SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

, although I do need to review some video as we almost came to grief when our rythym was a bit too good and the car unweighted over a cresting corner I didnt expect and just about finished off the road. hard to pick that stuff up at Recci speed.

I hear you!

1:50 and 2:30. The first one was big. lol We had a dip. I think Timmy was looking forward to getting out for some lunch. :P

Edited by Marlin

^^ Going to be a long road Woo. I have all the main bits I need to get started but am under a bit of a promise to put it on the backburner until after this rather inconvenient wedding we are having in msrch next year. :) But am punching well above my weight so better lock and load before she gets wise and moves on. lol

Will hit it hard after that but realistically could take til the end of the year. (2012) Am quietly looking at accumulating parts now. :) First stage is to complete the IRS graft and then cage it. The IRS graft is my biggest concern. Gonna have to school myself on some of the suspension science. Will do the custom cages T45 cage import from the UK. Just need to wait until after Jan to make sure there arent any FIA changes that affect the current cage designs. Then just complete the Group C kit parts and paint it. From there its mechanical. Will look to get custom MCA suspension, and probably get Rohan Ambrose to build the engine. Series 5 turbo 5 speed, and modified MX5 rear to accept an FD RX7 diff centre. Then its just fuel system, wiring, ECU (MoTeC) and the interior. Sounds easy eh?? Scary thing is I could do all that and it might turn out to not be a good thing, or could require quite a bit of sorting as its not a known quantity like an EVO or Nissan. Could be a chance for 2013...or the IRS could go badly and the whole thing goes in the bin and I come to my senses and buy a nissan. :)

So no 2012 for me. Would like to get over there to be a part of it in some way, but will be in Tassie at the start of march for the wedding so might be a bit stretched to come back so soon.

You'll be there is some form for 2012?

That didn't take you long to type out did it. :P

I wish you all the very very best with it mate. We're all here for you, if you just wanna talk about things.

2012, would LOVE to be there in some capacity. I've not missed one since my first!

i've got my entry in for 2012, about to put my engine in and start testing the car. After this year, we know that we need more than two weeks between completing the car and the event.

What rear ends did FB's have from the factory?

Good to hear there is at leats one starter.

[quote name='sav man' timestamp='1318322549' post='6055948'

What rear ends did FB's have from the factory?

Live rear axle with Watts link I think. They do some pretty trick stuff for the watts link that makes em work att he track, but I still dont think it would be as good as IRS for the bumps of tarmac rally.

That said, the corvettes seem to make em work at the ring.

Edited by Darkside

imo, I would be inclined to try it with the live rear (but it will break with a turbo 13b infront of it, so hilux 4.3:1 diffs are popular). I loved the handling of mine. had Koni yellows and king springs, bumps never really affected it anymore than the IRS in the 33

but the closest to Tarmac stuff ive done is runs up the hills.

Hey since you guys are in ze tarmac circle,

Ive got a KKK K27 Turbo off a 930 Porka 911.

Anyone know/assosiate with the old 911 guys that would be after it?

Its just sitting here doing nothing

I don't think there are any/many 930 turbo's running in tarmac rally. Apparently the RS is a much better thing, (torsion bar vs semi trailing i think).

I think a proper 4 link is a pretty good thing, doesn't seem to slow medekie down