SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Any particular reason tarmac regs still ask for a battery box over "adequately covered to prevent short circuit and leakage, in any position." as seems universal in the racing classes?

Gel cell, check - metal case, check - bolted down, check - terminals concealed with mounting bracket, check - inserting smallest commercial plastic box that does sweet FA for these types of batteries.........even inordinate amounts of hacking away and it still won't fit around rops....f #$#%^ker T01!

Not sure where that wording is from 2pee, but regulations for CAMS Australian Targa Championship event say:

"The battery may be replaced, and or relocated to any position, provided that it is located within an appropriate battery box and securely mounted. If mounted in the cockpit, it must be behind the front seat and of dry cell in construction. A blue triangle of sides 150mm indicating the location of the battery must be placed on the vehicle."

The wording could be tweaked re the box to be more general as individual setups define if a box is actually required, but I personally don't think the reg is very demanding as a cover of some kind is never a bad idea if its inside the car from a shorting point of view, in the case of working on the car, or in an off when something could come loose and touch the terminals and create an unwanted spark.

For all the messing about though, why not leave the battery where it is... and run a lithium carbon fibre battery such as what my company sells? :)

If you know how much of a weight-nazi Tony Sullens is then you might be surprised to know he left his battery in the OEM location and I sold him a 1.7kg lithium carbon fibre battery, the car would have run the 1kg version, but I was concerned it might not fire on E85 in Strahan on Leg 5 if it was too cold!... he came fouth outright from memory :)

Original battery real estate is now on-sold....and there's the small matter of the re-wire. If you'll take the loose gold coins in my pocket for one of those Li batteries though, might convince on the merits of the swap.

Wording is from Cams, typically group 2 and 3 regs, can't remember when a battery box requirement was last specified there, must have been a few years at least. Everything electrical is still covered and if it came to the case being ruptured, acid burns would only be a worry for the coroner.:D

Just my general rant, as it appears a box will have to be fabricated as no amount of putting the battery right side up, upside down or sideways will get it to co-operate with the pos plastic cover and available clearance.....seemed a good idea at the time!!

marlin - eat me!

2pee - a lack of room is the same in the case of my rx-7 too with it's new v-mount, so the dry cell is going in the car, but just with a cover over the terminals. just do what you think is the best solution from as health and safety point of view, then shoot helen an email with pics so it can be considered by the chief scruit pre-event so no suprises arise at the scrutiny check.

It's a bit half-arsed, but with the use of a hand held hacksaw blade and the wonders of adhesive backed velcro, something approximating a cover has been slid into place between the cage and the battery posts and reassembled in situ. Might make something better when the irritation level of squeezing behind the seat and monkey bars a few times pushes me over the edge.

factory fitted coke bottle? lol

liking the Orange though

yep gotta love bleeding an RB cooling system..

and as for the orange, never seen an orange one in Tassie, till i painted my engine bay,

2 day's later i walk into a bodywork's , and there's a 32 GTS4 in Ford Focus orange,

then last week i go and see one of my good customer's, and he say's "come have a look at my 200SX, i painted it Lambo orange!!"..

just my luck..