SAU Community

Shell To Phase Out Shell V-power Racing

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simple economics.
I dont think so

Well that's what it boils down to. The 91 Unleaded market is much bigger and more profitable than 98 and 100 premium fuels. How much would the difference in profits be- in the hundreds of millions p.a.?

Enthusiasts burning fuel at trackdays are a drop in the bucket compared to 7-day commuters. Our demand can't support the production of VPR, every Skyline (and every other average to fast car) owner would need to use it daily. That's big dollars, and that's what the Shell execs are looking at on their stupid graphs and pie charts.

Any business owner here would DEFINITELY put their financial security/viability before customers' needs, unless you're a charity.

Ain't nothing charitable about internal combustion.

Well I'm still waiting on Shell Australia's response....some PR man is probably sweating it out in a basement somewhere :D

Good on your for speaking up. I'm impressed they responded! Champion :(

Thanks for the great news Shell, I had my car tuned on this - much appreciated!! My only question is...why did you even bother bringing out VPR100 if you were never going to commit to the supply of this product?? I suppose you never had the 100 in stock anyway ....... pack of d*ckheads...........

Went to my local shell to fill up last night, one of the only ones around to have v power raacing and it was... gone! I hadnt seen this thread and was very pissed. Despite cost, I had better economy and a little power, though my car has not been tuned to it, it was by far the best choice.

Back to ultimate i guess, F#$@ their v power with 10% ethanol.

HHmmmm, maybe the government should forcefully phase out 91 octane through legislation..

The Australian voters brought in the labour government to fix climate change, well lets make a start by getting rid of the most pollutant fuel...

:P

Hhhmmmmmm, what a nice thought... :P

Went to my local shell to fill up last night, one of the only ones around to have v power raacing and it was... gone! I hadnt seen this thread and was very pissed. Despite cost, I had better economy and a little power, though my car has not been tuned to it, it was by far the best choice.

Back to ultimate i guess, F#$@ their v power with 10% ethanol.

Hi momo

Just wanted to let you know that Shell V-Power is a 98 RON performance fuel that does not contain ethanol.

If you're interested in finding out more about Shell V-Power visit: http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId...troduction.html

Cheers

Adam

Hi momo

Just wanted to let you know that Shell V-Power is a 98 RON performance fuel that does not contain ethanol.

If you're interested in finding out more about Shell V-Power visit: http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?siteId...troduction.html

Cheers

Adam

When I first looked up the shell website some time ago, they stated that vpower was 10% ethanol and vpower racing 5%. I was prepared to overlook the 5% for the 100RON. there no longer seems to be any information on the ethanol content on their site. only an interesting disclaimer about how ethanol, despite popular belief, is not bad for your engine. previously the vpower/ethanol blurb had a warning that it may not be suitable for some cars. This was streight from their website sio who knows what the deal is now, tehy could have changed the formula? . I'll stick to optimax anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but we had the SAU Vic meeting last night with reps from Shell in attendance.

The bottom line is that the almighty $ has won and that it isn't viable for Shell to continue making it. In rough terms, 1% of the product that comes out of the refinery can be used to make Vpower and 1% of that can be used to make Vpower Racing. It then cost Shell 3 times as much to turn that into Vpower racing than to produce Vpower. Despite the fact that 80% of people at the meeting have their car tuned for Vpower racing we are a minority of a minority and that combined with the tiny percentage of the market means that VPR is an easy target. It is also interesting to note that partially due to Shell discontinuing this fuel they have lost the V8 supercar fuel sponsorship.

I understand all of the above and it does make sense from a business point of view to cull this fuel. I do however want to raise a point that hasn't been raised in this thread (I think) and its one I want Shell to heed....In the future as petrol becomes scarce (and more expensive) and transport starts to run on alternative fuels, the potential is that those people who raised their hands in the meeting who run their cars on VPR (the minority of a minority) will probably be the only people who run a conventional petrol powered car. This decision to remove a world class, top rate fuel will remain in our minds for a long time.

Best we all support United's Premium 100 then.

And time to lobby them for greater availability so they can pick up all the ex V-power racing customers.

We use a lot of this fuel as an outlet is just up the road and it is just as good as the Shell product.

LOL, careful Ben. Are you sure you want to push that line? I mean i am the one responsible for the loading / blending facility in Melbourne :P Do you really want to trust your engines to my engineering...i mean you have seen the quality of my spanner work :(

When I first looked up the shell website some time ago, they stated that vpower was 10% ethanol and vpower racing 5%. I was prepared to overlook the 5% for the 100RON. there no longer seems to be any information on the ethanol content on their site. only an interesting disclaimer about how ethanol, despite popular belief, is not bad for your engine. previously the vpower/ethanol blurb had a warning that it may not be suitable for some cars. This was streight from their website sio who knows what the deal is now, tehy could have changed the formula? . I'll stick to optimax anyhow.
And, if I heard correctly last night, the government has legislated that ALL fuels must contain some proportion (I think 2%, but will increase - Qld going for 5%) of Ethanol.

Was a bit concerned that they produced V-Racing to prove that the Ethanol wouldn't harm engines - experimenting with our engines!!!!

Anyway, not a problem for me, as I use Ultimate (mainly because the Citibank credit card gives me 5% rebate).

Best we all support United's Premium 100 then.

And time to lobby them for greater availability so they can pick up all the ex V-power racing customers.

We use a lot of this fuel as an outlet is just up the road and it is just as good as the Shell product.

Interesting mate...scotsman was telling me that you have had troubles with the consistancy of the United product....is this true?

• 4 weeks later...