SAU Community

Hks High Power Exhaust - Silent

Who has them? Anyone know their gain?

I was told that they don't perform as well because they are meant to be 'silent' .

just jap

Edited by Turbo 33

My friend had one on his car and I wouldn't have called it silent that's for sure. You could hear him coming from a mile away.

On the road both his and my R33's performed very similar with nearly identical mods. The difference was I had a HKS Super Dragger. Mine was much quieter especially low and the performance up top appeared to be basically same.

So, the HKS Hi-power Silent was a good exhaust and sounded pretty good too. In the end it just created too much attention and wasn't as nice to live with every day so he sold it. He felt like every second person was going to call the EPA.

I run HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust on my R34. LOVE IT.

It's quiet enough for a very free flowing exhaust. I think I sit on the dB limit at idle. Obviously it's a little louder when you're on throttle but I am running some mods that don't help that situation.

Cheers.

I am running one on my R33 full 3inch system and high flow cat with about 340hp atw.

As said already they are not silent by any means. They give off a very nice RB tone.

I don't think there would be any power loss unless you go a size that's too big for your set-up.

So any upgraded exhaust system will usually be much better performance than a stock set-up exhaust.

So basically if your after a nice tone and have the money to spend on one then they are a nice exhaust, But if your already running aftermarket exhaust and you are happy with the tone you already have then i wouldn't bother spending for a small gain if any. You could spend money on a better flowing high flow cat which would probably give you a better gain.

Hope my 2 cents helps you out.

Cheers

Nothing wrong with the HKS Hi Power Silent...as said...they still flow well...just that they have spent time to engineer a proper exhaust that keeps the noise down...

I went from a loud as custom exhaust with a cannon muffler to a quiet trust system and picked up a few kw actually...quiet doesn't necessarily mean restrictive...

I have the Hks silent power on my GTR. the sound is great, its loud enough. I bought the car with it, but from the previous owners experience the gains over standard exhaust are very good...

As everyone has mentioned above. Hard to question HKS's workmanship. You will without a doubt notice incredible gains coming on boost when added to a hi flow cat and front/dump pipe.

Don't get the HKS Silent Hi Power confused with a aftermarket exhaust that has a removable silencer. Those are what cause restrictions. If you pick up a HKS silent you won't find a silencer shoved in there.

m2c

I run HKS Silent Hi-Power exhaust on my R34. LOVE IT.

It's quiet enough for a very free flowing exhaust. I think I sit on the dB limit at idle. Obviously it's a little louder when you're on throttle but I am running some mods that don't help that situation.

Cheers.

Jeeeesus. If you sit on the Db limit at idle, thats pretty loud. The Db limit is supposed to be at 75% of peak power rpm; so 5500 rpm or something like that.

Shaun.

I got one on my 32 gtr.

I personally think its too quiet for me... it does have a nice idle tone to it.

I dont think cops will ever pull me over for the noise tho.

My hks hipower silent catback also has the hks front pipe with stock dumps..

I only noticed a big difference when i changed my catalytic converter (since my old random jap catback had rusted) to a 3.5inch hi flow one....

Gotta hate compliance cats :(.

I have an HKS silent series exhaust and I like it. I don't know what my "gains" are, but it is a very nice system for my car as it is a DD and I don't want to be obnoxious. My car came with it from Japan, but I also got a down pipe and a test pipe when I got it here and that made a difference in sound (little louder and deeper) and turbo also spools a bit quicker.

The only reason they named it silent is because they have added a small hotdog resonator in the pipe as opposed to the standard hks system which has none. So really it's not in reference to it being so quiet no one can hear you it's just they have added this little piss ant thing in to make it a little more street friendly than a straight through pipe. In terms of power gains, unless you will be running a big hp car I doubt you'll run into exhaust restriction problems.

Hi there,

Yep bought a hks hi power silent for my gtst running the 2835 pro s turbo kit. Way too loud - drove it round the block and took it off - sold and bought a trust PE 2 (Power Extreme 2) - it's much quieter and the car makes about 260 - 270rwkw.

The hi power silent sounded like a race exhaust in comparison and you'll get too much attention from traffic police - don't forget though that stock turbos bring the noise down in comparison to larger ones.

Hi there,

Yep bought a hks hi power silent for my gtst running the 2835 pro s turbo kit. Way too loud - drove it round the block and took it off - sold and bought a trust PE 2 (Power Extreme 2) - it's much quieter and the car makes about 260 - 270rwkw.

The hi power silent sounded like a race exhaust in comparison and you'll get too much attention from traffic police - don't forget though that stock turbos bring the noise down in comparison to larger ones.

^^^^Yeah, thats important to remember.

There is no point in comparing a car with a single highmount to a car with smaller twins (or single), as the turbine housing size makes a massive difference to sound. I remember when i changed from a 0.82 ar to a 1.06 ar and, with everything left the same, the exhaust note from the 1.06 was significantly louder.

Shaun

Jeeeesus. If you sit on the Db limit at idle, thats pretty loud. The Db limit is supposed to be at 75% of peak power rpm; so 5500 rpm or something like that.

Shaun.

True but with my setup, there's not much I can do to bring the noise down under load. I just have to deal with it. Unless I start shoving in silencers and no one wants that! To be honest, I don't think it's quite at 92dB at idle but it would be close.

Cheers.