SAU Community

Tarmac Rallying Perpetual Thread

Marlin

the 'business relationship' is that Nitto is a brand division of Toyo in the USA (& Canada), with the marketing advantage of being 'made in the USA'.

http://www.toyojapan.com/cgi-bin/column/data/release/1119852599.html

Did Nitto North America's 25 staff develop an entirely new semi slick construction and compound and sell it cheaper than the parent company's R888, or is it built with Toyo technology and differentiated by a new look for the North American market? I'd be looking for any evidence that it is different...

My NT01's are clearly marked 'Made in Japan' Harry.

My NT01's are clearly marked 'Made in Japan' Harry.

ah, well there you go. So they even come from the same place as Toyo R888s! I assumed they were made in the USA. As the Toyo release says, Nitto are just a brand of Toyo.

ah, well there you go. So they even come from the same place as Toyo R888s! I assumed they were made in the USA. As the Toyo release says, Nitto are just a brand of Toyo.

Still does no mean that both Nitto and Toyo use the same compound or even that they are made in the same factory. For example, Toyota own Diahatsu yet both make their own distinct products.

balance of probabilities is strongly against you mate.

There's absolutely nothing to suggest the difference in the tyres is anything more than tread pattern. There is evidence that they're the same - eg Nitto are just a brand division of Toyo, they both use the same pic used to show their construction, they both have same treadwear, traction and temperature ratings...

whereas the only thing to suggest there is any difference is you saying there might be.

And Daihatsu isn't a brand division of Toyota.

anyway, that's enough off topic from me...

Edited by hrd-hr30

daihatsu a division of toyota? nitto and toyo not the same thing? next time your messenger comes bringing info... shoot him!

PS toyota own half of daihatsu but they are separate companies. nitto vs toyo on the other hand is more like comparing LEXUS to Toyota. as in nitto (just like lexus) is a made up 'brand' to market their products in another country.

Nitto more likely than not does use a Toyo compound, it's just interesting that in the US Nitto > Toyo by reputation, plus I like to stir Harry and his bad handling Silsomething :D

^^^^ have rung him and had a chat, and he basically has suffered a wake up call to the financial reality of tarmac rallying. After having a 15k weekend at Targa West, while he really enjoyed it, to live the dream and go east he has realised might be a bit beyond his budget. So plan is to down size and go back to his old STI which he has kept and carry on with the club level stuff here in the west.

Am serisouly thinking about getting it back, just to blast around in here and maybe take it ina bit more of a time attack direction (aero and more HP) as originally planned..........