- "Premium" models (but not that much more)

- 6 speed manuals (which are <10% of the auctions)

- Low kms (I would consider this under 8,000km/year)

- Colours other than silver or white (which make up probably 80% of auctions)

- Extra factory bits like sunroofs, reversing cameras

If you want a silver, auto, average km car you can get it pretty cheap because they are plentiful. You will likely pay considerably more for anything a bit special.

Panel damage and repairs are normally noted but in themselves would not usually be a reason to disallow compliance.

Only if DoTaRS doesn't find out...

That being said, I understand what you are saying but according to the letter of the law, this vehicle is illegal to import if the process is followed as it should be, and it is only fair that potential buyers are aware of the risks associated in the event the powers that be end up doing a surprise audit during which you lose your pride and joy.

I am not being a wet blanket but believe full disclosure is a good thing, however I would look at buying that vehicle myself if it had 6MT, Brembos, leather and Bose...

Edited by Garage Menace

It all about what you want. I wanted carribean blue and under 25,000kms with premium pack. Cost a fair bit more that what the prices are your looking at now.

As was said, silver or white base model.. cheaps cheap

One more thing I didn't note - the other reason the cars are so cheap at the moment is the exchange rate... it is up 10% in 2 months... unfortunately I bought just before the massive rise, but you can never predict these things. Could have saved $3k on that alone.

The actual prices of the cars doesn't appear to have dropped THAT much.

Edited by MaXiMuS007

I just had a look through J-spec and noticed that really all the cheap coupe's are auto's.

Here's an example of a manual with 30000 k's and once you add every import cost plus rego etc, your looking at close to $45k.

http://www.j-spec.com.au/list/index.php?ID=12229

If it auto is what your looking for, then this definately seems like the time to buy.

That vehicle goes to show the real kms travelled by these cars...

Exactly!

I've said it time and time again, that anyone who thinks someone in japan buys a Nissan to wrap in cotton wool and park in the garage to only travel 20km's a year, is kidding themselves.

The cars are literally the equivalent of a Commodore here.

The above car is also going for higher than most very low km's cars. Why, maybe the auction houses know a true legit car compared to wound back crap??

Think about it, would you waste $700 odd dollars on a new dash if you knew it would fetch you $3000 more at auction? Without logs, the only thing you have is condition.