SAU Community

How Cheap Can A Coupe Be Had?

• 2 weeks later...

I see the V35 prices to have come down in a predictable gradient. I got my first 300GT Auto Sedan in 2005 for little over 25k (Premium with beige leather). I've waited this long to get the 350GT 6speed Coupe (I wished for back then) in 2008 for a little over 30k. The more there are in Australia makes it easier to insure and get finance etc (now there's a redbook value), but I don't see a massive drop lately - like I said I've been waiting for years to get a manual coupe and watch their prices regularly. I also waited with baited breath back when these could first come in and waited to pounce on the right one.

If your seeing large price differences I would be looking at ensuring the k's are correct (to good to be true usually is). I've found very light repair work on both my V35's - none of which was on the Jap report. My first 300GT had what was most likely the original oil! Like NISMO is saying - they are not petted like kittens over there before sold at auction (and auto/body repairs are usually poor quality).

I sure wish I had service history - for some strange reason they seem missing a lot of the time!!

Yep, I've seen a 2005 Coupe graded 5A and had decent under carriage damage when inspected. Like a car mounting a medium strip at speed.

Just be careful guys, that's it.

I think it's different when you shelling out 10 grand for a 15yr old R33 and different when it's 40grand for a 3yr old car.

When we (J-Spec) say 'no major accident history' what this means is there has been no structural accident history that would make the car a problem for compliance. We used to simply say 'no accident history' and then people would come on forums saying 'J-Spec are full of crap they say no accident history but the car has a scrape on the rear bumper'... you can't win! Blanket statements made by people on forums who don't know the full story is the bane of our industry!

Second, V35 prices are amazing at the moment and the exchange rate is awesome, the prices have definitely dropped considerably in the last few months. Prestige's email claiming you can get V35's as cheap as they claim has done a lot of harm because as people say for the really cheap stuff you will be getting a poorer condition car. However that said there ARE good bargains out there and for example people talking about spending $30k, it's actually HARD to spend that much on a series 1 these days so if you import yourself you can get just about any series 1 for well under this price.

so 2.3m landed for a late 05 coupe model in auto is good?

Hi Chris, you've kind of thrown me there quoting a landed price in yen so maybe I misunderstand, but if you mean 2.3 million yen in Japan then these days that's a little on the high side (though it depends on the car of course), if you mean around $23,000 landed then yeah that's pretty decent (again depending on the car).