SAU Community

Car Vs House

R34NRG

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought a place just over 2 years ago and held off getting another fun car until I had. That way I could work out my disposable income each month but even with that, I still over calculated slightly which was largely down to fuel. It is tough not having a nice car but have a pile of bricks because to look at and to live in you could be renting and for a lot less.

If you are buying, you need to buy well though if you want to make money from it.

It is a maturity thing as well like Paul has touched on, not everyone is ready for a mortgage which is fine. The Herald Sun had an artical only about 3 weeks ago on how many people of our generation had little or no intention of buying property but instead living life partying.

In answer to the question, it is tough but can be made easier by choosing a location where you can walk to amenities and if you have mates living close by. Just down to priorities in life

Edit - Be very careful doing what Madevo3 is suggesting above ^^

Example - Dont increase you loan by 30K over the life of the mortgage otherwise you are paying the 30K at 8% interest (if rates stay the same) for 30 years.

If you want to do this and you will need equity in the property to do it (remember anything over 80% equity is mortgage insurance), then do it for the life you would get a normal loan over e.g. 5 years. Needs careful thought and rigid planning with payments as it would be all too easy to put that 30K over 30 years so you are paying interest for that period on it which will amount to something quite huge.

hahahhahaha id love to hear someone actually use their car as a ice breaker though HAHAHAHHAHA.

i can only imagine a few of SAU's elite saying something like

"i aint got no pickup line, bitch get in my car"

meh - i'm gonna go slightly off topic - I ain't got no "pick up line" but i got a "Skyline" :P

I'll leave it at that.

meh - i'm gonna go slightly off topic - I ain't got no "pick up line" but i got a "Skyline" :P

I'll leave it at that.

should net you some hot 15 year olds

yeah it took me a cople of years of driving my shitbox around without a nice car but ya will wait if ya want ya dream car;) it helps when ya have got other people in your house paying it of as well. my partner has got a nice car and i have got mine and we survive alright ya just gotta cut back on some things to make it work

look it depends on how old you are... if you're looking to settle down, then yeah of course a house is a good idea/investment.

we all know that the house is the logical choice, there's no denying it, but a lot of people on here love their cars (not in a sexual way)

i know with me, when i think of money, the first thing that i think of is how i would spend it on the skyline. selling the car will deprive you of those daydreams. it's the main thing i look forward to....

but then again, a lot of older people look back and regret spending money on their cars, so i dunno, maybe i'm too young to judge this..

The house... 100%. I consider myself a pretty hardcore car fan, however you have to know when to take a break. I justify the time without something fast and fun, with the plan to get something better later.

Look at it this way... your Skyline won't be the last car you ever own. You will want something else. I don't know how many times I've said, "I'm going to drive this one until the wheels fall off".

Buy the house now, while you still can, properties are only getting more expensive. Hell, if you still feel the same and regret the decision, you can sell your house (most likely for quite a bit more than you bought it for if you hold out a few years), and buy a new R35 GTR. As based on past investment properties I've seen about an average of 100-200k increase. If not more.

If you stick with your skyline.. you will have a car that most likely won't run very well in 5 years, and realize house prices are insane by the time you decide.

just my 2 cents.

I would rather sleep in my own home getting the bus than renting and still paying off my car or even better - picking up these 15 year olds telling them to be quite as they walk down the hallway so they don't wake mum and dad :D

Lucky enough to have both the house and the car :P but we all have to start some where...

If i had say 100k and was in the dilemma of another house or a R35 GTR I can say without doubt the head waould say car but the heart says house. Loosing money on a car is fact of life which we all go through but I'm starting to get over it very quickly.

Im trying to manage a house and the skyline. Money will be tight as hell but I dont drive it much and the pleasure I get from the car is too much for me to part with. But worst case scenario I will sell it if I cant manage. Having said that ive just started working casually on weekends for extra cash. An option for some but I know alot of people wouldnt bother.

The house is going to go up in value. Its an investment. As much as I love my car it will only continue to decrease.

The main reason I have not got rid of the car is that I bought it on a load over a long period (7 years). Due to this and the large drop in price of skylines over the last couple of years, im left in a position where even if I sell the car I probably couldnt cover the amount outstanding on the loan still. But shit happens.

If you are worried about your social life, just think of now many friends you can hang out with in your own home as compared to your car. And swap the $90 of fuel for a couple slabs of beer :P

if you can support yourself and have a stable job then a house is the first thing you should get in my opinion. most things in life are going up in price so it is very smart to have a real investment asap whenever you can.

there will always be skylines and if you wait long enough there will be also be r35 gtrs :P

I'd got for a house since I've got one,

Getting rid of both my skylines to pay for alterations

I'm with Ronin though, no more new threads for andru, at least if he has a house he won't be driving on his P Plates crashing into innocent old ladies dropping their kids off at school in corollas, haha