SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

Good news - the Register Admin accepted my answer to the Nissan question!

So, you clowns - I'm here to police some of this nissan rice-trash, so tighten up your blow off valves.

Let's get started:Understeer of Fail - Very bucking funny.

When I read this I had to hold on to my sides just to stop them splitting.It reminded me of when I nearly Understeered of Failed my way right up the back of certain pink GTR 35 on the Sideling in TT11.

If that's what happens when you get oversteer - I'm sticking with my snow plough rice boys!

Ummm, welcome to the forum!

Are you claiming your "kill" of a pink 35 as some sort of feather in your cap? Our 32 GTS-t waxed the thing! lol :P

Seriously though, have you ever considered re-arranging your interior, and facing the other way. It strikes me that the TT would actually look better if the front was the back, and the back the front. Could fix the understeer too?

Anyone else watch the re-run of 2008 TT the other day? See Rex's overshoot on Mt Claude (?) on the turn left uphill at the bottom of Cethana there...... ABS goin off its tits, in a 70's Porsche. lolol

Anyone else watch the re-run of 09 TT on late sat arv? Wooster was a star again! - no understeer of fail though.

what happened in the last day and a half, you regained the lead after your potato affair then let pye and broadbent beat you to the finish?

Top effort coming back from 37sec behind....

^^^ I Hadnt seen that one before so have recorded it... Might have been a moment of Woo overtseer of fail that I caught when I briely tund in and some bad gearbox noises according to the commentary.... :)

Cheers mate, don't forget Timmy sits beside me! :)

I remember we were particularly proud of our afternoon following the fence incident, picked up massive time to again lead after only two stages. Paloona was one stage that sticks with me as pretty awesome, we had the bit between our teeth.

The issue later in the event (day 4 midday or so) was our left rear shock completely seized up. The issue had actually reared it's head on the morning of Day 3, and we wasted heaps of time trying to find it.

That made it quite hard to drive as you could imagine, and the problem was amplified in the rain.

I've never driven through Hellyer Gorge so slowly, well, trying to drive fast but simply not being unable to generate any tyre grip or temperature, with a car that had a completed seized left rear. How we didn't crash was pure luck. The Rinadeena stage was no better, and it's 38klm long! :(

^^^ I Hadnt seen that one before so have recorded it... Might have been a moment of Woo overtseer of fail that I caught when I briely tund in and some bad gearbox noises according to the commentary.... :)

Yeah went in a bit hot I guess.... still don't know what the noise was. haha

Still, we only missed cleaning that stage my 4 seconds :)

^^^ Inspired driving Woo. Seemed to really drive yourself into the groove....although did I notice the intensity lift when the GTR was in sight? Noticed he deployed the James Bond smoke screen as things got close.... lol Cracking stage.

haha, we'd actually done a mega-recce on that stage and had notes of the surface change from the left hander at the spectator point, with a call of "high grip from here". That it happened to coincide with us spotting Savman in his 33GTR a mere bonus :)

lol, did you also get the bit a couple of kays earlier coming into a tree'd section "f**kING slippery in here".... related to my friend and driver in 2006 throwing a rental off there in the rain. hahahaha

I figured it mild mannered Timmy swore at me I'd really pay attention! :P

This is something we haven't really ever wasted hours discussing before - favorite Targa stages.

For Targa I'd have to say The Sideling, Sheffield and strangely enough Mt Rowland (and I prefer the direction of doing Mt Rowland to Cethana) are my top 3. Elephant Pass, Rianna and Paloona are unlucky to miss out.

But I'd say out of all of them Mt Buller is hard one to go past as an absolute best bit of road to drive flat out. I think its a combination of the twistiness, the quality of the road and the fact that the pub is waiting for you when you finish it.

Good point Snowy.

For me, I think it's Strahan (* best in the dry), with Sheffield close behind. I'm a fan of those gnarly stages, the ones where it's kind of like motorcrossing between corners. I get off on the transitions from left to right, all while the suspension is going from full compression to full droop.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Strahan also opens out at the end, with extended runs in 5th gear with some good sight lines and reward for some balls (not that I've ever really done any good on it, lots of room for improvement).

A little confidence is added in these fast bits because if it were to go really pear-shaped, there's not many trees. You'll just hit the spoon drain and roll across the grasslands off into the sunset. haha

Gosh, I want to go back!!!!!

Edited by Marlin

Yeah,

all this discussion isnt helping me stay away. :) Time to fast track the new build. I like the look of the opposite lock slides in the GTST. You definately had to drive that car. And agreed on some of the calls really needing to get your attention. Oh, and can ou answer me the "ron jeremy" call you put in YT's notes for TWP on Pelverata? :)

On stages, with my limited experience, Mt Roland was one of my faves. Was one I finished completely peaking and babbling absolute rubbish.lol Was my first proper long stage. Probabaly my other was Strahan. Start of the final day and I said to Krause, "hang on tight, we are giving this one an RHG" after giving time away on the way in the day before. Had a proper crack on wet roads and gambled on what i had learnt about where there was and wasnt grip and didnt crash. :)

Once you had your shit together, the blind flowing stuff was ace where you are commited over the blind crests and flowing it from bend to bend with the car really dancing, although I do need to review some video as we almost came to grief when our rythym was a bit too good and the car unweighted over a cresting corner I didnt expect and just about finished off the road. hard to pick that stuff up at Recci speed.

^^^ Cheers Woo. Have looked into buying something even part done, but havent found something on the same path as what I want to do so end up paying for stuff I am just going to redo or do differently anyway. Figure I may as well build from scratch and have something I have a full mechanical history of. Glutton for punishment. :) Gotta say though, Mazda is MUCH cheaper than evo stuff....at leats to buy....keeping it running might be a different story.

I'm certain if you flush out the right folks it'll be just fine mate. Lots of us Nissan guys just throw hate at them because we don't like the thought of being carved up by 1.3 litre chook chasers :)

^^^ Inspired driving Woo. Seemed to really drive yourself into the groove....although did I notice the intensity lift when the GTR was in sight? Noticed he deployed the James Bond smoke screen as things got close.... lol Cracking stage.

The GT-R loved shooting flames on every gear change and lift. You can fit alot of fuel out of 100mm lol.

I'd like to think Ben got his good time just to pass me