SAU Community

Gearbox feels like shit!

hey,

car is now going. Changing gears is some what tempromental. I change gears, and get crunching. Could this be due to gearbox not having right oil in it.

i have used some castrol 75 W 90 W gearbox oil.

am a bit worried it could be stuffed, with a synchrose, but the gearstick does flow into each gear pretty easily.

any thoughts. or recommendations....

how much oil did you put in? because i was having the same problem....but mostly going from 1st-2nd...

its really important to only fill till it spills out from the filler on a FLAT surface...cause first time i changed mine i didnt lower it back down to get rid of excess...

did that last weekend and i had about 400ml too much and now it shifts heaps better....

im kinda having a little of the same problem too.. when i first take my car out in the morning when i go from 1st to 2nd, 2nd feels really tight but after about about 5 minutes of driving it loosens up and goes normal. what up with that huh. also sumtimes when your driving kinda normal and in 3rd changing into 4th it wants to jump out of 3rd while your changing..kinda like it cant wait to get in 4th.. what do you stooj`s reckon

Its got to do with the viscosity rate of the oil.When the oil is cold,its thicker which makes it hard to change gear but when it warms up,it thins out and gear change is easier.I know its expensive but try fully synthetic g/box oil.problems will be fixed.

I just did the gearbox oil on my R32.

I bought REDLINE lightweight Shockproof.

It's excellent.. I can't recommend it enough.

my second gear use to crunch but now it doesn't do it at all.

anyway, that stuff sells for $25 per litre.

I just bought the 3.78L bottle, $100.

The R32 GTST gear box takes 2.8L for those who are interested.

I know $100 sounds expensive at first, but when you consider that you change your oil every 5000kms and if you are using like MOBIL 1 synthetic, it costs you at least $50 each time.

how often do you change the gearbox oil?

It's a very good investment...

I found my one from Croydon Racing Development (or whatever they are called now...in silverwater, sydney)

i bleed the clutch lines again. and the brass button feels a lot better....

But then the clutch pedal welds snapped. So the metal casing which bolts up to the car makes the pedal stick behind the brake pedal.

was lucky i was only 2 minutes from home when it happened.

i am gonna do the gearbox oil again...

Does the clutch grab right at the floor ? does it feel like the clutch is not disengageing proply?

This happend to my car when i converted it to manual too.. my mate made me a adjuster that works a treat. he will sell one to you for a price. pm me if interested

It fixed mine RIGHT UP i was stoaked!!! now i gotta fix 4th and 5th gear syncro in box ;)