SAU Community

Gt30/40 With 1.06 Housing On A 30det

CEF11E

hey dudes..

I have just come across a cheap 30/40 with a 1.06 rear housing and really do not know much about these turbos at all.

it is a new garrett item with no wastegate so i would have to buy an external gate and dump pipe aswell. my power goal would be 300rwkw and wanted to know what sort of boost i would have to run with this turbo to get 300rwkw and when it would start and have full boost by.

also would the 1.06 be a bit big? because if i can get away with a .82 or .07 housing and still reach my target i would prefer to do that.

alternately seeming as i work for ford I could get an OEM xr6 turbo for a good price. would i be better off going with one of those?

I am looking for fast smooth power delivery not lightswitch style. i have a hiflow at the moment and it is all on in no time and chokes up after 5700.

Hey Nic

i've got a HKS version of the 3040 - so i can give some info on that on the rb25 if you like.

i've attached a dyno sheet from the rb25 and a 1.12 rear housing with poncams, this may give you an idea on how it runs.

quick edit - this was done with a really crap wastegate that was sticking and causiong boost control issues. hence the 2 runs with different response and peak power.

post-5157-1215587553_thumb.jpg

if anything that turbo will be too small IMO, it will come on early, and i think you will struggle to hit 300, most that i've seen seem to top out before then, although a few have made it, they are buried in controversy questioning dyno operators and such.

do it anyway :banana:

Edited by VB-

my mate has a gt3040 0.82 on a 7m engine (3L single turbo) stock cams/internals and making 440rwhp on 19psi on pump fuel, still got some in it but hes worried the motor wont cope. Pulls hard from low rpm all the way to 7000rpm and making max power at 7k so he could rev it more and make more power. The 7m isnt known for good flow as well so on a rb30det it should work a treat. The owner reckons full boost (19psi) by 3300rpm or so.

Edited by unique1

ohhh sorry...

and to give you an idea...

300rwkw should be done at about 16psi.

20psi saw me 350rwkw and 25psi saw me 380ish rwkw.

This turbo is not to be sneezed at, if you only want 300rwkw get the .64 rear housing. If you want power then go the .82 or 1.06 depending how much power you want.

if anything that turbo will be too small IMO, it will come on early, and i think you will struggle to hit 300, most that i've seen seem to top out before then, although a few have made it, they are buried in controversy questioning dyno operators and such.

do it anyway :ermm:

WTF! :D

How many have you seen?

I plan to hit 300+rwkw, using a GT30R, with a 0.82 rear housing.

Hell i have already made 270rwkw, on run in tune, with the vacuum/boost line for the actuator running straight off the comp cover; no restrictors, solenoids or ebc's. Once run in is complete we'll be adding and extra 5psi (20psi max), more timing, better tune, adjustment of cam gears, boost controller, and an extra 1000rpm.

Here in my run-in dyno graph:

post-1811-1215602223_thumb.jpg

This turbo would come in hard by about 3500rpm, on a well set-up engine, and keep pulling hard up to redline. I would be very surprised if it didn't make 350+rwkw.

excellent! i was pretty sure it would do the job. the turbo i am looking at is stupidly cheap at $900. i would then have to buy a gate $400 and dump/front pipe and lines. so all up i should be able to get in in and running for less than 2grand.

but i am planning an injector, fuel pump and afm upgrade all at once.

turbo gt30/40 $900

tial wastegate $400

custom dump/front pipe in stainless $400

braided turbo lines $200

custom afm/turbo pipe and turbo outlet pipe $150

z32 or q45 afm $250

bosch 040 fuel pump $220

detchwerks 770cc injectors $440

so just under 3g and a few hours of dyno time should do it.

the car is being resprayed at the moment and will be back on the road it 2 weeks.

it's going to look cool :P

millenium jade r32gtst

no sideskirts, no pods, non mspec front bar.

guards rolled 2 inches

9 and 10" 3 piece mesh wheels powdercoated satin black

I am hoping its going to look stock but F#@koff tuff.

I will post some pics in 2 weeks when it is finished.

do it anyway :P

LOL!

ohhh sorry...

and to give you an idea...

300rwkw should be done at about 16psi.

20psi saw me 350rwkw and 25psi saw me 380ish rwkw.

This turbo is not to be sneezed at, if you only want 300rwkw get the .64 rear housing. If you want power then go the .82 or 1.06 depending how much power you want.

I thought you had a 3540? Did you try a 3040 first? What head work have you had done, if any?

excellent! i was pretty sure it would do the job. the turbo i am looking at is stupidly cheap at $900. i would then have to buy a gate $400 and dump/front pipe and lines. so all up i should be able to get in in and running for less than 2grand.

but i am planning an injector, fuel pump and afm upgrade all at once.

turbo gt30/40 $900

tial wastegate $400

custom dump/front pipe in stainless $400

braided turbo lines $200

custom afm/turbo pipe and turbo outlet pipe $150

z32 or q45 afm $250

bosch 040 fuel pump $220

detchwerks 770cc injectors $440

so just under 3g and a few hours of dyno time should do it.

the car is being resprayed at the moment and will be back on the road it 2 weeks.

it's going to look cool :(

millenium jade r32gtst

no sideskirts, no pods, non mspec front bar.

guards rolled 2 inches

9 and 10" 3 piece mesh wheels powdercoated satin black

I am hoping its going to look stock but F#@koff tuff.

I will post some pics in 2 weeks when it is finished.

Sounds great mate, I have got the XR6 version of the 3540 Housings: 0.5/1.06

Hoping to make in the mid 400hp area

What price can you get a XR6 Turbo from ford?

Good luck

there are always chance of plans :thumbsup:

I have decided to hold off on the upgrade. i gotta curb my spending habit for a while. I just seem to get bored and spend money on cars :P but i did a bit of thinking and decided 250odd rwkw is really enough for a daily driven R32.

yeah sorry, guess i'm not all that familiar with the GT30. i've never really seen em push much passed 300, obviously there are those that have done it, but most i've seen normally float in the high 200's. whose gone the highest with a GT30? and whose/what sort of dyno was it on? from memory cubes made a fair bit?

yeah sorry, guess i'm not all that familiar with the GT30. i've never really seen em push much passed 300, obviously there are those that have done it, but most i've seen normally float in the high 200's. whose gone the highest with a GT30? and whose/what sort of dyno was it on? from memory cubes made a fair bit?

Most people in Oz (its improving now though) seemed to run the crappy version GCG supply which I've still heard of people cracking 300kw with but not as easily. Most I have heard of all out is a Honda drag car running 410kw @ wheels on race gas on ~30psi on a hub dyno, I think it was a high 9s/low 10s car. In the states its generally considered a mid 400whp turbo on pump gas turbo I believe, on Dynojet or Dynapack dynos. Even on Mustang dynos (similar to Dyno Dynamics I believe) they run well over 400whp.

There are a couple of EVOs I know of running them which have done low 10s on pump gas at over 130mph.

Edited by Lithium

yeah i dunno, first thing when i saw GT30 it was just in the back of my head that its sorta good for just up to 300, i remember hearing a few people say that, but it was a while ago

^not saying it was the limit, but more to step up to a bigger turbo if your chasin 300+

yeah i dunno, first thing when i saw GT30 it was just in the back of my head that its sorta good for just up to 300, i remember hearing a few people say that, but it was a while ago

^not saying it was the limit, but more to step up to a bigger turbo if your chasin 300+

Of course :P I consider a GT3071R a up to 300kw turbo, I got the GT3076R with the intent on making the quickest possible RB25 setup without going out of the startard rev range or general nice driveability. I haven't tried yet, will have to toughen up the motor first but when I matched it up it was assuming I'd go for ~256deg cams(if I upgraded), forged internals and run around or slightly over 22psi and intend on cracking 330rwkw on a hub dyno on pump gas. I think that is leaving head room, as opposed to completely maxing out the turbo.

A 3076 is not the same as a 3040.

This is correct, don't think anyone thinks they are the same?? GT3076R/GT30R is the only one worth considering imho. The only people I know of who have run a GT3040R/GT3082R have wished they had picked or have just changed to GT3582R to find no major loss in spool but a lot more power.