SAU Community

Dazmo's R33gtr Build

Wowzers! whats a crazy issue you had! glad you got it sorted! i been watching this build up and love it! never really was a fan of 33's but this gets me excited :wacko:

i cant wait to get out and attempt to terrorize them porkas!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Baron. Paul Masterson. Masterson motorsport/stafford tune aka MOTEC QLD has done all the wiring, light throttle and cold start stuff but as he only has a rwd dyno he has been useing mercury motorsport's 4wd dyno. Wich i personally think is a bit of a peice of sh1t seems like it is in need of a bit of maintanence last time I was there the speed control was playing up etc. And is a pain in the arse to trailer the car to brisbane for tuning.

So a mate of mine Steff Zalanek that ownes the dyno at chip torque (they lease the dyno and workshop from him) on the gold coast is going to finnish it off as i will get the dyno time and his expertise for the right price. He has a lot of experiance with Motec ecu's and has been tuning pretty serious mainly race cars here and thruought asia for a long time now.

Am very happy with Pauls job and is definatly no reflection on him that I will be getting Steff to finnish it off. It is just purely down to convience for me (5min trip from home). Paul will no doubt be involved as the car progress's and will also be doing some of the tuning down the track. These are the only two people i feel comfortable letting tune my car and as they are both extremely busy and traveling regularly it is good to have acces to both of them.

I have no doubt that the guys that do Mark and Russ's cars do a great job but i have the wrong brand of ecu for them and it is my personal opinion that they are in need of some serious attitude adjustment.

To much of a hassel and I personally am not a fan of tuning a 4wd car in 2wd as you will not see 100% accurate load on the engine in 2wd. Just a lot easier to take it to my mate 5 min from home + the hourly dyno rate for me = free. The main reason that i did not take it there to begin with was that he was o/s at the time.

thanks for that mate. you half read my mind. i've been thinking about giving the blokes at cnj the gig for the 32. certainly marks and russ's cars all seem to run pretty sweetly, and all seem to hang together (though that is as much a credit to mark and russ's work as it is just tuning). so since I'll be up north it was a thought I had.

to be honest I am pretty dissatisfied with most of the tuners i have used over the years for one reason or another. and you're right on the attitude adjustment. that probably goes for half of them.

the problem is most of the 'big name' shops wont put in much effort unless you're a repeat customer, or have a good and long relationship with them. some of the other guys I just doubt they are any better at it than I am, and many of them are worse and have less fundamental understanding of engine tuning than my own limited expertise so bugger paying for that. some others who are good but will only spend 1 or 2 hours on the thing and then expect to get paid their 'standard' $1000 for a tune which is farkin bullshit in my opinion too. no matter how smart they are $250 an hour for the tuning and say $150 an hour for the dyno (standard hire out rate in syd) is bullshit. I mean $250 an hour. people with a bachelors degree don't get that, and I don't know many tuners who spent 4 years studying engine tuning 3 days a week on zero pay...

the tuning I've had done in japan has been excellent. the guys there have had 20 years experience with RB engines, and tuned thousands. with a new engine they spend 8 hours with it on the dyno and 1 or 2 more on the road. they have 3 people with the car at all times. 1 tuning, 1 checking the engine bay, 1 to do other bits as needed. and they know their shit. and the price was fair for the full day they spent on it. but shipping a car to japan just for a tune is not worth it.

there are plenty of tuners in sydney I haven't tried, but don't really want to 'experiment' with a $20K engine. lol. i'm half way to tuning it myself, but I know my limitations and want it done well.

What ECU are you running in the 32 ? . If you are coming up this way and want to discuss some options further shoot me a pm or get my no from russ and Give me a call will be happy to see if I can help out in any way.

sticking with power FC for now. nothing too fancy. running sard 700s, nismo AFMs, nismo pump (but will switch to external/surge set-up). engine is fairly tame, though the head is pretty heavily worked fully ported, squish zones removed on one side, chambers CC'd etc. mild tomei cams, small HKS turbos.

I'm going to drill tap and plumb in the 2 nipples in cyl's 3 and 4 before I put the plenum and throttles back on in case I decide to do to DJETRO or something else. but I think the PFC will run this one fine. it will only be around 350rwkw or so. but should be very responsive and do some decent revs.

thanks for the offer mate, I will definitely talk to you before I come up. the more advice the merrier.

there are plenty of tuners in sydney I haven't tried, but don't really want to 'experiment' with a $20K engine.

$20k... That doesn't even buy you a good bottom end these days :)

So you are saying milk isnt any good? So you are indirectly saying boobies arent any good! Cant agree with you there! :)

You can't get better logic than that!!!! :ph34r:

Rhys

I have just had my 32 tuned by Mark & Russ's guys and have been really happy. It is the best my car has gone and the safest.

I agree with you all when you are talking tuners - I have paid heaps and been pissed off everytime until now. Don't get me wrong I don't mind paying but I expect a good job and finally after 3 years of GTR ownership i got that >_<

• 2 weeks later...

Is your 33GTR a V-Spec? If it is what did you do about the rear active-lsd diff? I'm trying to find out if there is a mechanical replacement you can buy. I am trying to work out if I need to replace it with a non V-Spec one that still has the ABS sensors to be able to install a mechanical LSD.

No mate is not a vspec. The car does have a vspec sticker on it that was on the car when i bought it. I am 99% sure that you will need to replace it with a non vspec diff if you want to fit a mechanical lsd.

Just a quick update Finally got some dyno time and got on top of some little issues with the car.

I was having some boost controll issues that were holding me back in getting the tuning done.

I originaly had the motec running the factory boost solinoid wich turned out not to be up to the job. Borrowed a boost controller of a mate that and thougt that would have sorted the problem but the solinoid in that boost controller ended up being stuffed as well.So put the good old trusty bleed valve on the car temporarily and problem solved.

Ended up getting a preliminary tune up in the car the map is still a little bit fat and still need to trim the maps up a little but will get this done once the new boost controller goes in the car as no doubt the the boost curve will change once this is fitted so will need to fine tune everything to get the best out of it.

We got the boost up to around 20/21 psi with a safe tune in it the car is making 557.9 all wheel HP at 7100RPM. The RPM limit will be around 8500/8800 RPM. we didn't push it any further on the dyno as the car was starting to squirm around on the rollers a little but as can be seen on the dyno sheet the power was still climbing so I would estimate that it is probably in the vicinity of 580/590 all wheel HP at max RPM.

Will hopefully get the new EBC fitted and get it back on the dyno towards the end of the week or over the weekend and get a bit more boost into it as the HKS turbos only seem to really come alive and get into their eficiency range at around the 25psi mark going from previous experiance with these turbos. so hopefully will get some slightly better results once this is all sorted and the maps have been cleaned up.

So glad to finally be seeing some light at the end of the tunnel :) . Will have another update with a few pics of some nice new suspension parts in the next day or so as well.

post-15992-1242047106_thumb.jpg